Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stanos posted:

Diets don't 'work' because half of them are stupid crash diet stuff and you can't make it temporary if you don't want to rubber back back when you've lost the weight.

You can see this just in the phrasing people use: "I'm going on a diet", versus say "I'm changing my diet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's not really a single "bad food" you can point to and say that this is inherently unhealthy.

You would have more success regulating dosage/portions, but to do that requires rationing which is never going to be a popular method as long as the food actually exists.

Brannock posted:

The problem, I think, is more the sheer prevalence of preprocessed meals and snacks, along with a general inability to cook for oneself. Go to your local grocery store, look at how much of the store space is devoted to basic raw ingredients or minimally processed food vs how much is devoted to brand-name boxes of highly processed and engineered food. (I'm aware that I'm stepping into a minefield of pedantry about basic foods like cheese or bread going through a bunch of processing but I trust that people will extend me some benefit of doubt and know that I mean stuff like Hungry Man dinners, Pop-Tarts, Doritos, etc, and not buckets of sour cream or cans of soup stock.)

Well, anecdotally for me it's a lot more than what you seem to be presenting. Here is a floor plan of the grocery store I shop at (not the exact store, but the same general design):

https://www.heb.com/static/pdfs/guide-sanantonio-102.pdf

Ignoring the inedible stuff, the vast majority of the layout is devoted to fresh produce, minimally processed things like cheeses and meats, and a wide variety of other basic things like canned foods or pastas. Meanwhile, frozen items have a small handful of shelves (there are also more shelves devoted to things like cookies & soda, but it's still not really that much in the grand picture).

Certainly there are other grocery stores that do things differently, but I notice this quite a bit. Even Walmart has major chunks of its floor plan devoted to fresh produce & bread instead of just pre-processed stuff, and the latter is much more attractive for them.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 25, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's not even clear that "home cooking" would save the day anyway. In Mexico a lot of their foods are fatty and calorically dense but because they're (at least historically) very active you don't notice that much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Effectronica posted:

Mexico also has an increasing obesity epidemic.

Hence historically. In both cases the issue isn't "people forgetting their food culture in favor of capitalism" or whatever, it's them not being as active as they were in the past.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

khwarezm posted:

Hooooooly poo poo, look at Saudi Arabia, fully half of its adult female population is obese.

I mean, so would you if you could eat stuff like this all the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeusExMachinima posted:

Fine. Outlaw a BMI over a certain number if the body fat percentage is also too high so you don't nail bodybuilders. Cops can eyeball/cite 420lb. blobs on the street and it'll create the appropriate atmosphere. Let them figure out their best personal solution then starting with skipping meals.

This solution works because it allows racial profiling as a viable tactic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cole posted:

It should also be noted that in S Korea, the place I brought up earlier, their fast food sizes run significantly smaller than they do here. Their larges are more compatible to our mediums.

Which apparently isn't doing much based on their rising obesity rates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cole posted:

If you don't think it has an effect on fast food intake you're being willfully obtuse.

Well, in that case then fast food intake obviously doesn't matter as much to obesity rates as you have concluded, based on S. Korea's rising rates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cole posted:

The obesity rates in S Korea is 4% though. So it has risen at most 4%, which is pretty insignificant compared to here.

Depends on the rate. Also it likely depends on age distribution as alluded to earlier.

If only 4% of (eg) people under 30 were obese, then that's great, but more likely it's much much higher for young people and the elderly who lived during the time it was a backwards dictatorship are keeping the numbers down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SgCloud posted:

What about vegetables and fruit?

Usually cheaper and more prevalent (i.e., you can get them during larger parts of the year) than Europe.

Although here anyway, the latter is usually because we get them from Mexico & South America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solkanar512 posted:

Not enough is being talked about this. How in the hell do you expect people to cook healthy things at home or exercise regularly when they have to work multiple jobs, have hosed up split shifts or get to work massive amounts of unscheduled overtime? Even if you do nothing more than sit at a deck, you're going to be mentally exhausted after 10-12 hours of that.

