Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I have a suspicion that getting over the initial hump to colonize space is the real hurdle. Right now, it is not economically viable to get into space, and Earth remains the centre of the human world. But, once we have successfully colonized the solar system, the sheer amount of resources outside of gravity wells will make Earth an economic backwater. The tricky part is getting from A to B, there is not yet any economic incentive to take the first few steps.

The "problem" is that there indeed are practically infinite resources - so what would prevent anyone from ignoring whatever mining towns are out there and just building their own somewhere else? Like if Texas declared independence it would have an impact on US oil/gas import/export balance and they might have some leverage. After all, you can't just find another Texas. If a space town declares independence you just build another one on another asteroid - and there's millions of them. Moreover we're already automating mining here on Earth like crazy so it's probably going to be pretty limited how many workers you'd actually need to do these things.

It's a sci fi TV show though - it's not purporting to be realistic and it doesn't have to be. It just needs to be fun and interesting and it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Also it's not a compelling story for a bunch of robots to do everything while the humans sit around with their thumbs up their asses, as future-realistic as that may be.

E: I could see us not going down the full automation track that we appear to be on, too. We might do that and decide actually, this isn't so great. Cheapens the human experience or whatever, and we roll it back. Think of what happened to food. We heavily automated and industrialized and standardized food in the 20th century, and now there's a huge backlash and return to handmade basics movement all around the world. Who knows? Maybe robots make war too easy and cause mass civilian death and they end up relegated to the same "don't use this" mental box as WMDs.

In the end we have no idea how things will develop so it's all just idle speculation. I don't think everything in The Expanse makes total sense but I really, really appreciate the show for making an effort to recognize different environments and the limitations and possibilities they afford. Living in space or on another planet should be different from living on Earth - sometimes it's hard and difficult and grimy and sometimes it's beautiful and cool. I mean watching some of the old Star Trek stuff, travelling through the stars is going to be slightly less comfortable than living in a 4 star hotel. It's a fun show and all but it handwaves so much that everything becomes so neat and polished. The Expanse feels lived in and challenging. It's fun.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What about that toxic soil tho?

Poop on it and grow potatoes until it's not toxic anymore.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

2017 is starting to grow on me.

• Locked thread