Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Most obese people are not nutritionally deficient in anything except the nutrients in which people of normal weight are commonly deficient (like vitamin D, vitamin B6, iron in women). Deficiencies vary quite a bit by things like race and ethnicity, or by income, but not by BMI. I truly have no idea why this is an argument.

People are fat, ultimately, because they overeat. Their dietary choices influence overeating. This is not only through the lack of satiety from a given food, but also by certain foods that actually promote increased hunger. There are, therefore, foods that will make it more difficult to stick to a diet that allows one to maintain weight. It's a misnomer to call these "unhealthy foods," but they are still foods that should be limited in the context of a diet because it is nearly impossible to have a healthy diet that involves a substantial amount of them.

Many of these foods fall into the very arbitrary and very loosely defined category of "processed foods," so even when people use that poo poo garbage term, they might be making a reasonable point. There are also foods which make it very difficult to overeat, and many of these fall into the very arbitrary and very loosely defined category of "whole foods," so even when people use that poo poo garbage term, they might be making a reasonable point.

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Some ways of eating X calories will leave you more hungry than others. This is all that most posters are trying to say.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

And those ways are so variable among different people that there's none you can recommend to the average person, sight unseen.

Absolutely false. There are many foods which universally promote satiety relative to calories, such as lean protein and fibrous vegetables. There are many foods which universally promote hunger/reward relative to calories, such as high sugar candies and baked goods, sweetened beverages, and fried potatoes. What is up to the individual is finding a balance that allows for a sustainable diet at below maintenance calories.

Moreover, though at no point have I been obese, I personally lost 20 pounds several years ago without feeling any more hungry than on a diet where I was gaining weight. It is possible, given intelligent food choices, and aided by exercise.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

None of that's good enough to make up for suddenly eating thousands fewer calories per day less than you used to. And that's what you need to do start getting down from obesity. Again, assuming you aren't going to get a lot of it out of the way through lipo or similar interventions.

The typical obese person needs to lose closer to 80-100 pounds then 20 pounds though. That requires a much more different amount of calories per day compared to what they ate before, then cutting 20 pounds and staying steady does. Things that work for minor weight loss without discomfort aren't going to cover you for major weight loss, at least if your goal is reduce to a normal weight in less than many many years.

Yes, but:

(1) That does not mean there are not different degrees of hunger. You are not either hungry or not hungry. Food choice will influence this.

(2) Someone who is 300 lbs can begin eating like someone who is 280 lbs, and reduce calories further as they lose weight, rather than immediately eating the calories for their goal weight. This is actually the standard medical recommendation.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Fishmech, sorry, but you are fundamentally and provably wrong. If you do not believe it is possible to lose an average of ~2 lbs/week while fully comfortable and energetic, go ask YLLS about it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Just not eating all they wanted already makes them not fully comfortable dude. Change is not comfortable. People don't get fat because eating too much is unenjoyable.

You are wrong. People often settle on diets that make them feel better than before. Are you projecting?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Autistic? Not autistic? It is not false. It is in fact a dichotomy.

Anyway, literally nobody important in public health, nutrition, or obesity research agrees with fishmech so we should all let him have his moment and move the gently caress on. The best case scenario here is that we end the discussion with him thinking that he's smarter than everyone.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Before now, I thought it was self-evident and common sense that there exist behavioral strategies that can make eating fewer calories easier, but I guess you can't assume anything in D&D.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Crystal Geometry posted:

I don't think this is what he's actually arguing. Given how he mentions YLLS and stuff I think it's quite clear that fishmech understands this. I think he's saying that these strategies don't work unless the person is committed to them, and that creating such commitment on a macro level isn't possible.

Odd interpretation. The claim I'm reading is that there are no guidelines or strategies that can help a greater number of people remain committed to losing weight than saying "eat less."

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

http://www.satin-satiety.eu/project-overview/

quote:

Why do some foods fill us up quicker than others? Food experts understood that flavour, texture and visual appeal of foods contribute to the sensation of being “full”. The SATIN research project is dedicated to identify which ingredients and processing methods of several food components (proteins, carbohydrates, fats) and categories (bread, fish, dairy etc.) accelerate satiation, suppress appetite and extend satiety until hunger appears again. Satiety-enhancing foods can help with energy intake and weight control.

SATIN – SATiety INnovation is a five year, €6 Mill. EU funded project which aims to develop new food products using the latest processing innovation techniques. Exploiting better understanding of the biological processes in the stomach and the brain that underpin what makes us feel “full”, the project will evaluate whether this approach is a viable weight management tool.

There are existing foods that will fit into this framework; it doesn't require novel formulation.

http://www.full4health.eu/project/

quote:

Obesity is a major public health problem across the developed and developing world. Fundamentally, overweight and obesity is the consequence of calories ingested as food and drink exceeding those that are expended through metabolism, thermogenesis and activity. Excess calories are stored as body fat (adipose tissue). Accumulation of excess body fat is associated with metabolic diseases such as type II diabetes and cardiovascular disease that have a major impact on longevity and quality of life. Although a number of drugs have reached the market for the treatment of obesity, most of these have subsequently been withdrawn due to the emergence of unacceptable side effects. This has provided additional impetus to attempts to develop dietary strategies for the obesogenic environment, and specifically for a food solution to address the issue of over-consumption of calories and the consequences of this.