We keep talking about throwing fad diets out and moving towards a model of having better habits, but that lack of control and stability can be a significant hurdle.

A lot of that has nothing to do with the average workday. For example, you might work multiple jobs but still only work 40 hours a week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also what they don't tell you about fish is that most of it is frozen anyway, the "fresh" stuff is just left out to go bad quicker.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solkanar512 posted:

Why are you only considering averages when I'm talking about something completely different? Also, you understand that there's a thing called travel time, right? Or that shifts might not line up nicely with available transit options?

Of course transit times exist, but your argument is much more solid if you instead argue for regaining full time employment instead of "cutting the work week".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Are people really getting fat because they're going to the store and buying tons of junk food and soda, though?

Yes, that seems to be what the "just buy rice & beans" people are arguing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Also American restaurant portions are just out of loving control. Cheesecake Factory portions are routine now it's a national disgrace.

Eh, on the other hand it's culturally acceptable to take home half your meal here, while in Europe you get weird looks if that happens.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There are multiple answers to "why are people getting fat" that people have claimed ITT:

1. People are eating some strange new food that makes them fatter.

2. People are eating more food in general.

3. People are eating the same, but their activity level has decreased.

All of these factors probably have at least some contribution, so the question is what do you want to do to deal with it? " Personal willpower" is so far the least convincing argument.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ervin K posted:

And why is that exactly? I'm really curious because it's seems like a perfectly fine argument to me. I mean it's not a magic cure all that will solve all problems but at least it's grounded in reality.

Because in most other situations "personal responsibility" will brand you as a Libertarian. It's kind of hard to see why it wouldn't here, especially since this is an issue that's highly correlated with poverty.

(Yes, I mean poverty within that particular nation-state, not that poorer countries are more likely to be obese when in fact the opposite is true)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fishmech posted:

Honestly even just listing amounts of calories and and all that such doesn't help much. After all, that's been radically improved by making that stuff on all the food at the stores since the 90s mandated nutrition facts labels, but it only tells you for a "2000 calorie diet" based on a certain model person and yadda yadda.

Maybe we could do with an effort to get everyone worked up by doctors on a regular basis to determine what balances of stuff each given person needs, so they know that this burger is about 12% of Carl's daily needs but 40% of Sally's, or whatever.

Also a 2000 calorie diet is actually far below what most people need, especially if they're actually active.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wiregrind posted:

increase the tax exponentially if it's an irresponsible parent giving health problems to their kid

A reminder that both of these proposals will disproportionately target poor minority women.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This analogy doesn't work the way you think it does. If 'unprotected sex with strangers' is 'eating anything and everything you want', then 'abstinence' is the equivalent to 'starve yourself to a sub-20 BMI!'. Sex-education that emphasizes appropriate protection is where you want to be and that is our 'portion control'.

Except in this analogy your sex ed is "condoms exist, but you'll have to figure out where to buy them and oh there's also a million different versions, of which a significant proportion are fakes".

Actually birth control would probably be a better stand in for condoms, but same idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

While no different nutritionally, there is value in being aware how much is native to the product and how much is added for taste.

Not really, any competitor can just make a "low sugar" version and advertise it that way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

Sounds like a net positive, as opposed to hiding added sugar in your ingredient list under 6 different kinds of syrups.

No, I mean in the status quo people can just make a low sugar version.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

I'm not a proponent of encouraging artificial ~*~LOW SUGAR~*~ options--but some transparency over what sugars are added artificially during processing would be helpful in making better food choices.

Or what it would do is encourage minimizing "added sugars" while ignoring overall sugars (or calories, etc).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

Minimizing or reducing added refined sugars would be a net positive.

Even if overall sugars went up?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

You walk 1mph?

