Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just re-watched the season 1, this show really blows all other sci-fi out of the water. (well maybe not Westworld that's not really a space opera)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
there was also a scene where miller was chatting about the implants found within someone's corpse, its mostly variations on mass market stuff, so presumably a trained agent would have all these capabilities as well

the ceres scenes went hard on the cyberpunk and i loved it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Just re-watched the season 1, this show really blows all other sci-fi out of the water. (well maybe not Westworld that's not really a space opera)

Westworld shouldn't be compared, since the Expanse is actually good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

gfarrell80 posted:

Only disappointment in season 1 was that I pulling for one or two of the martian marines to survive getting off the Donnager and join the little gang, but hey, I like it so far.

you'll like season 2 for sure then.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
on the note of cool cyberpunk futures, i really liked the difference in tone between ceres and eros stations

ceres was bustling and hyperneon and had rad thumping music in the background, while eros was just gloomy as hell. 2/10 would not be transformed into a flesh blob

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

etalian posted:

Westworld shouldn't be compared, since the Expanse is actually good.

Someday I'll come to grasp with TVIV's strange obsession with just not accepting that there's a shitload of good dramas on TV these days and that it's cool to like different stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The important thing about the spy guy's implants is he definitely didn't ask for them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, rip.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gfarrell80 posted:

Cool stuff, thanks guys.

Only disappointment in season 1 was that I pulling for one or two of the martian marines to survive getting off the Donnager and join the little gang, but hey, I like it so far.

Looking forward to more sweet space Sci-fi poo poo!

One Martian did survive. Alex Kamal.
Don't worry. Bobby is coming

gohmak fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 29, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
pouring out a mushroom beer and some nootropics for my man lopez

man i really liked how they sold the interrogation. the dude just took a pill, and he could see a matrix of every little tic and spasm in the captive's face. that made him infinitely scarier than if he was just a torturer, and all the more tragic that he sold his life for the cant crew

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

The important thing about the spy guy's implants is he definitely didn't ask for them.

It was sort of funny how Alex Jensen crossed over to the Expanse.

Also the episode really sold to me how they had casted the right guy to play Amos.

Looks the 2nd season will start with a double header

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 29, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
theres like a 100% chance that the writers tailored kenzo specifically for elias

and the funniest thing is that elias looks like a total schlub unlike adam jensen, doesnt have the muscle augs or the arm blades, just spamming the social aug until it rolls right

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

etalian posted:

It was sort of funny how Alex Jensen crossed over to the Expanse.

Also the episode really sold to me how they had casted the right guy to play Amos.

Looks the 2nd season will start with a double header

"Doors and Corners," gently caress yeah.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

theres like a 100% chance that the writers tailored kenzo specifically for elias

and the funniest thing is that elias looks like a total schlub unlike adam jensen, doesnt have the muscle augs or the arm blades, just spamming the social aug until it rolls right

His secret power was begging for his life

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, the blurays just look SOO much better than the broadcast. It's going to be rough to go from this rewatch back to cable quality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, there seemed to be something off with the broadcast. Some sort of weird sharpening filter or whatever. Looks way better on Netflix, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, there seemed to be something off with the broadcast. Some sort of weird sharpening filter or whatever. Looks way better on Netflix, too.

Netflix is streaming in 1080p, but compressed, Blue Ray is non-compressed 1080p. OTA and cable is going to be 720p. On top of that cable usually compresses the video even more than OTA does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cable is 1080i (for Syfy anyways), but usually MPEG 2 at likely sub 10mbps bitrate.

The blurays are 1080p mpeg4 that are usually minimum 10mbps peaking well beyond 20mpbs.

Plus, an awesome DTSHD Master Audio track.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MiddleOne posted:

Continuum :colbert: (though that is time travel, not space opera)

Phobophilia posted:

pouring out a mushroom beer and some nootropics for my man lopez

man i really liked how they sold the interrogation. the dude just took a pill, and he could see a matrix of every little tic and spasm in the captive's face. that made him infinitely scarier than if he was just a torturer, and all the more tragic that he sold his life for the cant crew

If they got that kind of interrogation pills, future recreational drugs must be loving insane.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

DarkCrawler posted:

If they got that kind of interrogation pills, future recreational drugs must be loving insane.

