Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Still a tepid response so far. I finally got around to digging up the old e-mail list so that might get some more people but we'll see. If it doesn't pick up I'll just see if the people that have signed up so far want to go forward with it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfF KiLTeR
Apr 16, 2007

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Buglord
Thanks for putting this together, it's a thankless job and you are an awesome person.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel my job will be much easier this time around,

Also google refused to sent out the e-mails because it thought it was spam and I'm not sure how to get around that...

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dad gay. so what posted:

can we just email them the viruses?

Yea if we are swapping virus's why pay for shipping and optical media, this is tyool 2015 can't we just have an SA virus database you can DL them at your will and dont have to wait or something, we have the cloud now right?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I did some stuff that might have given me a virus but I sent out e-mails again.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

olaf2022 posted:

I got stiffed by all of my partners the last two times we did this :smith:

Sadness!!! I still listen to the ones you made for me like, 5 years back.

I am too focused on other poo poo to play again this year though, sorry :(

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Up for this again.

email : ashley (underscore) turner (at) hotmail.com
1 partner
Will ship outside the UK
Will review
no to mailing list

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, I don't typically sift through GBS looking for these threads anymore because it has been a while, but I got the email.

I'm down to participate as always, even if I end up getting someone i've traded with x years ago. Usual routine:

2 partners
Will ship internationally
Will review at least one disc from each partner
(myusername)@yahoo

How do we get the word out to get more people here to sign up? Maybe make a post in some other sub forums that either deal with music, or creative endeavors?

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I have about a dozen of these from over the years and still listen to several tracks today that became favorites. But at some point I felt reviewing them was stupid and people got mad. I have a few reasons why I think it's dumb but am curious - what is the purpose of reviewing?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess it's nice to hear at least a little something about how your mix was received, but honestly I never felt comfortable with the usual track-by-track format. It's cool if you're sure you have something to say about each track, but I'm alright with receiving a general impression + standouts and most likely that's what you'll get from me. :v:

And yeah I definitely got a bunch of good tracks from past mixes I received and even got turned on to some great bands I never knew about.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Good thing you sent that email or I never would have known that one of my favorite things on SA was back. Thanks for doing this, axleblaze.

USA
2 partners
International Yes
Will review
run.child.run AT gmail DOT com

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I am so up for this. I thought that it go lost when the rules on GBS got changed and all hell broke lose.

Here's my info
Email: weirdnjfan1@gmail.com
Partners: 2
International: No
Reviews: Sure
Mailing List: I'm on it.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Good lord I thought this was dead! Stoked to be inflicting my terrible taste in music on the forums again.

PinechildSA@gmail.com
USA
2 partners
International is fine!
I love reviews!
Already on the mailing list, thanks.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

artichoke posted:

I have about a dozen of these from over the years and still listen to several tracks today that became favorites. But at some point I felt reviewing them was stupid and people got mad. I have a few reasons why I think it's dumb but am curious - what is the purpose of reviewing?

For what it's worth I enjoy lurking these threads and picking up new music that way, listening to every 7+/10 track.

It's not feasible to send every mix to every person but I'd imagine reviews make it easier to get some music exposed to more than just your immediate swap partners.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

artichoke posted:

Probably more for the gratification of the person who made the mix than anything, to give them an idea what tracks hit and which missed. I always enjoy hearing someone has been blasting a piece of music that I made them aware of, or has discovered a certain sound they like and will look in to.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
incoherentmoron at gmail

Canada, 2 partners, yes, yes, already on list

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
E-mail: doubleagent08 at gmail
How many partners: 3
International: no
Review: I will write up something, but it probably won't be extremely in-depth
Mailing list: already on it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

How do we get the word out to get more people here to sign up? Maybe make a post in some other sub forums that either deal with music, or creative endeavors?

If you want to do something, I won't object but I've also done all I'm gonna do.

This turnout does make me question the future of this. I waited so long to do this again because I figured this just isn't the type of thing new GBS does all that much these days. The return of some old staples like SASS made me think there might be some interest but I think even that got a much lower response rate than it used to. I've thought about moving it to NMD but frankly even though that might more interest the regular user base there, the user base is so small these days that I can't imagine the response being all that much greater. Ah well, we'll see how this goes and we'll go from there. I'll certainly work harder this time around on my mixes because the chances that I'll get someone that has already hear most of my regular tracks is pretty high this time around.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like ~20 people is at least an okay turnout for a niche thing. If anything I'd blame people in general moving away from physical media for their music.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Axleblaze, it won't get the same level of traffic as GBS, but I wonder if the CD swap might work better in the Music forum these days. You'd at least avoid all this "hilarious" shitposting.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I have some fresh burnable audio CD-Rs I want to get rid of, so this'll do nicely. Expect some local stuff.

<my nick> at sci dot fi
Finland
Yes
Yes
Sure

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
I've always enjoyed doing these in the past, so I'll sign up again even though I don't think I've handled a CD this decade. I've had a mixed reception with some of these mixes over the years, equal parts crap and gold, but even when I receive a mix I don't like at all I always find it interesting to peer into someone's music and see where and how their tastes have been formed, even if they're totally different from my own. I'll just stick to the one partner this time though, it can spiral out of control fast if you several partners sending you multiple disks.

shangalang90 at hotmail.com
UK
1 partner
Willing to ship abroad
Review: maybe
Mailing list: no

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
One last bump before I close sign ups sometime tomorrow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Oh hey, this is alive. I figured you gave up on these after neoGBS started.