Average walking speed is about 3mph, so adding a walked mile there and back (so 2 miles total) would add 40 minutes total.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Eventually they hit the upper limit of the caloric intake derived from their lifestyle though. Very few people keep eating and eating as they balloon, many overweight people have simple settled in a comfortable but unhealthy routine. I made the assumption that he's eating exactly the same to show that weight lose is in fact possible through exercise, which you contest. Finally, I find it hilarious that the person who sole idea to contribute to combating the epidemic is "don't eat so much" can turn around to other people and say if their idea is so good, why is there fat people at all.

I guess the question is, what makes you think this person won't eat more to compensate? Especially since we're talking about less than 300 calories, which is like a large soda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeeMajors posted:

Maple Syrup and Honey are still added sugar when put in apple juice.

Not if you market it as "Apple Juice with Honey".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

You said it yourself, these people will have to feel hungry. Feeling hunger causes stress, which is a detriment to human health.

It's not a detriment in all circumstances, no.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

You are technically correct. Stress is a part of our physiology and has beneficial aspects to the human experience. So does pain. If somebody said "This would cause pain and that would be detrimental." and you said "It's not a detriment in all circumstances, no." it would be overly semantic, as it is here.

Well, you're also assuming the stress is chronic, when instead it would be temporary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Would it not impede weight loss in some way?

Yes, but so does the stress generated by extra exercise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

The difference is that the person who is exercising is pre occupied with something and generally consumes a lot of fluid(Hopefully water.) which inhibits the feeling of hunger. The person focusing on not eating is the person trying not to think of camels. Boredom causes stress and hunger too.

I don't see why someone not eating can't drink water too.

Oh and it's not like they're skipping a meal, they're just ordering 1 Big Mac instead of 2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Okay so here is the problem, you are directly addressing points I was making to fishmech, and I don't feel like those are the points you were trying to make? If you are trying to follow fishmechs reasoning I would say that 1 big mac is only 257 calories and while I think that would be a good start by his own definition is not "meaningful" weight loss. If you're following your own reasoning, I would point out that you could work out, drink water, and kick it back to 1 big mac and you'd lose double to triple the calories, not feel hungry, (Less likely to overeat.) and not feel bloated by just drinking water without sweating it out. (Ironically gaining weight due to water retention.)

Yeah and the point is that it's easier to just not eat a Big Mac instead of doing all of that.

Like here's the point: If a Big Mac has 250 calories, and working out for an hour burns 250 calories, then not eating a Big Mac is equivalent to working out for an hour. It's much easier to not eat a Big Mac then to work out for an hour.

Yes, if you did both you can reduce your net calorie intake even farther, but that's not the point. The point is that between two activities that reduce your caloric intake by the same amount, one of them is much easier than the other. Because it's much easier, it's much easier to sell to the general populace.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

It's not easier though, it's just easier said than done.

No, it's objectively easier. Doing Nothing is always easier than Doing Something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Your body is not doing nothing at any time. It's the difference between resisting the urge and not having the urge at all.

Not Doing Something is easier than Doing Something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Enjoy your abstinence only approach, they have been so successful in the past.

The abstinence of only eating one Big Mac instead of two.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

The abstinence of intelligence apparently.

I see you've had a headstart on that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

What does science say about all this?

Oh look at that, research from the society for researchers and practitioners in nutrition directly supports what I've been saying w/r/t successful weight loss and directly contradicts the just eat less crowd.

That's a self selection bias. For people in current society, if you lose a lot of weight you're likely to both do constant exercise and eat less. It says nothing about the relative ease of doing so for people in general.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

Oh hey more research.

All the scientists are saying the best way to lose weight and keep it off is diet AND exercise. Wow that's totally different from what you guys have been saying! I wonder where ya'll got your information from?

Best is not easiest. Again, learn to read.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

They've said exercise is irrelevant to weight loss, that is factually false.

They've claimed it's easier to just eat less than to eat less and exercise, long term weight loss trends suggest otherwise.

I never said exercise is irrelevant, I said it was harder.

Your data doesn't support the latter point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlipUp posted:

If you fail to keep the weight off, than it wasn't that easy was it?

That's actually a completely different metric, which is relapsing.

If eating less was so hard, you wouldn't see weight loss in the first place.

• Locked thread