Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Who played the mob boss? I can't decide if I f he's really familiar or just just seems like it because he looks like Tony Head and James Urbaniak had a love child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CowboyKid posted:

He looks like Turtle from Entourage. Not intimidating at all.

All I see when I look at him is Tyrol from Galactica's kid brother.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe people should just read the books?

Im trying hard to resist just buying the box set of the first three books. I want, at least, the stuff in the first season to be a surprise for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Season 2 is scheduled to air in 2017. This'll be an excruciating wait.

I suddenly feel better about my decision to wait till after S1 to read the books. Finding time to read 6 books should cover a chunk of that time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not quite, Beltloader is just the name for the ethnic group. Beltaloada is just that with the heavy accent.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

They're terrorists according to the UN an MCR. But start morphing into a quasi government with a formal military, although there are rogue elements of the group that do not agree with the direction mainstream process the organization begins to take.

They're the IRA of a hundred years ago with Dawes serving as Eamon de Valera.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kesper North posted:

Okay, a little hyperbole. You're right in that it doesn't boil, per se - but gas bubbles do form in the bloodstream, leading rapidly to unconsciousness within fifteen seconds, as the bubbles cut off blood flow to the brain as they form. (Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/)

Incidentally, to get into a modern spacesuit requires the astronaut perform hours of decompression and recompression to avoid the bends, because they have use low air pressures to allow the suits to be flexible enough for work, a requirement that never shows up in science fiction because it would ruin virtually every plot that involves EVA. The Mark III prototype being tested by NASA supposedly doesn't require oxygen prebreathing, so hopefully this issue can be solved using current technology.

Yeah, though I give this show a pass since if they can have drugs that reduce the strain g forces have on the body they probably also have drugs that better filter nitrogen in the blood.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NowonSA posted:

My god, after seeing books in the Song of Ice and Fire series constantly be delayed and having to wait extra long for books from my other favorite fantasy authors, I just bow down and worship at that level of consistency. I can't imagine churning out 550 pages a year, even as a two-person team. I suppose that people like Stephen King and John Grisham just laugh at that as they pop out well over 1k a year on average though.

Funny you should mention King considering it took him like 30 years to put out the seven books in the Dark Tower. Largely for the same reason too, just getting sick of the series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

etalian posted:

I think they gave up on it for practical reasons, so Belters just end up looking like people from Portland.

I think they made a good excuse in show for it too. Most belters have some sort of physical mutation depending on the medical treatment they got when they were young. Some are the morfans syndrome looking dude and others', like Miller, have bone spurs in the base of their neck at the calcium injection site.

Doesn't the video of the Phoebe Station researcher talking about the protomolecule straight up call it alien in origin? Or at least they discovered it during an excavation?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phobophilia posted:

We've yet to really monetize space, which is necessary for its colonization. The sat network is valuable, but it is ultimately a means to augment the ground-based economy. In order to really colonize space, it needs to provide something unavailable earthside. Not the moon, it's too carbon poor to support a proper biosphere, and He3 concentrations are still too low to be economically viable. Heavy metals are a good option, most of the Earth's heavy elements have sunk to the planet's core, completely out of reach, while the remnants of the dwarf planet that was shattered into the asteroid belt have all their juicy golds and palladiums and platinums exposed, waiting for some enterprising soul to ship it to market. Orbital manufacturing plants may be another good option, you can vary the g's on an object as it is produced, which could be of value.

I have a suspicion that getting over the initial hump to colonize space is the real hurdle. Right now, it is not economically viable to get into space, and Earth remains the centre of the human world. But, once we have successfully colonized the solar system, the sheer amount of resources outside of gravity wells will make Earth an economic backwater. The tricky part is getting from A to B, there is not yet any economic incentive to take the first few steps.

It's not like they aren't trying. I knew a guy that worked as an engineer for NASA, the project he was on was funded by a consortium of companies that were looking for a system to mine asteroids and comets. Both him and His bosses knew that it wasn't technologically feasible but since they weren't footing the bill went along with it in the hopes they might make a few discoveries they didn't have the funding for otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Muffinlord posted:

I think in the books they mention the that Mars could never win a ground war against Earth, but also that's never stopped anyone who's been drunk ever from picking a fight ever in the history of fighting and drinking.

People born on Earth would also quickly lose the density advantage over the course of a year or so in space. Astronauts that spend any significant amount of time in space have to spend a decent amount of time after their mission on a strict nutrient and exercise regimen to get their Earth legs back.

• Locked thread