Full4Health (‘Understanding food-gut-brain mechanisms across the lifespan in the regulation of hunger and satiety for health’), is a €9 million EU Framework 7 project which brings together 19 multidisciplinary academic and industry collaborators from across Europe. The project will investigate mechanisms of hunger, satiety and feeding behaviour, and how these change across the life course, effects of dietary components and food structure on these processes, and their possible exploitation in addressing obesity, chronic disease and under-nutrition.

Research Undertaken:
The Full4Health project will integrate investigation of human volunteers and laboratory animals with emphasis on neuronal, hormonal, molecular, physiological, psychological and behavioural responses to food at different stages of the life course. The main human dietary intervention will compare, for the first time in a single study, responses to food in 4 age groups (children, adolescents, adults and the elderly), in males and females, and in lean and overweight. Physiological and psychological responses to food may change as we develop and age, with impact on food choices and preferences. For example, it is unknown to what extent the release of gut peptide hormones which are involved in meal-processing, but which also signal satiety to the brain, is developmentally regulated. This may be a critical issue in the battle against food intake-related chronic disease, most commonly driven by over-consumption, but also in consideration of relative under-nutrition in the elderly and clinically compromised. The Full4Health project will examine the interaction of food and dietary components with the gastrointestinal tract, and will characterise the role of gut endocrine secretions, the vagus nerve, and hindbrain, hypothalamic and forebrain structures in signalling and integration of hunger and satiety. We will also apply imaging and other cutting edge technologies in both humans and rodents to answer critical research questions at different levels of the food-gut-brain axis.

Policy implications:
Strengthened understanding of the mechanisms of hunger and satiety, and the potential to manipulate these mechanisms through the diet has direct relevance to any strategy to prevent obesity and overweight, since these conditions are primarily driven by over-consumption of calories. The behavioural, psychological and mechanistic data generated following the stratification of the general population into age groups will also relate to policy strategies being pursued to promote healthier childhood and healthy ageing, key issues in view of the alarming progress of childhood obesity and the projected national demographic. Additionally, there is potential to grow the food and drink sector by developing diets, foods or supplements that exploit the role of food in the food-gut-brain axis to promote healthier lives.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's incredibly difficult to eat 2,500+ calories in grilled chicken breast and broccoli compared to 2,500+ calories in the things obese people actually eat. That's not really up for debate.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sure people are sitting down and plowing through 6-8 chicken breasts in one meal all the time.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Astrofig posted:

Except carbs, which have a ton more calories than most things so you shouldn't eat them.

Um

I'm really tired of playing the "are they trolling or just stupid" game in this forum

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Fat people certainly have done it and do it, so it's stupid to tout any foods as "a thing you can eat all you want of and not get fat". If you were just trying to say "if you eat a reasonable portion you won't get fat" then hello, that's also every food ever.

Though someone else was, I wasn't saying anything as extreme as "you can't gain weight on mostly chicken," because people do that (but usually deliberately). I'm saying that the dude who eats mostly chicken is far less likely to gain weight than the dude who eats mostly fast food and sweets, because you need to eat a comparatively massive volume and weight of food to get the same calories off of chicken. Most people get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a pound of lean meat, whereas most people don't get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a Big Gulp of soda.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Don't argue with me about things I'm not trying to argue about like "lol there's chicken in fast food", I'm disproving the following moronic claim: "Calorie for calorie, all foods provide the same satiety response."

The research programmes I posted about upthread are fundamentally based on the idea this is not true; most public health solutions are based on the idea that this is not true; the demonstrated short-term success of food-class-restricted diets in RCTs is explained by this not being true; and I can't imagine you can find a single legitimate citation that claims it is true.

In contrast, it's trivial to find articles that claim the opposite, that calorie for calorie, different foods produce different satiety responses. Five seconds of effort got me this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104

quote:

OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to produce a validated satiety index of common foods.

DESIGN AND SUBJECTS:
Isoenergetic 1000 kJ (240 kcal) servings of 38 foods separated into six food categories (fruits, bakery products, snack foods, carbohydrate-rich foods, protein-rich foods, breakfast cereals) were fed to groups of 11-13 subjects. Satiety ratings were obtained every 15 min over 120 min after which subjects were free to eat ad libitum from a standard range of foods and drinks. A satiety index (SI) score was calculated by dividing the area under the satiety response curve (AUC) for the test food by the group mean satiety AUC for white bread and multiplying by 100. Thus, white bread had an SI score of 100% and the SI scores of the other foods were expressed as a percentage of white bread.

