Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

good morning yospos

my coffee grinder broke this morning and i'm in a foul mood

then it is not a good morning

new cjs thread :firstpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cjs: day ending in y, hailing satan

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Solus M.D. posted:

in all seriousness dur is a p cool dude, 10/10 would hang out with and mispronounce name of again

hmm is dur=elder postsman?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

cjs: day ending in y, hailing satan

it's a short workweek for me \m/

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

gave me one of my all time favorite tater pics tho

crop this pic and make it your av

it's very good

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Captain Foo posted:

then it is not a good morning

new cjs thread :firstpost:

i have tickets to the pats game tonight so it kind of evens out

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
cjs: unity is weird when you don't know what's going on

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I went to a "cool" bar in Kanda in Tokyo and like it was great but people were smoking and I forgot how super gross smoking is.

so gross

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLittle posted:

c turkey s:

20 lbs is a lot of turkey

looks like a bound turkey-worm

how long does that cook for? granted that you take its five hearts out first and wash out its pharyngeal muscles

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I went to a "cool" bar in Kanda in Tokyo and like it was great but people were smoking and I forgot how super gross smoking is.

so gross
the last 10 - 15 years has done a good job making smoking uncool

now cigarettes are for poors and cigars are for republicans and pipes are for goons

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blinkz0rz posted:

:worship:

be sure to dress warmly. wind chill in the teens tonight

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BeOSPOS posted:

it's a short workweek for me \m/

i'm working until like

midday tomorrow

lomarf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

sick2nasty

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

BeOSPOS posted:

:worship:

be sure to dress warmly. wind chill in the teens tonight

ya I have like 5 layers on right now and brought 2 more with me to work

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I watched a bit of that hayao miyazaki documentary and it's amazing how much he smokes, dude's a loving chimney

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

ya I have like 5 layers on right now and brought 2 more with me to work

nice, how many hats u wearin'

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Blinkz0rz posted:

Jealousy js. Third floor on a monday have a fantastic day getting after it everyone

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
it's lightly snowing here

today is going to be good because snow is good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
things i don't do very often: be impressed at the behavior of a college athletics program

In Tallahassee, Florida, one institution, aided by a regional tribe, has worked hard to show that not all representation of Native imagery and symbols are created equal and at least one tribe is being given the opportunity to decide exactly what works for it.

“For almost 70 years, Florida State has worked closely, side by side, with the Seminole Tribe of Florida in a relationship that is mutually supportive and built on respect,” says Browning Brooks, the assistant vice president for university communications at Florida State University.

The university, whose athletic teams are known as the Seminoles, embraces its relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida and considers members of the tribe community partners. The tribe’s involvement is critical to the success of the university, say officials, not just a group of people whose name might conjure up inspiring imagery for student athletes on a war path.

“This may be splitting hairs,” Brooks says, “but we do not have a mascot.”

The student who portrays the great Seminole warrior Osceola and rides the Appaloosa horse Renegade during football games must maintain good grades and demonstrate personal character. Portraying Osceola on game days is a great honor and one that is supported by members of the tribe, the women of which sew the garments worn by the Osceola actor, according to the university.

At Florida State, Brooks says, the university maintains an ongoing relationship with the tribe that goes beyond just “a man in feathers on a horse” riding out on game days. Instead, the university has “the honor” of being affiliated with the tribe, which administrators work hard to integrate into the entire university experience.

Tribal liaisons are heavily consulted on many university initiatives; they are also included in the shaping of many traditions and are invited to celebrate in many of the most prestigious ceremonies on campus. In exchange, the university helps to preserve and teach the culture of the only Native American tribe never “conquered” by the U.S. government, as they never signed a peace treaty. Tribal members also crown the homecoming chief and princess with authentic Seminole regalia.

“The university welcomes these opportunities to expose our students, faculty, staff and alumni to the Seminoles’ history and traditions and reflects what we value as an institution: multiculturalism and diversity,” says Brooks.

The relationship, she says, has been endorsed on both sides.

“In 2005, the Seminole Tribal Council took a historic step and passed a resolution affirming its enthusiastic support for the university’s use of the Seminole name, logos and images,” Brooks continues.

The resolution “recognized Florida State’s continued collaboration with the tribe to include prominent participation by tribal members in many of the university’s most meaningful events and to seek advice and direction to make sure the tribal imagery we use and the history we teach our students are accurate and authentic,” Brooks says.

Not lost on the Florida State community was the fact that the resolution passing was unusual for a culture that “rarely puts such things into writing,” according to the university. Due to the uncommon nature of the resolution cementing the institution-tribe relationship, members of the university community say they feel the gravity of responsibility accompanying the representation.