E-mail: juptoru at hotmail.com
How many partners you want: 3
International: No
Willing to review: Yes. I can't promise detailed reviews, but there'll be reviews of some sort.
Mailing list: Sure

Nition posted:

Axleblaze, it won't get the same level of traffic as GBS, but I wonder if the CD swap might work better in the Music forum these days. You'd at least avoid all this "hilarious" shitposting.
Seconding this. I think lower turnout is inevitable these days, but removing the shitposting would be nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i have two garbage bags full of indian pop CDs, i found them clearing out an old crawl space. anyone that wants them can have them

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
E-mail: BrendenK@gmail.com

What country your partner will need to ship the CD to: USA

How many partners you want: 3

Whether you are willing to ship outside of your own country: Yes

Whether you are willing to review your mixes: I will probably write my thoughts on the mixes I receive, yes.

If you want to be put on a mailing list as to when these things go down: Sure!

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
I would totally be down for this but I have one question that I didn't see answered in the OP: What's the deadline for shipping the CDs out?

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

Sadness!!! I still listen to the ones you made for me like, 5 years back.

:unsmith:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Illavick posted:

I would totally be down for this but I have one question that I didn't see answered in the OP: What's the deadline for shipping the CDs out?

I'd like to know this as well; if it's sometime in January then I'll probably get off my rear end and participate.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There's no hard deadline. Just communicate with your partner and try to get them out within a reasonable time. I mean it's the holiday season so if you're swamped right now I don't think your parter would care if you couldn't get stuff out immediately.

Anyways, I have work today but I'll make the matches when I get home this evening so anyone that wants to sign up has until then.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Alright, I'll give it a shot.

E-mail: username at gmail
How many partners: 3
International: no
Review: yes
Mailing list: yes please!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
SIGNUPS ARE OVER

Here is the list (the number next to the name is what page the post with their info is on

cthulusnewzulubbq (1) and Surfer Rosa Parks (2)
BrendianaJones (2) and Double Agent (2)
Shnakepup (1) and Jukeboxblues (1)
Shnakepup (1) and Pinechild (2)
Shnakepup (1) and OfF KiLTeR (1)
Y-Hat (1) and My Lovely Horse (1)
docbeard (1) and BabyRyoga (2)
docbeard (1) and THE DOG HOUSE (1)
docbeard (1) and Double Agent (2)
Nyagato (1)and Double Agent (2)
Nyagato (1) and THE DOG HOUSE (1)
Nyagato (1) and OfF KiLTeR (1)
Mowglis Haircut (2) and My Lovely Horse (1)
runchild (2) and Tendai (1)
runchild (2) and Pinechild (2)
Inco (2) and Tendai (1)
Inco (2) and Jukeboxblues (1)
Rexroom (2) and BabyRyoga (2)
Rexroom (2) and axleblaze (1)
Rexroom (2) and OfF KiLTeR (1)
BrendianaJones (2) and THE DOG HOUSE (1)
Haifisch (2) and BrendianaJones (2)
Haifisch (2) and FadingChord (2)
Haifisch (2) and Y-Hat (1)
axleblaze (1) and FadingChord (2)
cthulusnewzulubbq (1) and FadingChord (2)

If there are any problems let me know. I took one less than I said I would to make it all come out even, so if anyone is late, I'll take em. Also it's pretty likely you've been matched with some of these people before if you've been doing these for awhile because of how small the response was this time so just try and make something new and different!

Now get contacting your partners via e-mail or PM or whatever

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I think you forgot me....

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sorry about that. I'm not sure how that happened. Since I'm short one you can partner with me and if someone else wants another partner it comes in late you can take them.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Sorry about that. I'm not sure how that happened. Since I'm short one you can partner with me and if someone else wants another partner it comes in late you can take them.

Sounds good. One is fine to get back in the groove.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Partners emailed. IT BEGINS.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Aw, dangit, I missed the cutoff! The mailing list email went into my spam folder for some reason. I'd still love to get involved if anyone's willing to take on a new partner?

Just in case, my deets:

Email - gertrudeprkns [at] Gmail
Country - UK, and I can ship internationally
No. of partners - However many!
Reviews - yes!!
(I am already on the mailing list!)

OfF KiLTeR
Apr 16, 2007

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Buglord

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Aw, dangit, I missed the cutoff! The mailing list email went into my spam folder for some reason. I'd still love to get involved if anyone's willing to take on a new partner?

Just in case, my deets:

Email - gertrudeprkns [at] Gmail
Country - UK, and I can ship internationally
No. of partners - However many!
Reviews - yes!!
(I am already on the mailing list!)

Hey Gertrude, if you can tolerate another mix from me, I'll swap with you!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

OfF KiLTeR posted:

Hey Gertrude, if you can tolerate another mix from me, I'll swap with you!

Sounds good! Shoot me an email =D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

... what the heck, if I'm burning 4 CDs I can burn 6. Plus I still listen to a bunch of stuff from your last mixes. Up for it?

e: also, (initial) e-mails sent, and all that.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 16, 2015

• Locked thread