Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I love the belters being furless cats my god

The Belters as emaciated techno-poverty cyberpunks with 80's club hair is the best goddamn part of this show. Miller-Cat is perfect.

Somehow, this show reminds me of Exosquad. Which is a good thing. Exosquad was 1000x better than it needed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Physics question: wouldn't Earthers be goddamn formidable in any kind of physical fight?

Earthers have significant bone density and muscle mass because we develop in the gravity well of a big goddamn planet, right? Even Mars is only something like 0.4g, to say nothing of the fractional gravity of the Moon or asteroid stations in the Belt or whatever. "Bones like chalk" and all that.

If a Belter got into a fistfight with a native Earther, you'd think the Earther would be an absolute beast. Gravity on Ceres would be less than 1/10th that of Earth, so someone newly arrived from Earth should have a musculature acclimated to everyday poo poo being 10x "heavier," right? If you regularly lifted 50kg free weights at the Earth gym, wouldn't it be the work equivalent of lifting 500kg weights on Ceres?

What I'm getting at is that unless Belters are hitting the gym like crazy themselves or have some kind of simulated gravity training or something, they probably shouldn't pick bar fights with Earthers. It'd be like a regular dude loving with Hafthor Julius Bjornnson, who could likely punch you into a mist.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

On this point, do the Expanse books go into Venus at all? Floating Venus cities in the upper atmosphere are one of my favorite hypothetical off-Earth colony ideas. And the gravity there would be 0.9g or so.

You'd think luxury floating estates for wealthy Earthers would be a thing in this universe. Like Columbia from BioShock, but less white.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I guess the question would be "why"
It's going to be ridiculously more expensive to build a floating venus city, which would need to be a totally sealed environment anyways not some starwars cloud city, when you could build a tube in orbit for cheaper and have way less poo poo to deal with? Also you don't want to build colonies anywhere near natural gravity because you've just made any exports or transport a billion times more expensive.

In fairness, there are aspects to a planetary colony that are extremely difficult to reproduce in a vacuum. At a high enough altitude, the ambient pressure on Venus would be ~1 bar, so a hull breach in a colony wouldn't result in explosive decompression. The temperature would likewise be within human tolerance, so that might make the interior climate easier to maintain. It's also speculated that despite the lack of a magnetosphere, just being within an atmosphere like Venus' might help with radiation shielding (vs. being in naked space.) And it'd be possible to source breathable oxygen or other resources from CO2 that already exists in the atmosphere, which wouldn't be the case in space.

Your points all make sense, though. Abstractly, it's easier to add to things than it is to take away, and a hell planet of sulfuric acid clouds is a ridiculous challenge.

• Locked thread