Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

endlessmonotony posted:

Using "fat" for "obese". Just "overweight" is not necessarily bad, but there's a point where it's bad.

For the rest of it I'll read it before replying. Though, I did mention "societal scale". Proof: The change in obesity since people started preaching low-calorie diets and exercise.

That's not how proof works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

endlessmonotony posted:

It's proof what we're doing is not working.

First of all, saying that there is a "change in obesity" is not sufficient. First, you must identify when people started "preaching low-calorie diets and exercise" in order to give you the time frame. Then, you will need to demonstrate, using evidence, what the change in obesity was over this time period. You will also have to demonstrate what link, if any, there is between people saying you need to eat less and exercise to lose weight, and people eating less and exercising. You will also have to identify all other factors that could cause a change in obesity levels and either rule them out entirely or account for their effect on your numbers. Then there's some math stuff you need to do to see if there's a meaningful correlation, but I don't know enough about that to explain it in any detail.

So, to start out, when did people start "preaching low-calorie diets and exercise"?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

You pay an extra percentage of income tax equal to the amount over your ideal bmi.

Do we get deductions if we're under our ideal bmi?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeeeep. Name anything, any enumerated right, we wouldn't make a limited exception to if it was killing hundreds of thousands and/or millions per year. If screaming "I HATE JEWS" on Youtube was psychically slaying people at this rate and racking up a Holocaust 2.0 every few years we'd pass hate speech laws yesterday. 2000+ calorie diets don't even rate. Get over your loving self.

How many deaths per year, at minimum, do you need to restrict a right?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cole posted:

Probably the same amount as it takes to restrict the right to own firearms.

my point is there is a precedent to restricting rights, or at least wanting to, that I would bet you support, based on the number of lives it costs

Thank you for telling me what my opinions are and why I have them.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

What's your standard I guess I'd ask? Working under the assumption that there's an enumerated right to stuff yourself, which there isn't.
I'm not the one saying that things should be restricted based on deaths resulting from it. Answer the drat question.

quote:

The current system kills millions, mine doesn't. Stop trying to distract from that.

EE: like I can't emphasize this enough. Legalizing literal murder would get fewer killed annually short of organized genocide. Try to be consistent.
Explain how your system prevents obesity-related deaths. I'm not seeing it.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

Make walking in public while above a certain BMI/body fat percentage (whatever point that obesity is defined as beginning at) a citeable offense no different than smoking the chronic/smoking anything on public property is in some cities like Los Angeles. More extreme cases that are clearly over the line will be cited most often because cops can eyeball those instantly but it'll establish an atmosphere that gives people an immediate motivation they don't have right now. Immediacy is the key. Death by eating yourself under the table is potentially decades down the road so that's obviously not getting the job done currently as stats and trends indicate. Look at people who smoke for proof of that.

If you're going to say we can't do that because that'll especially suck for some people that's exactly why we should do it. That's how punishments work. It's not a punishment people will work to avoid if it doesn't suck. Millions dying sucks more than any bind this law would create. I'm sure we can have an exception to the BMI rule if you have a doctor's note that your body literally can't operate under a certain level of obesity for whatever reason. And that'll be rarer than hen's teeth in reality despite what HAES types would like to believe.

e: I can't believe people are saying I hate people who aren't fitbros or I'm doing this for my boner. Overweight types aren't as attractive IMHO but the statistical risk and death isn't associated with it in the same way as obesity so I think that should be legal. :shrug:

So what I'm getting is that you completely lack any sort of mechanism to prevent people from becoming obese or to get people who are obese to stop being obese, meaning that you will not, in fact, reduce the obesity-related death rate one bit. Odds are you will increase it, as stigmatization causes people to avoid seeking professional help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK, let me drop the mask here. Pretend I bolded that whole thing. I totally agree with what you're saying Jarmak but just remember to apply this logic to every other public safety law and you're well on your way to joining the mostly libertarian team. :) I think this thread is the most individual responsibility and personal freedom-ish I've heard DND ever be!

Also check my first post in this thread. Incredibly nobody called me out on my 180.

What you were doing, or at least attempting to do, was blatantly obvious. You were just absolute garbage at it.

e: I really can't understate how incredibly awful your attempt was. Like, if I was trying to create a strawman of someone trying to make your argument the way you were making it, I... probably would have actually made a better argument, to be honest.

The Larch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 27, 2015

• Locked thread