Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Hello! Let's talk about some poo poo.

1) Added FactsAreUseless as a Games mod. Pretty good call on my part. Thank you.

2) Reports still the same as they have been for the past couple of years which is a good thing. The only thing I can currently bank on happening every day is Love Stole the Day reporting gangnam reference a couple of times for posts that are exactly the same as other posts in the DOTA thread. Why he continues to do this, when we clearly ignore his reports and have ignored his reports for the past year, I don't know.

3) Games saw some growth in users and guests over the past half year or so. Probably more to do with the Star Citizen drama than anything, but still a good thing.

4) It's been a couple of weeks since I've seen someone count how many new posts they see in a thread and then post in that thread to tell people how many new posts they saw. Kind of sad that it's taken 6 months to get to the point where this poo poo wasn't happening multiple times a day.

5) We survived our annual ritual where a huge new game comes out (Fallout 4) and lots of people either threadshit or get mad that someone isn't as hyped as they are or whatever other random poo poo happens every single year when a game of this magnitude comes out. Let's all pat ourselves on the back for not losing our minds.

Alright go ahead and post questions/concerns/comments or whatever and I'll try to get to them in a timely fashion. Hopefully you guys have more to say this go-around than last time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

program666 posted:

I'm new but I like Games. The only suggestion I could possibly have would be a official RSS feed or something similar for new threads, I use an non-official one but having a official way to check new threads would be great to have more non-mega threads, since it's pretty impractical to browse the front page when it's 99% megathreads for games you don't care about.

yea unfortunately there's really no feasible way currently to deal with the megathreads. my best suggestion would be to bookmark the threads that you care about and then view them and new posts here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/bookmarkthreads.php

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

precision posted:

I still honestly think it's kind of weird and unnecessary to have two Fallout 4 threads because at this point they're practically identical.

probably but eventually one will die off naturally and it wont be that big of a deal. this event pretty much happens every year when some new big game comes out.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

program666 posted:

oh I use the bookmark function, but looking for new threads is the part of this process I simply wouldn't even try (before using http://cygnustm.net/sarss/games.rss, there are rss for the other forums but I forgot how to access), so I figure many here also won't even bother, and lots of people here never thought about it, and all these people could be new good traffic for casual threads if there was a official way to just check new threads. Having a unofficial way to do it is cool but people have to go out of their way to use it.

i can mention it to lowtax and see what he has to say about it. i would say there are probably more pressing issues right now though but you never know.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

mabels big day posted:

Yeah... maybe on opposite day

:drat:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Is Luna Was Here still reporting a hundred things a day in the dota thread?

no

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Carados posted:

As someone who occasionally posts in the DotA thread, can we ban DotA threads again

no

edit: i should probably elaborate. people pay cold hard cash money to post about whatever silly dumbass game they enjoy playing on these forums. as long as they aren't breaking the rules that they agree to adhere to when they register for the forums then they should be able to post in whatever thread they like to post in and i don't feel it's our place to deny people that when 99% of the time the dota thread doesn't cause any problems.

Kewpuh fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 26, 2015

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

stux still has 13 days left on his month long probation

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

now that you have reminded me though i think i'll have it lifted to see if he'll stop with the dumb gimmick

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

stux made me laugh sometimes before he started with the dumb gimmick though

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Zurreco posted:

I posted this last year as well:

Whenever something going on is not discussion based and more interaction based, like watching a speedrunning charity event or watching EVO, is it worth having a subforum built for that? It seems like an easier way to draw attention to those events for people who are already there to peruse other games' events. And it shifts some of the redundant megathreads apart (ie the two huge DOTA2 threads: one for the game itself and one for watching pro matches).

Just a thought.

whenever these things come up, i typically stick them and that's been more than enough for visibility and interaction. i left that final fantasy fiesta thread stuck for like 2 months and from what i hear it was a pretty good success as far as forums activity goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

welp, thanks for the feedback. see you again in 6 or 7 months

• Locked thread