Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Leroy Diplowski posted:

3. Set aside a pool of money for federal grants to create wellness oriented green spaces and community fitness programs in places that suffer the most from obesity

My town recently opened a large park with walking trails, playgrounds, and multi use paths right between a low income area and downtown. Since it opened I see an amazing number of overweight people walking, biking, or doing yoga and aerobics in the common areas. I have nothing to back this up, but I have a pet theory that just seeing people out and about being active makes a sedentary person more likely to become active. Especially if the person working out looks like them.

We've already established that losing weight is hard. Why not make it easier bit by bit in any way that we can?

A park near where I used to live had bars, benches and other things meant for adult fitness. gently caress the gym, I did my prison workouts in the park. Now I often supplement my home gym by working out on the monkey bars at parks but people think you're weird. I think what's socially acceptable also undermines people's fitness effort. Unless you're jogging or in a gym people feel comfortable heckling you. I've also seen fat people catch grief for even trying. What the the hell is that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I just wish we didn't work so many hours. It makes scheduling exercise with all of of my other household chores difficult. The last thing I want to do is spend more time at work doing whatever lame workout they came up with. I want to lift weights.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I think the concern might be the ever escalating ridiculous flavors that make it less and less likely that a person is going to enjoy the simplicity of say, a carrot. That's an extreme example maybe, but now that my diet has been pretty clean for several years, I'm realizing that it's not that healthy foods taste bad or boring, it's the other stuff that's just way too intense.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Wow. I just try to choose igredients that are nutritionally dense for the calories. I used to not do this. I also was overweight and felt like crap. I eat pretty plain foods and mostly cook my meals. Just a sautéed brussle sprout has a tremendous amount of subtle flavors all by itself that keep me plenty entertained. Awhile ago I was at an event and they gave us free Doritos. I used to love those as a kid. Sure they were super tasty, but it was cloying and just over the top. I feel like if I went back to eating that kind of stuff regularly, I'd lose my appreciation for subtle flavors again.

But I guess earlier in the thread we were attacking the idea of such a thing as nutrition even existing and all that matters is calories so I don't even know anymore. I'll stick to my delicious lightly seasoned veggies and meats as that's what works for me. I didn't realize that made me some kind of flavor pussy.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
After losing a bunch of weight and getting fit, I plateaued for awhile. I cut carbs and then lost that last bit of flab and became lean. But here's what I think really happened: in changing my diet I think I just ended up replacing the carbs with healthier lower calorie and more filling alternatives.

That was years ago and since I've been eating carbs again. Certainly not flabby now but not the mean machine I used to be, despite commensurate activity. I'll probably go carbless for awhile again, not because I believe in some voodoo about carbs, but because it's a simple rule that leads to lower caloric consumption. Carbs are delicious and all, but I can make some pretty good dishes without them.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I have also known a handful of sickly fat vegans who ate fuckloads of chips, peanut butter and substitute mayo.

There is also my aunt and uncle, but they spend much of their free time gardening and cooking. The food they bring to family gatherings is really good, but that's because they are skilled and willing to devote the time. It might be worth mentioning that their rationale for their diet is more about sustainability and animal cruelty. They're definitely health conscious too, which is why they are careful about their diet.

Anyway, I hate to be some answer in the middle type, but doesn't it make sense to just eat a varied diet with a complete set of nutritional requirements, yet also has the optimal amount of calories for ones goals? While I'd love to ditch the meat, it's too much work not too so I just eat mostly vegetarian with a little meat here and there. I'm lookin' and feelin' pretty good! Some other diet might work for someone else depending on their tastes, capability, and resources.

I mean, what are we even trying to do here in this thread, find one simple diet solution for everyone?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Flaky posted:

Yes. We need an understanding of the issues that is based on scientific evidence so that we can do things like plan a food supply system that meets the nutritional needs of the population, for example, by incentivising food manufacturers to provide healthy foods. We also need to provide accurate information to people if they want it, and ensure that those who are in the care of others (the elderly, children) have adequate nutrition provided for them. Currently old people do not receive enough protein, which compromises their health quite profoundly for various reasons.

Oh, okay. Well that makes any of our personal experiences or knowledge of other's experience with diets kind of irrelevant then. I guess it could be as simple as promoting foods that have high nutritional content for the calories, or is it not that simple?