RESULTS:
There were significant differences in satiety both within and between the six food categories. The highest SI score was produced by boiled potatoes (323 +/- 51%) which was seven-fold higher than the lowest SI score of the croissant (47 +/- 17%). Most foods (76%) had an SI score greater than or equal to white bread. The amount of energy eaten immediately after 120 min correlated negatively with the mean satiety AUC responses (r = -0.37, P < 0.05, n = 43) thereby supporting the subjective satiety ratings. SI scores correlated positively with the serving weight of the foods (r = 0.66, P < 0.001, n = 38) and negatively with palatability ratings (r = -0.64, P < 0.001, n = 38). Protein, fibre, and water contents of the test foods correlated positively with SI scores (r = 0.37, P < 0.05, n = 38; r = 0.46, P < 0.01; and r = 0.64, P < 0.001; respectively) whereas fat content was negatively associated (r = -0.43, P < 0.01).

CONCLUSION:
The results show that isoenergetic servings of different foods differ greatly in their satiating capacities. This is relevant to the treatment and prevention of overweight and obesity.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 21, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Noam Chomsky posted:

You definitely feel more full after 600 calories of steak or chicken than 600 calories of pizza or chips. Part of it has to do with the body's glycemic response to simple carbohydrates.

I'm debating whether this is worthwhile to point out, but I'm pretty sure the relationship between glycemic index and hunger is weak at best. e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968699 It's a bit more complicated than just carbs -> insulin -> hungry.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

It is correct that your experience that you can shovel a whole bunch of pizza in your mouth and don't want to do the same for chicken is irrelevant. So stop saying it.

The same is true at a population level. Calorie for calorie, chicken breast is more satiating than pizza. It may or may not be universal, but it certainly is true for the majority.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

You're aware pizza with chicken on it exists right? To consider them to be entirely seperate things is folly.

I did not see that one coming! That's creativity!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

and people's tastes vary so widely that there's little to recommend. Due to the way many people's tastes and preferences run, what one person could happily sit and eat all day is what another person might only be able to stand a moderate amount of, and a third person would outright refuse.

This has been refuted by published research, including, but not limited to, studies that I already posted. There is no universal diet plan. There are individual foods which are more or less satiating, universally, because of their physical nature and how human beings respond to them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

twodot posted:

While these posts can't both be wrong, they both have the same serious flaw. fishmech claims to know something about every single food (there is no individual food for which a person won't vary), and BRAKE FOR MOOSE claims to know something about every single person (there is a food for which all people don't vary). Neither of these can be supported.

This is true, and it is a mistake in logic. Since it is not essential to my point, I will back off on "universally."

Some of the major contributors to satiety are volume, palatability, and protein, fat, and fiber content. Individuals are likely (if not certain) to vary in sensitivity for things like stomach mechanosensation, sweet taste perception, and hormonal response to macronutrients, so individuals will certainly have different subjective satiety ratings. That the effect exists, and is strong enough to pick up in the kinds of studies that nutrition scientists do, is sufficient ground to block out foods into groups of "high satiety" and "low satiety" as recommendations to the general population. In other words, foods at the low and high ends of the "satiety index" are likely to be low and high across the population, because it depends on basic biological mechanisms that are essential in metabolism.

The important take-home is that this makes it effective advice for food choice: if you want to feel more full for fewer calories, try these foods. This is useful advice to incorporate into a diet plan, since consistent adherence is the #1 problem. This doesn't solve non-homeostatic eating (not hungry, but eating anyway, out of habit or desire for some taste) but it certainly makes things more pleasant.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 22, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

I really haven't seen the evidence of the opposite of my post, which is a food that every human being both loves and will happily eat a whole lot of.

Who ever said you had to love it? You don't have to love it. You have to eat it. We're explaining why you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Not claiming that weight loss is easy.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FSMC posted:

Fishmesh doesn't believe what he is saying though. The issue isn't that he's stupid or wrong, it's that he thinks he's more intelligent than everyone and can out argue anyone whatever their position is. He is simply trolling, and the fact most people don't notice and argue with him, means he's pretty good at it..

It's usually interesting because he makes people fix their bad arguments, and this forum is bad argument central. It's just annoying when he's either clearly wrong and losing badly (e.g. here), or is only right when he totally misrepresents what people are saying (e.g. Uber). More often than not I actually find it interesting, as opposed to posters like MIGF, Arkane, etc. I like to engage because it forces me to think about the words I'm using when talking about something I care about. And also, because Fishmech is fat and I thought there was the outside chance he might have internalized what he's saying out of self-sabotage. I'm done now though, because I finished making my points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

To be completely fair, most HAES bloggers or "fat activists" are the mobile obese. They aren't anywhere near 500lbs. They're fine with moderate walking and swimming (and the new craze is pole dancing...) The people who are scooting around in motorized wheelchairs aren't as delusional as the people who are living normal lives but obese. And that is the sinister part - these people have decent bloodwork and post videos of them being not entirely sedentary and extrapolate that to perfect health. Most of these people are not having health problems now aside from limited physical endurance (which, as they'll note, is true for anyone who doesn't exercise), but they are at massive risk for health problems as they age.

I wonder if there are any "body positivity" people out there who openly poo poo on HAES. I've seen some who will never say a word about it (e.g. plus size fashion bloggers) but I get the impression that their audience wouldn't tolerate the suggestion that losing weight is a good idea even if you're happy in your body. That seems so weird to me, but I've never been in their shoes.

• Locked thread