Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
incoherentmoron at gmail

Canada, 2 partners, yes, yes, already on list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tendai posted:

Hi I have not forgotten about this thread but right now real life is a shitlord, I will get my mixes out as soon as I can.

So where am I sending my mixes? I don't think I got a reply from you.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Run into a bit of a snag where my computer steadfastly refuses to burn audio discs ever since I reinstalled Windows. I've tried googling the error and none of the solutions have worked. Not sure when I'm going to be able to get these out, which sucks because they are otherwise done.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Finally got poo poo fixed up, and I just sent out the discs! Sorry for the delay, I wasn't expecting ImgBurn to take a massive shitfit about this.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I got my mixes from Tendai on Thursday. They actually had art on the sleeves!

(pictures will come once my phone decides to upload images)

I decided to take a listen to Things I Want To Say To You first:

1*) Chicane - Wake Up
A punchy, poppy opener. Very upbeat, and a great opener. 4/4

2) Jeff Buckley - Everybody Here Wants You
This song screams 90s. It's got a lot of a "Boyz II Men" influence. Nice, but feels kind of dated to me. 3/4

3) Bayside - Don't Call Me Peanut
The guitar work is okay, but the vocals have that annoying "emo band" sound. It's grating, and the lyrics don't really do anything for me either. 1/4

4) G. Love & Special Sauce - Don't Drop It!
Laid back hip-hop. It reminds me a bit of the Fun Lovin' Criminals. Nice groove to it. 3/4

5) Dilated Peoples - You Can't Hide, You Can't Run
Good lyrics, great flow, some good turntablism. Solid track. 3/4

6) The Alan Parsons Project - Don't Let It Show
I've been a fan of APP longer than any other band. Don't Let It Show isn't my favourite of their songs, but it's still a solid track. 3/4

7) Cage - Look At What You Did.
Pretty good. I like the aggressiveness and harshness of the backing track, and the flow is pretty good. The lyrics are super goofy in that black metal way, and I appreciate it like a good B-movie. 3/4

8*) Morphine - Do Not Go Quietly Into Your Grave
Very bluesy. The vocalist kind of caught me off-guard: I was expecting something more gravelly, but it grew on me quickly. The sax is fantastic. The whole thing comes together really nicely. 4/4

9*) Bouncing Souls - You're So Rad
This song is great. It's a super goofy upbeat song straight out of the 90s. It feels a lot like something The Presidents of the United States of America would put out, just a bit more overdriven. 4/4

10) Brett Dennen - Who Do You Think You Are?
It's background music. Inoffensive, but forgettable. There's not much here that sticks in my mind after listening. 2/4

11) Alborosie - You Make Me Feel Good
It's reggae. It feels a lot like the last track, and also doesn't leave an impression much past its running time. 2/4

12*) Biffy Clyro - I Hope You're Done
This one was a loving ride. The way it started up made me anticipate a much harder song once the rest of the band came in. When they did, it was more alt-rocky than I was expecting. Then, after allowing me to appreciate the guitar and drums, that's when the hard stuff I was initially anticipating came in and it caught me totally off-guard and I loving loved it. 4/4

13*) Ray Lamontagne - You Can Bring Me Flowers
Very much like the Morphine track, but a bit more traditional. The vocal style here was the one I was expecting from the Morphine track. I didn't like it quite as much as the Morphine track, but it's still really good. 4/4

14) Oren Lavie - Don't Let Your Hair Grow Too Long
This is exactly the type of music I picture when I hear the phrase "adult contemporary". It doesn't do anything for me. 2/4

15) Pilot Speed - I Won't Blame You
You know how sometimes you can just tell where a band is from? Yeah, I pegged these guys as Canadians right off the bat. Maybe I've heard them on the radio, who knows? It sounds like a lost song from Moxy Fruvous's Thornhill recordings. 3/4

16*) Satanic Surfers - gently caress Off, You Filthy Bastard
Great punk rock. Fantastic bass line. 4/4

17) The Mountain Goats - Has Thou Considered the Tetrapod?
This is a band I've heard a lot of about, but none of the stuff I've heard has ever really done anything for me. This isn't an exception. 2/4

18) Baby Bash - Don't Disrespect My Mind
Not feeling this one. The flow's alright, but it doesn't really have anything that stands out. 2/4

19) Rise Against - Rumours of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
This is a band I should be more into than I am. I've liked what I've heard, but it just kinda fell through the cracks. Good track. 3/4

20*) Awolnation - Jump On My Shoulders
This song is aggressively upbeat. I'd almost call it saccharine; it's even got "la la la" vocals over the bridge. It's fantastically catchy. I like it. 4/4

Langhorne Slime - I Love You, But Goodbye
Another song that doesn't leave much of an impression. 2/4

A pretty good mix. There's a lot of solid tracks on here, and a fair few artists to look up. Next up: We Don't Take Kindly To Your Type 'Round Here (in a few days)

Inco fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread