Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just discovered this show, it's pretty good. Me and my wife instantly became addicted and watched all 10 in a few days. How much does it differ from the books?
It's nice to see some pretty realistic scify. My only gripe is how poor space is. There shouldn't really be resource shortages of any sort. Mars should be a useless money-pit of poor barely surviving idiots and space just swimming in nearly limitless asteroid mining wealth while everyone lives in huge comfortable O'Neil cylinders with healthy gravity. Also there's no stealth in space blah blah.

Also miller's hat is really bad and I'm glad he got rid of it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's pretty drat good for low budget TV.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also tons of low gravity related shots that are actually expensive and tricky to do. Just more or less keeping up the consistent inconsistency of the gravity is pretty impressive

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tortolia posted:

Some of the changes in the show have been because they are treating it as a telling of the story as a whole, not "OK this season is book 1". There is world building and character beats thrown in that don't get hit on until later books.

The book authors are super involved with the show and the changes being made, it works well.

Yeah haven't they basically said they even like the show version of things better and are basically having a chance to do-over bits of their own story they wished they had done better?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I think the only problem is that space zombies are kinda a 2011 'thing.' As in, they were all the rage 5 years ago. So I'm glad they skipped all of that and went straight to the chaining part.

Yeah, I agree. I'm glad they skipped that stage and went right to the final product.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sorry DS9 is actually a really good show and by far the best trek. The expanse is the first scify that's been on TV in decades that's even close to being good. Everything else, B5, BSG, what ever, it's all really bad. Hell it's hard to even watch TNG after a DS9 binge because all the characters feel so static and lifeless and everything is beige from the sets to the writing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, realistically not only would ever single ship in the system be real time tracked by several countries/agencies at all times, but nearly every asteroid or space rock or bit of debris from a mining accident would all be tagged and tracked automatically. A lot of those wouldn't need constant real time monitoring, but their projected orbit would be recorded and depending on where the object is heading it would get different levels of monitoring.

If you went onto an abandoned space station and found a big cargo container you wanted to steal and pushed it by hand out an airlock, someone would know about it. Someone would know about it because you logged your flight plan with some authority. If you didn't, various agencies would pick up your flight and there would be 100 long range telescopes watching your every move. They'd see you board the station, they'd see you open the airlock, they'd see you push the container out and track it. If you picked it up they'd pick you up on some sort of illegal looting charge. If someone else came by later to pick it up, they'd get them too.

The only place anything secret or criminal could go down is inside the space stations. Ships dock, people get out, who knows what happens inside. But in space everyone knows what everyone and every rock is doing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agronox posted:

For a derail this is still very interesting.

I want to be a space lawyer!

I'm running a loving pen and paper scify game with some nerds and a lot of the plot is around this as they own a salvage and repair ship. Contract law and salvage law comes up a lot.
Also running a hard scify rpg is hard as hell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool I can "legally" watch season 2 on netflix then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife watched through all of it a few weeks ago on netflix, it's certainly been recently added in some countries I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Earth has what like 20 billion in the expanse, something ridiculous. Gotta put those cities somewhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We could totally build a civilization in big orbiting O'Neil cylinders, the theory is all sound and we even have the tech to do most of it right now. I'm sure there's be unexpected engineering and biological hurdles though. Biospheres get easier the bigger they are, but even a huge 10x2km tube or what ever is a spec compared to the earth. And even if we had thousands of pairs of tubes in orbit that were stable and self-sufficient, the earth will always be a treasure for its biodiversity. Everything in space will be a very simple "life web" or what ever entirely devoted to supporting humans and nothing else. Does it make air? Can we eat it? If not, we're probably not going to go to much trouble getting it rooted up in space with us. And yeah, terraforming mars is a pipe dream even with like 500 years from now super tech. It's going to be space tubes all the way down.

What I think the interesting question is how space resources will be distributed. Will they be used to make earth a paradise and clean up the environment as most all heavy industry and resource gathering is done in space, or will space go all FYGM and build their own paradise while earth becomes obsolete for anything other than biology and tourism. Or will space be oppressed and used to prop up an ever-expanding earth, addicted to them space resources? I think it would really depend on the political and economic situation in the future.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Region blocking is the dumbest poo poo, specially for minor promotional things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If left to their own devices space colonies should be pretty much post-scarcity levels of resources. But in the expanse space is kept poor and oppressed with all their resources taken away to support impossibly massive super-projects. A single space colony with a million people or so could be a star-trek utopia of plenty, and after the initial build-out not really need a ton of resource inputs. Water can be mostly recycled, as can most products. But if that colony was never designed to be anything more than a mining camp, if the level of initial infrastructure needed to be self-sufficient and comfortable was never built, and if they were purposefully kept impoverished and oppressed by outside forces, yeah I could see colonies like in the expanse being possible things. I could also see that level of oppression and poverty when you're sitting on top of an comprehensively rich supply of every resource you can imagine would drive people to become terrorists. And probably at this point earth and mars know they could make the belt quite a nice place if they just took 99.2% of their resources rather than 99.5% of them, but they are probably worried that a richer belt would quickly emerge into a rival super power hostile to their 2 former oppressors.

Really the lesson is the same as throughout human history: terribly exploiting people is actually an awful long term solution and makes a worse world for everyone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How much do you have to smoke to get a voice that good?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really appreciate that The Expanse is true space science fiction, potentially the first on TV (that I can think of). Previously it's all been straight up trek style fantasy that doesn't even attempt any sort of consistency let alone "realism". I love that there's no warp travel, that you can jam all this drama, a whole universe just within a narrow slice of our solar system. Obviously it will expand from there but even so it's just the bare minimum amount of fantasy needed to move the plot, and they're consistent with it. I'm fine with fantasy elements since all but the hardest of hard scify need some, just implement them in a consistent and thought out way so you don't get stuck with poo poo like almost all tech in trek which will have a million extremely useful applications that are totally ignored, and the tech works differently depending on who's writing the episode.

Hell they don't even have magic artificial gravity. Yeah sometimes it gets handwaved away a little here and there because gently caress trying to film everything with zero-g effects, but it's always present in some fashion. I never feel insulted watching the show, they keep things consistent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Collateral posted:

I have wondered how many Culture O's we could fit in the goldilocks zone. I think the answer is several hundred billion. Similar to the number of potentially habitable star system in the galaxy.

The solar system is big. Like really big.

A couple years ago I got huge into space colonies and did a ton of reading on them. I remember an article that "did the math" on the resources available in the belt alone and it was enough for self sustaining colonies in the thousands of trillions or some incomprehensible number. It was like billions of O'Neil cylinders each with millions of people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It seems like 1g of acceleration is plenty to get you where you're going very fast. In fact holding 1g for the whole trip is quite impressive. I guess it makes sense for emergency combat maneuvers and poo poo, but your average civilian vessel probably doesn't need to ever accelerate to the point of needing "crash couches"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mars is like 1/3 gravity, I imagine even the proud disciplined warrior martians are gangly and weak. Also why are those idiots trying to terraform, mars gravity is too weak and no magnetic field, that poo poo's all going to get blown/burnt off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a lot of the info on how horrible mars is and totally unsuitable for anything beyond a science outpost is mildly new and maybe when the books were written people still had crazy ideas of "colonizing" mars. Then again colonizing incredibly hostile planets instead of just building space tubes is a pretty established scify trope and scientific blind spot in like 99% of scify.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZorajitZorajit posted:

From what I understand, if you established a Earth-like atmosphere on Mars, it would take a million years for it to be blown off. You're right that it would dissipate, and possibly screw over anyone living there. But the time the atmosphere lasts isn't the issue stopping terraforming.

Ah that's not so bad then, sounds like it wouldn't be totally impossible to maintain it long term then, so long as you have BELTER SLAVES feeding your terraforming facilities with whatever they need to replace the slowly diminishing atmosphere. Still, for all the energy mars has put into terraforming they could have built millions of O'Neill cylinders in orbit instead, all at 1g and lovely breathable atmospheres and what ever sort of environment they want.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just saw this linked in another thread, realistic space combat game, looks like KSP with guns and massive amounts of space-autism.
https://childrenofadeadearth.wordpress.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/

It's like project rho, the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, a thicker atmosphere would block plenty of radiation too. You're not wrong that the sun would be blowing it off but the atmosphere is really big, maintaining the pressure wouldn't be difficult for a civilization able to do the initial terraforming.

What about that toxic soil tho?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where is a cat shaved to have Naomi's hair???

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why don't the space people just spin their poo poo a bit faster?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I imagine spinning a whole asteroid with an ant-colony like structure inside is a lot harder than just getting your big O'Neil cylinder up to 1g. All the belter habitats seem pretty improvised or an after thought. "hey we're mining this asteroid out, let's spin it so parts of it have tolerable gravity I guess" rather than "let's build a perfect 1g habitat with the primary goal being a space city"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah if you're spinning something like a lumpy asteroid that you're mining you'll certainly need to worry about structural integrity. Which is why asteroid's are good for mining but poo poo for living in, you want a purpose built space-tube for livin'

Also in an asteroid you'd have very variable gravity depending on how deep you are. Something like

Maybe only the dark gray area is .3g, with less and less as you move towards the centre of mass. Also as you move vertically through a space like this the coriolis effect would be really weird and uncomfortable, so something like those subway train things you'd feel some really hosed up forces if moving from inner to outer areas, like you'd' be getting pushed up against the side of the train/elevator.
With spin-based gravity you want something like a ring or a tube so everyone is living at the same distance from the centre. Even on a huge multi-km wide ring you'd still feel it going up in an elevator, the faster the elevator the more noticeable. The bigger the diameter of the colony though, the more comfortable. An o'neill cylinder only needs to rotate at about 0.3 rpm to get a perfect 1g, so quite comfortable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always imagined the inside of a belter asteroid to be something like this "dumbbell" design but just inside an asteroid. Except they ran out of space at healthy g's so just started making habitation zones all over the place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I guess the question would be "why"
It's going to be ridiculously more expensive to build a floating venus city, which would need to be a totally sealed environment anyways not some starwars cloud city, when you could build a tube in orbit for cheaper and have way less poo poo to deal with? Also you don't want to build colonies anywhere near natural gravity because you've just made any exports or transport a billion times more expensive.

That's the problem with planets in scify. There's no reason to ever colonize a planet once we've left our own. Sure for science, or tourism, but for mass habitation its going to be space tubes. You settle a planet with low enough gravity that trade is still economical and you end up with gross sickly belter type people, you settle a planet with human-friendly gravity and you're now essentially cut off from trade. Also mining and most economic activities are just harder on a planet. All the poo poo you want to mine tends to not be near the surface of a planet, mining asteroids is so much easier. Planets other than earth are useless, everything you need is in space, easier to get at in space, and cheaper/easier to build habitats actually suited to humans in space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That seems like a super long way to go for a vacation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

flosofl posted:

Not with an Epstein drive.

What are the in-universe travel times any way? Obviously it can vary hugely based on the time of "year" but I take it earth to jupiter isn't like a year+ long trip ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I didn't know their drives were quite that star-trekky magic-tech. But I guess that's nothing compared to what are next!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah earth to moon is enough to make real-time talking annoying, anything past that and you're into email/video message territory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It really helps to play something like Kerbal Space Program to get a basic handle on how travel in space works, it's pretty much never straight lines no matter how good your engines are. If you're in space you're in orbit of something, usually many things, and orbits are all about arcs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol how is mars suffering under earth oppression, they have billions of people and are a military super power? They practically team up with earth to oppress the belt. The whole martian "ARE STRUGGLE!!!" identity is poo poo. Sorry you guys picked a dumbass place to live and were too stupid to build space tubes and instead are trying to terraform a toxic garbage ball with no easily accessible resources and the wrong gravity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why doesn't earth have a fairly strict 2-child policy? Or why didn't they have one like 10 billion people ago?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this going to be on netflix in canada?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When the paid legal options for viewing are exhausted or ridiculous and you need your spacemans you're down to one option really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry friend I watched the show on the netflix in canada.

• Locked thread