Also generally legal and, on Earth, available as part of Basic Assistance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

you'll like season 2 for sure then.

saweeeet!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Going to go watch the first two eps of S2 at the Alamo tonight. Pretty jazzed.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Going to go watch the first two eps of S2 at the Alamo tonight. Pretty jazzed.

Thanks for the heads up! Just checked and the Alamo here is hosting it too.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Grump, the SF one isn't :(

Though this makes me realize I still don't know exactly how to watch S2 as a (US) cable-cutter, I can't remember how I did S1. Was either SyFy's website or iTunes. (Just re-watched S1 via Amazon but I know they're getting S2 at least somewhat delayed...?)

(Might help folks new to the series if the OP could get updated with S2 info, btw :D show probably still needs all the help it can get re: viewership...)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this going to be on netflix in canada?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

bitprophet posted:

Grump, the SF one isn't :(

Though this makes me realize I still don't know exactly how to watch S2 as a (US) cable-cutter, I can't remember how I did S1. Was either SyFy's website or iTunes. (Just re-watched S1 via Amazon but I know they're getting S2 at least somewhat delayed...?)

(Might help folks new to the series if the OP could get updated with S2 info, btw :D show probably still needs all the help it can get re: viewership...)

For season 1, I bought the season pass on Amazon and the episodes would come out the same night that they aired on SyFy.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Neat, maybe "delayed" just means "by a few hours"? Guess I'll find out.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Is this going to be on netflix in canada?

Nope. :(

Amazon Prime, I think.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

404notfound posted:

For season 1, I bought the season pass on Amazon and the episodes would come out the same night that they aired on SyFy.

At midnight?

Because technically, the episodes on iTunes and Amazon season passes are next-day availability (which is midnight in some time-zone or other).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t have good experience getting Amazon Instant videos the night of airing.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

flosofl posted:

At midnight?

Because technically, the episodes on iTunes and Amazon season passes are next-day availability (which is midnight in some time-zone or other).

Platystemon posted:

I don’t have good experience getting Amazon Instant videos the night of airing.

I can't remember if I tried to watch any episodes right as they went up, but I went back through my email to see when I got the notification mail for each episode. I bought the season pass after episode 4 had aired, so for 5-10 these are when I got each one, in US pacific time:

12:20
12:05
12:15
12:20
1:32 (9 and 10 came out together)

They were after midnight, so yeah, I guess they were technically next-day.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Holy poo poo you guys. Probably my favorite two episodes of TV I have seen in forever.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I saw someone mention a 10-minute clip being posted on Facebook, but I can't seem to find anything. Anyone else know what they're talking about?

Also, does anyone else want to make a season 2 thread? I never expected the show to get this popular, so if someone else wants to make An Actually Good OP, then I'd be more than happy to pass it off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I compared my Vudu UV copy to my blu-ray and while it's a shitton better than Syfy, still doesn't hold a candle to the blu-rays. So, I guess I'll be suffering through the broadcast and buying the blurays afterwards.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KatWithHands posted:

I saw someone mention a 10-minute clip being posted on Facebook, but I can't seem to find anything. Anyone else know what they're talking about?

Also, does anyone else want to make a season 2 thread? I never expected the show to get this popular, so if someone else wants to make An Actually Good OP, then I'd be more than happy to pass it off.

Yeah, I can do this I think.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

So, I compared my Vudu UV copy to my blu-ray and while it's a shitton better than Syfy, still doesn't hold a candle to the blu-rays. So, I guess I'll be suffering through the broadcast and buying the blurays afterwards.

Netflix is 1080p @ 4-5mbit h.264 - 5.1 which will be imperceptibly different to bluray unless you're comparing freeze frames of high motion.
If you can get Netflix from any non-US country that'll look fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Khablam posted:

Netflix is 1080p @ 4-5mbit h.264 - 5.1 which will be imperceptibly different to bluray unless you're comparing freeze frames of high motion.
If you can get Netflix from any non-US country that'll look fine.

The Vudu copies were pushing 8mb-10mb, double that of Netflix.

It depends on display. It was hard to spot the difference on my 1080p 55" LCD. The difference is night and day on my 65" 4k OLED.

Netflix 1080p is good, far better than anything you get on cable, but it can't compete with blu-ray which has double the bitrate when your have a good enough display.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man the special effects in this thing blew me away. I never thought I'd say that about a SyFy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Am I seeing this correctly that Season 2 is only 5 episodes?

• Locked thread