Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

That explanation at least helps their nonchalance about Shed. Poor guy gets his head blown off in front of them and nobody even mentions it until drunk Holden's toast of "Haha, that guy sucked."

From memory the first book was actually a write up of an online forum role playing game run by one of the authors. Shed was one of the player characters and was killed when his player was no longer able to participate.

Also the comparisons with ASOIAF are interesting because one of the authors either is or was George RR Martin's assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

It was Ty Franck:

Full article here: http://www.wired.com/2014/07/geeks-guide-ty-franck/
(There's no straight up book spoilers there, but they talk about how they chose the title of each book and that might give away the plot)

Daniel Abraham writes the Dagger & The Coin fantasy series, which has also been consistently coming out every year. The first one was attached to my Kindle version of Leviathan Wakes.

So he knows what not to do then ;)

Also did anyone catch the name of the nephew that was spaced by his uncle? Book 5 spoilers There is no chance he could turn out to be Filip?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Wes Chatham also delivers his lines with this occasional sense of 'lost puppy'. Like the bit where he offers to smoke Holden, thanks Noemi for 'all those times you helped me' or in the bar with Alex. It really helps capture the fact that he's not big and mean, he's just kind of stunted emotionally.

From the books I read Amos as being completely without morals or any moral judgement, he recognises this and attaches himself to someone to use as a surrogate moral compass. Growing up it was a variety of criminals and an unusual relationship with his mothers friend,on the Canterbury it was Naomi and going forward it is Holden. He just sees violence as another tool and is just as willing and able to use it as someone else might draw breath.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Tortolia posted:

I have seen speculation (or maybe it was confirmed, dunno) that they would bring book 2 into the plot during S2. Seems pretty likely since I agree that the back half of book 1 stretched to 13 episodes wouldn't work very well.

Since they have already pulled in plot elements from book 5 and the short stories I think that that is a certainty. They have already introduced Chrisjen Avasarala earlier. I also suspect that they might compress the events at the end of book one down quite a bit for the show. I don't think they will be back at Tyco until after Eros has crashed into Venus. I also really hope the prologue from book 2 is used as an "after credits scene" for season 1.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

In the first ep Julie Mao didn't come into contact w/ the protomolecule, but she still got infected. Are the crew going to get infected?

The crew were all in environment suits in high vacuum, and then went through decontamination when the returned to the Rocinante. Julie Mao was on the same ship with an atmosphere as the protomolecule, breathing it in she also had no reason to be being cautions of a contamination when she cut through the door to engineering to try and restore power. She didn't realise she was exposed until it was too late.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
It would be pretty simple to design the visor with a spring so that unless it was locked open it would just snap shut when it was released, if you passed out it would snap shut and you would probably be ok.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

xsf421 posted:

I think it's free on prime outside the US, which is kind of lame.

It is definitely on Netflix UK And probably Netflix in the rest of the world. Amazon prime in the US.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Season 2 premiers on 1 February on Syfy in the States. Does anyone know when and where it will premier in the UK? I'm hopeful it will just end up on Netflix just after the US premier. Also Will it be being shown earlier on Syfy's website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Evernoob posted:

Any news yet if Netflix is going make this available this weekly (outside of the USA)?

We think yes, but i've been unable to find a concrete source. Going by Better Call Saul the answer is yes.

• Locked thread