Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This paragraph is a good example of the terrible misinformation that gets spread whenever weight-loss is discussed.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt..._healthier.html

This article does not actually provide any evidence that diets don't work. It argues instead that diets are not worth the effort.

In fact, the article doesn't even mention a particular diet, except a single diet which seems to work pretty well (The dieting woman kept her weight off).

Claiming that weight loss does not affect levels of blood pressure, cholesterol etc. it cites this paper. One pg 866, you can see that the average amount of weight lost among participants was 2 pounds, a completely irrelevant number.

The article also mentions the second paper you have linked.

http://www.clinicalendocrinologynew...491e565887.html

Read the second paragraph, weight loss through diet and exercise decreased risk of kidney disease, depression, and care costs. So, it does reduce the risk of health problems, and pushing attention onto the risk of heart disease is dishonest.

Another important thing, the subjects of the study all had type 2 diabetes to begin. That's a disease with its own consequences, one that doesn't go away with weight loss, but can be prevented by losing weight before it develops.

Really

It's mostly bs. The most proven way of losing weight is to limit how much you eat. It is physically impossible for your body to conjure up calories out of thin air. People who can't lose weight, or regain their weight, are eating more than they should. I don't think people should shame and disrespect anybody, because stressing somebody isn't going to help things at all, but weight loss is entirely a self-directed thing that is easily controllable.

The problem is that your entire post is bullshit spoken from a position of privilege, aimed at blaming the marginalized for their own faults.

We have no evidence eating less works for losing weight. We have substantial evidence of the contrary. We DO have evidence that intentional overeating results in weight gain... that reverses itself as soon as you stop doing it. Meanwhile losing weight by diet and exercise has been clearly debunked repeatedly - it doesn't work on a societal scale, and it barely works on an individual scale - or frequently, it doesn't work at all, thanks to lipases being a bit fidgety.

We also have no evidence that weight loss helps with medical outcomes outside very specific cases. We DO have evidence that being overweight protects you from a variety of common health problems - consistent evidence, repeatedly challenged but never disproved. It's called the obesity paradox. It isn't a paradox.

We have evidence that being poor, sick and tired makes you fat.

And the rich and the privileged do nothing if not keen to find ways to blame the poor for their supposed shortcomings.

Health at any size is still dumb though. If you're fat, then you ain't healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Using "fat" for "obese". Just "overweight" is not necessarily bad, but there's a point where it's bad.

For the rest of it I'll read it before replying. Though, I did mention "societal scale". Proof: The change in obesity since people started preaching low-calorie diets and exercise.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

This isn't true in the least. Check out Nazi German concentration camps, and hell, most areas suffering from long term food shortages during and after wars. Minimal food = losing weight.

Is this choosing to eat less or not being able to eat?

Being poor, tired, stressed and sick fucks up your internal mechanisms regulating how much you eat / store.

The Larch posted:

That's not how proof works.

It's proof what we're doing is not working.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

Are you trying to make some sort of dumb dichotomy where choosing to eat less doesn't work but being forced to eat the same amount less does? Because that sounds pretty bullshit, op.

It's not a dumb dichotomy - one is where the person themselves chooses how much to eat, and one's where someone else does.

Both of these can result in weight loss. However, people do not in general have the ability to resist hunger when tired or stressed.

kikkelivelho posted:

What percentage of people actually have a medical condition that makes losing weight hard? I remember reading an article or a study or something that suggested that most diets fail because the people doing them blatantly cheated or didn't follow the instructions at all. Weight gain and loss depend entirely on the persons own habits, so turning it into some kind of a privilege issue is really dumb.

I lost 10 kilos last year through small diet changes and light exercise. I refuse to believe that 95 % of overweight people can't do the same.

Over 20% lifetime prevalence for long-term obesity-causing diseases currently.

