Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I kinda wish the guy playing Amos were bigger and balder, but the person who most fits the mental image my wife and I built of him isn't nearly qualified enough to handle the task.

It's the Big Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Canterbury was in no way equipped to deal with that situation. It's actually pretty realistic that in space you'd be fighting over distances so far that it would take minutes for targets to hit. Space is really big and even in a "dense" environment there's a lot of empty space between objects.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Probably "Point Defense".

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I was really worried that scene wouldn't be as good as the books, I think, more than anything else in the first book. They didn't disappoint.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
In the books he was described as a big, burly, and bald guy with a disarming grin but cold eyes. I kept picturing him as a younger version of the wrestler Big Show. That being said, the TV cast are starting to grow on me, so as long as they don't completely screw up Bobbie by making her another small blond white woman I'll probably be happy. Not too many 6'6" polynesian actresses out there that I've heard of.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

I'd get behind this, even though I don't think she's Polynesian.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

General Battuta posted:

Cibola Burn is such a goddamn weird book. (book spoilers)

Let's set a novel on a genuinely alien planet honeycombed with magnificently ancient ruins — a planet that may hold a trace of the even more enigmatic and terrifying power that killed the planet's builder. Let's establish a creepy, cool ecosystem, set up a team of scientists, and give our characters special insight into the surviving alien systems.

Then let's spend the whole book throwing slugs, shoveling mud, and squabbling.

It's basically the most realistic story of space colonization ever written. Humans: we're gonna gently caress it up before we get it right.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It turns out shooting bullets through things is way cheaper, though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I mean, if you can build cheap enough lasers, good for you, but it's difficult to build ships with enough armor to withstand relativistic-velocity metal slugs and also maneuver at a decent rate. Inertia's a bitch, it turns out.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Miracles really do happen, you guys. :shobon:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Milky Moor posted:

I read the third book first and thought it was good enough to get me into the rest of the series. :shrug:

I liked the third and fourth books a lot, but mostly because I like weird Clarkeian alien poo poo. I think the protomolecule aliens are fascinating and weird, and I love the unique challenges of trying to establish a foothold on a planet that didn't evolve to factor in humans. Plus, Bull and Anna own.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I guess. Bull and Anna still own.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Where's Cleopatra 2525 stack up, or for that matter Homeboys From Outer Space?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Having just rewatched the first season, one thing I noticed is that the stand-in for middle fingers has become that circle-with-your-thumb-and-index-finger thing that kids used to use in the locker room to get an excuse to slug each other in the arm. It's brilliant.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, with the other three fingers outstretched, actually. Like this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That could be the case, actually, with the Belters' tendency to use physical gestures to supplement their language and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Xealot posted:

Physics question: wouldn't Earthers be goddamn formidable in any kind of physical fight?

Earthers have significant bone density and muscle mass because we develop in the gravity well of a big goddamn planet, right? Even Mars is only something like 0.4g, to say nothing of the fractional gravity of the Moon or asteroid stations in the Belt or whatever. "Bones like chalk" and all that.

If a Belter got into a fistfight with a native Earther, you'd think the Earther would be an absolute beast. Gravity on Ceres would be less than 1/10th that of Earth, so someone newly arrived from Earth should have a musculature acclimated to everyday poo poo being 10x "heavier," right? If you regularly lifted 50kg free weights at the Earth gym, wouldn't it be the work equivalent of lifting 500kg weights on Ceres?

What I'm getting at is that unless Belters are hitting the gym like crazy themselves or have some kind of simulated gravity training or something, they probably shouldn't pick bar fights with Earthers. It'd be like a regular dude loving with Hafthor Julius Bjornnson, who could likely punch you into a mist.

I think in the books they mention the that Mars could never win a ground war against Earth, but also that's never stopped anyone who's been drunk ever from picking a fight ever in the history of fighting and drinking.

• Locked thread