Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

They're not gonna get through the first book with three episodes left though, so I'm really curious as to where they'll leave it off.

Probably at the obvious cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't kid yourself: if employers today had a way to bill workers for air consumed at work then they would absolutely do so.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't be allowed to talk about solar system navigation as portrayed in the show until you have played Kerbal Space Program for a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

Hey book readers, do Lagrange points ever factor into anything? Just a yes or no, that's my hard SF huckleberry.

I don't remember which book, but isn't there a mention at some point of Mao's private station at L5?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Also some of the pronunciation is awkward which makes things confusing that would probably work fine in the book version. Like I didn't realize they were on Ceres for a long long time, I thought it was a town called "Series".

P. sure this is the correct pronunciation of "Ceres".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hollylolly posted:

What was the space race thing Miller walked in on a few episodes ago when he was trying to track down the data broker? It wasn't explained other than ...well it was a race or something and apparently super dangerous. :lol:

It was something that appears in the 2nd or 3rd book. Not sure why they threw it in there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how the belter equivalent of "how's it hangin" is "how ya swingin".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are writing on a whiteboard then it is "Δv", if you are writing on the internet then it is "delta v" or "dv".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The recipe for a number four, burrito style is filed next to how to use the seashells.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When talking about this stuff, the dt is implied unless someone says otherwise.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Wow, that's a really cool chart. Like, drat.

What I don't get about that chart (and this is just my ignorance of space travel) wouldn't there be a possibly more efficient route between Earth and Jupiter than passing through the Earth-Mars transfer or the Earth-Ceres transfer? Everything is presented like they're required steps on the same course, but couldn't you plot a more direct course? I guess maybe I'm not sure what the transfer positions are, since you still have to burn to get from the Earth-Mars transfer to Mars, I guess its just a midpoint in space which then makes sense.

Doesn't take into account possible slingshot maneuvers at least, but just for direct fastest travel time. Right?

The chart doesn't have anything to do with the route taken, it only shows the minimum amount of energy required for the trip by summing the numbers along the path shown by the chart.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It shows up on all of my devices here in beautiful Oakland, California.

Actually it shows up twice: as a purchase from back when it aired and as a free option through prime.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shocking!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That cat totally nailed the Detective Miller expression.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Venus is featured in the books, but (book spoiler) as a colony for the protomolecule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The speed of light is a harsh mistress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or at least curves that are straight enough that the curvature is irrelevant to planning.

• Locked thread