Weight gain and loss have little to nothing to do with the person's habits and everything to do with the environmental pressures set on them. Try starving and still getting work done. It's a delightful feeling. You refuse to believe not everyone is like you, white, privileged, healthy and rich.

I checked all those studies and literally zero of them controlled for factors caused by the methods used for establishing the diets.

Counter-studies? Conveniently illegal. Can't expose people to those conditions deliberately in the name of science.

So, you're forced to look into studies on the effects of cortisol on sleep, effects of cortisol on weight gain, effects of poor sleep on tissue insulin resistance, effects of insulin resistance on insulin levels (well that one's easy), effects of insulin on lipases, effects of lipases on the body's metabolism, effects of sleep on leptin, ghrelin and the body's ability to process nutrients.

I cannot unfortunately not find non-paywalled links to those. The short version is that poor sleep and stress throw metabolism into a lovely state where the body cannot correctly regulate hunger. How the various diseases interplay into this is a chicken and egg scenario, in that we decidedly know which one was first but they're still pretty interdependent.

People who do not get proper rest - both mental and physical - get sick AND fat. Fixing this is relatively easy if you have the means to do so, but it requires for the stress (especially involving stress regarding money) to stop and people to have enough time to properly take care of themselves. Blaming fat people for being fat only results in them being sicker and fatter (and studies explicitly back that one up). Fat people trying to diet and exercise while already being exhausted from their daily lives only make themselves miserable - and fatter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fishmech posted:

Tons of people do have that ability, and this is a HUGE loving backpedal from your initial argument:

Hell, this is almost in direct contradiction of this post you made just up the page.

"Almost in direct contradiction" meaning "completely consistent".

My initial argument stands. It doesn't work for losing weight on an useful way, because if the people were capable of consistently resisting that hunger they wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. And all of these studies that result in positive effects regarding weight loss do not do it with only weight loss through diet and exercise, it also involves massive other lifestyle changes, mostly in the way people schedule their time. And the studies generally don't deal with the kind of poor people who don't have the money for doctor-guided therapy, the time to rest or the ability to stop worrying about money - or the very people this epidemic is affecting.

Series DD Funding posted:

None of which contradicts what I said. Eating less results in less energy availability resulting in weight loss. The problem is in the eating less, not its effects

No, which should explain how your point wasn't applicable to mine to begin with. Eating less results in less energy availability which results in weight loss... assuming the lipases work. Which they don't in a statistically significant amount of people. Take these people away from their daily lives and put them in a regimented, doctor-supported schedule and suddenly they begin working again, because it's the stress and lack of rest loving them up, making studying it a problem. And this is assuming the people are capable of eating less and still able to do their daily tasks without a further detriment to their survival (continued employment) - they're already stressed, further fatigue easily pushes them to a point where their work quality is unacceptable.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Series DD Funding posted:

(citation needed)

XMNN posted:

Are you saying that the body doesn't break down it's fat reserves when it's starved?

Only when certain criteria are met. These criteria are substantially hosed up by lack of slow-wave sleep and stress hormones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Blister posted:

What criteria allows the body to operate continuously without food with no weight loss?

Tell me

Did I say that was going to happen?

No, you'll just die. Well, you'll feel like utter garbage and oh-so-hungry first. Most people stop caring after long enough of that.

They diet, see no benefit, grow worse health-wise, their willpower breaks due to the hunger. No amount of dieting would cause weight loss, but it's their fault anyway for not dieting hard enough.

fishmech posted:

Nope and nope. You argued there is no evidence that reduced consumption leads to reduced weight. There is assloads of evidence that it does stretching back to the beginnings of history.

Your attempt to go "uh I actually meant that some people don't bother to actually eat less" is not the argument you made, it's a ridiculous backpedal that directly contradicts your original argument.

HFCS usage has been in a continuous decline since 1998/1999 in America.

I argued eating less does not work for losing weight, as you'd have noticed had you quoted the entire line.

I'm not backpedaling, you've just gotten lost in the straw.

• Locked thread