Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the good news for titans fans is there aren't many good players for chip to trade away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I was actually trying to think of players that other teams would want but I can't even. I would say DeMarco but I have a feeling his stock has fallen quite a bit

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/WFLAPaul/status/671134847356792832/video/1

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Mariota really must be something special in Chip's eyes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Brannock posted:

Mariota really must be something special in Chip's eyes.

I mean he's objectively been pretty good...

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Chip to Tennessee in exchange for Mariota to Philly would be the best thing ever.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Mariota's better than any QB Chip has had so far

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

shyduck posted:

I was actually trying to think of players that other teams would want but I can't even. I would say DeMarco but I have a feeling his stock has fallen quite a bit

i'm sure other teams still know he has value at doing exactly what he is good at, something charles kelly seemed to miss when doing his research after reading "What's a Franchise Tag? The Beginners' Guide to GMing"

i hope this is jameis talking trash about the oc after the only bucs success came when jameis was calling plays.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fsif posted:

975TheFanatic
@975TheFanatic
Rapoport: was told on Sunday to not rule out a trade of Chip to the Tennessee Titans. He also mentioned the deal involving a 1st rd pick

Oh god please yes

(No idea how this would work. Chip trades himself?)

No loving way

Didn't coach trades get banned?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's still allowed but it just never happens

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24451388/report-browns-almost-traded-for-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh

quote:

The last NFL trade involving a coach came in 2002 when the Raiders sent Jon Gruden to the Buccaneers for Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks. The Raiders also received two second-round picks and cash in the deal.

also lmao the browns were gonna trade for jim harbaugh

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DOOP posted:

No loving way

Didn't coach trades get banned?

as of last year, no

remember the possibility of a harbaugh trade to the browns?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It was talked about a lot with Harbaugh last year, too.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
If Chip was the GM (i.e. In charge of football operations) couldn't he just trade himself and the Eagles 1st for the Titans 7th in 2017? What sort of provision(s) are in place to prevent this?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
So the Titans call Philly, request to discuss a trade and get patched through to Chip...?

"Oh hey, uhhh, is your boss there?"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Dattserberg posted:

If Chip was the GM (i.e. In charge of football operations) couldn't he just trade himself and the Eagles 1st for the Titans 7th in 2017? What sort of provision(s) are in place to prevent this?
I'm pretty sure Lurie ultimately can take control and stop something like that from ever happening

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would be amazed if the NFL by-laws don't have something stating that a component of a trade doesn't have the authority to execute a trade (i.e., if the GM who would sign off on the trade is part of the trade, approval has to come from whoever he reports to, either the president of football operations or the owner)

Coach trades are rare, but they happen and so do coach-GMs so someone would have thought of it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm sure it would depend on what areas of the staff Roseman still owns. My understanding was mainly that Chip gained control of the roster and coaching staff while Roseman still oversaw other stuff like contracts and other team staff.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If you're the Titans, would you even want Chip, though?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

shyduck posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24451388/report-browns-almost-traded-for-49ers-coach-jim-harbaugh

I think Herm Edwards was the last coach traded

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

fsif posted:

If you're the Titans, would you even want Chip, though?

How do you think the Titans got where they are? Good decision-making?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Howie Roseman is in charge of the team's catering

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I've heard that for the last 5 games Andy Reid has moved a lot of the play calling away from OC Doug Peterson and given it to Brad Childress who is a "spread game analyst" whatever that means.

If that's true, yeah keep doing that because it's working. Alex is throwing bombs and the offense is clicking.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Nail Rat posted:

I would be amazed if the NFL by-laws don't have something stating that a component of a trade doesn't have the authority to execute a trade (i.e., if the GM who would sign off on the trade is part of the trade, approval has to come from whoever he reports to, either the president of football operations or the owner)

Coach trades are rare, but they happen and so do coach-GMs so someone would have thought of it.

Chip Kelly the GM trades Chip Kelly the coach to the Titans, retains self as Eagles GM.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm sure "the league" could just veto the trade.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Hockles posted:

I'm sure "the league" could just veto the trade.

Ala the NBA and the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

shyduck posted:

Look pal, the Browns have to find new ways to waste those first round picks eventually.

The killer picks of TRich/Weeden in 2012, Mingo in 2013, Gilbert/Manziel in 2014 and now Shelton/Erving in 2015 across three different GM/HC combos shows they might as well try something different besides using them on players.

On that note, about to leave my office here and can't wait to watch what might be the worst football game of the season tonight! The Ravens with all their good players on IR and the Browns with all their good players drafted by smarter teams every season!

Woooooooooooo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Chip to Tennessee in exchange for Mariota to Philly would be the best thing ever.

No, Chip turning Mariota and the Titans into the new Patriots as he has a decade of dominance, would be the best ever. Go Tennessee.... uhhhh?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I hope chip trades himself and then Tennessee trades mariota while he's on the plane over. Chip deserves exile to a Siberian gulag at this point.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Raku posted:

I hope chip trades himself and then Tennessee trades mariota while he's on the plane over. Chip deserves exile to a Siberian gulag at this point.

Living in Pennsylvania seems to be more of a punishment than Tennessee

Also lol Seahawks fans are saying with Graham out maybe now Bevell will not feel so much pressure to use him and can open up the offense. How poo poo are you at your job if you can't incorporate an all world pass catching tight end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Raku posted:

Chip looks out of the window of the plane, and sees Mariota looking out of the window of a plane going in the opposite direction, Looney Tunes style.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The planes hit each other

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh hey Brady joined the "I'd rather get hit in the head than the knees" bandwagon

quote:

“I hate to see it, but it really is the only way defenders can hit now,” Brady said. “I bet if you asked the players, they would really rather go high than low. I don’t think it’s dirty. I just think that is how football is played now.”

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
he's right though

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

he's right that if you asked players, they'd rather go high

cuz they're all already CTE mushbrained

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Chip made 10,000 moves predraft trying to get Mariota and the second he didn't, he checked out.

He loving loves that kid and if he doesnt get to the Titans after this season, he's going back to college till he can.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ehud posted:

@AdamSchefter: Panthers signed former Rams, Titans and Dolphins Cortland Finnegan.

:getin:

fsif posted:

975TheFanatic
@975TheFanatic
Rapoport: was told on Sunday to not rule out a trade of Chip to the Tennessee Titans. He also mentioned the deal involving a 1st rd pick

Oh god please yes

(No idea how this would work. Chip trades himself?)

I want chip but this team can't afford to trade away first round picks

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I bet Chip and Mariota love to make out or something. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

I think Herm Edwards was the last coach traded

It was Gruden and it was 100% worth it

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Joey Freshwater posted:

It was Gruden and it was 100% worth it

No, it was Edwards in 2006.

The Gruden trade definitely worked out better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

• Locked thread