“If at any time [the tribe’s members] were to decide they are not okay with” the use of the Seminole name, logos, imagery and likeness, says Brooks, “it would stop immediately.”

(emphasis mine)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BeOSPOS posted:

bound turkey-wurm

Don't steal my magic card ideas

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Rule #1 for the new CJS Thread: No mentioning dogs. This is a bannable offense

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

prefect posted:

things i don't do very often: be impressed at the behavior of a college athletics program
same but of florida

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

prefect posted:

In Tallahassee, Florida, one institution, aided by a regional tribe, has worked hard to show that not all representation of Native imagery and symbols are created equal and at least one tribe is being given the opportunity to decide exactly what works for it.

“For almost 70 years, Florida State has worked closely, side by side, with the Seminole Tribe of Florida in a relationship that is mutually supportive and built on respect,” says Browning Brooks, the assistant vice president for university communications at Florida State University.

The university, whose athletic teams are known as the Seminoles, embraces its relationship with the Seminole Tribe of Florida and considers members of the tribe community partners. The tribe’s involvement is critical to the success of the university, say officials, not just a group of people whose name might conjure up inspiring imagery for student athletes on a war path.

“This may be splitting hairs,” Brooks says, “but we do not have a mascot.”

The student who portrays the great Seminole warrior Osceola and rides the Appaloosa horse Renegade during football games must maintain good grades and demonstrate personal character. Portraying Osceola on game days is a great honor and one that is supported by members of the tribe, the women of which sew the garments worn by the Osceola actor, according to the university.

At Florida State, Brooks says, the university maintains an ongoing relationship with the tribe that goes beyond just “a man in feathers on a horse” riding out on game days. Instead, the university has “the honor” of being affiliated with the tribe, which administrators work hard to integrate into the entire university experience.

Tribal liaisons are heavily consulted on many university initiatives; they are also included in the shaping of many traditions and are invited to celebrate in many of the most prestigious ceremonies on campus. In exchange, the university helps to preserve and teach the culture of the only Native American tribe never “conquered” by the U.S. government, as they never signed a peace treaty. Tribal members also crown the homecoming chief and princess with authentic Seminole regalia.

“The university welcomes these opportunities to expose our students, faculty, staff and alumni to the Seminoles’ history and traditions and reflects what we value as an institution: multiculturalism and diversity,” says Brooks.

The relationship, she says, has been endorsed on both sides.

“In 2005, the Seminole Tribal Council took a historic step and passed a resolution affirming its enthusiastic support for the university’s use of the Seminole name, logos and images,” Brooks continues.

The resolution “recognized Florida State’s continued collaboration with the tribe to include prominent participation by tribal members in many of the university’s most meaningful events and to seek advice and direction to make sure the tribal imagery we use and the history we teach our students are accurate and authentic,” Brooks says.

Not lost on the Florida State community was the fact that the resolution passing was unusual for a culture that “rarely puts such things into writing,” according to the university. Due to the uncommon nature of the resolution cementing the institution-tribe relationship, members of the university community say they feel the gravity of responsibility accompanying the representation.

“If at any time [the tribe’s members] were to decide they are not okay with” the use of the Seminole name, logos, imagery and likeness, says Brooks, “it would stop immediately.”

(emphasis mine)

The biggest difference for me was the fact that the name they use is the name the Seminole people call themselves. If Dan Snyder can get sign off from the local Redskin tribal council then I'd have no problems with their name too.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

nice, how many hats u wearin'

just the one :ohdear:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

It's scarf weather and I'm happy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

The biggest difference for me was the fact that the name they use is the name the Seminole people call themselves. If Dan Snyder can get sign off from the local Redskin tribal council then I'd have no problems with their name too.

rofl

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Saint Fred

yes, it's me posting another story from the atlantic, but it's about mister rogers, so i don't think people will be disappointed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Fred Rogers was from Pittsburgh.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

just the one :ohdear:

hmm

might be ok, post teh hat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

not even a Reddit Fandom can ruin Fred Rogers. he was extremely good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cls: some nose/upper-mustache hair is tickling my nostril, and it's driving me nuts

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

As a Millennial I posted:

what about kitties

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

what about kitties

there is already a thread for cats

post cats in the cat thread

beep

boop

:mitt:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah keep cats in the cat thread and dogs in the dog thread

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Post all animals in the cjs thread

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:justpost:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

keyboard vomit posted:

Post all animals in the cjs thread

n

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i think it would be OK to make an exception for tater and his poop-eating adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

St Evan Echoes posted:

same but of florida

• Locked thread