Anyway, fishmech, I think when people around here say unhealthy I think they mean poor nutrition to calorie ratio. If I had a certain calorie limit for the day, having a Big Mac leaves me little room for much else and that would suck. While HFCS are not going to give me cancer, I eliminate them from my diet because there are belter, more interesting, less calorically dense things to consume.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Is there any data or study out there at all that has tracked not only the what, but also the how much of what fat people and not-fat people eat? It looks like everyone here is either manufacturing theoretical diets or sharing their own and that's not really helpful at all. Just, knowing fat people, having been overweight and knowing what worked for me makes it really hard for me to believe the only diet variable that leads to successful and healthy weight loss is simply quantity.

All I can think of is the fat chick at work who's been vegetarian for two decades eats huge amounts of carbs and dairy to feel satisfied. We go out for Mexican and she has rice burritos with cheese and nothing else in them because she is picky as gently caress and doesn't like anything else. I have experienced her going through multiple diets where she restricts calories but doesn't actually change what she eats. She ends up miserable and she's always having some health issue, whether or not she is dieting. Fair enough though, her diets where she changes what she eats don't work either, but mostly because she hates what she's eating.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, if you are really fat and commit to actually carefully counting and restricting your calories, the first 10 pounds that you lose are way easier than the last 10. Getting rid of bad habits leading to the loss of the first 10 pounds can be pretty hard though.

For your main question, I have no idea, but I'd be shocked if there were studies out there which did not rely on self-reported data. People often delude themselves about how much they eat, so obviously take all of that data with a grain of salt.

I really responded to your post to say: how can you be a vegetarian and not like beans? That's like one of the major food groups in the vegetarian diet. That's pretty incredible.

We are all glad she doesn't like beans because when she briefly went carb-free and was forced to introduce them into her diet, the world was a smellier place.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Eatless can't fail, Eatless can only be failed. Allahu Snackbar.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Fry the chicken, pour ranch on the broccoli to make it palatable and now you've got a mess. This is why my coworker, who has been put on a diet because of sleep apnea, is driving me nuts right now. He's been whining everyday about how bored he is with his food and how gross veggies taste. He's literally shoved his Tupperware across the table with a big dramatic sigh that he just can't eat it, then complains about being horribly hungry.

Just eat the loving broccoli you big babby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Trent posted:

There are plenty of spices and flavorings that add little or no calories. Not everything needs ranch.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also multiple kinds of vegetables so if you don't like broccoli you can just like, you know, eat something else. This idea that healthy eating = broccoli is absurd.

This guy... it's like impossible. He complains so loud that we all feel compelled to say something, so we give him unwanted advice and then he retorts with why this or that doesn't work. But he's bent on eating stuff he doesn't like, or approaching it already thinking he's not going to like it. His wife can cook just fine. She made lemon/garlic chicken today and it smelled good. Without tasting it he poured Tapatio all over it while laughing loudly. Okay duder. His snack today was white-chocolate chips. Well, they were pink, I think leftover from the baby shower. Ugh.

I take it back about the broccoli. I misremembered. I was eating broccoli and another coworker was eating asparagus. He made gagging sounds and complained about the smell. I don't think he's ever eaten broccoli. I saw something green on his plate once...maybe it was just lettuce.

Oh, and earlier this week he brought in a loaf of white bread and made a tripple decker sandwich while heckling our resident keto-guy.

Now that I type this out...I'm realizing this guy is really obnoxious. Ask me about him five minutes ago and I would tell you I thought he was great. I usually like working with him, but lately he's just crabby and short and whiny.

He also has IBS.

He doesn't even look fat, but he is not well.

silence_kit posted:

Saying that in order to diet you have to live the life of an ascetic monk is going a little overboard. A lot of the posters in SA's fitness forum are ex-fat kids, and they don't seem to be constantly unhappy about not being able to scarf down junk food all the time like they used to. A lot of them don't live on diets of only chicken breast and broccoli too.
Yup! That's me! (Except my diet now isn't that strict) I was horribly bullied too. This one little girl would take my lunch because I "didn't need it." You'd think I'd have food issues, which I did up until I moved to another country for a year which really reset my diet. But I also grew up with a vegetable garden, so plain or lightly seasoned veggies don't bother me. I just also ate too many cheetos...dunked in cottage cheese. Ugh, why did I like that?!?

• Locked thread