Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Up for this again.

email : ashley (underscore) turner (at) hotmail.com
1 partner
Will ship outside the UK
Will review
no to mailing list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Whoa I thought this thread had vanished, but I don't tend to delve too deep into nuGBS. My Lovely Horse, I'll get right on it.
E: also I never saw any email, can you resend?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

:siren: CDS ARE ON THE WAY :siren:

I definitely haven't forgotten about you, I'm just unemployed at the moment. And nothing motivates you to do stuff less than being unemployed (I'm freelance so technically I'm just between contracts, but semantics). Mix is pretty much constructed, should be away by the weekend.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Christ, I hope this is ironic...

Listening to it now, will post my thoughts today! Also promise mine is burning as we speak and it'll be on it's way to you shortly.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Wow that was a lot bigger than I expected...

Well let it ring in the new page then.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
My Lovely Horse: I have listened to your CDs and yours is in the post to you as we speak, so look out for that! And yes I did totally cheap out and send your own parcel back with my CDs in it. Will post my write-up...soon! Initial impressions: wow that is a lot of synths, I think I prefer the variety of the 2nd CD.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Finally got round to writing up my thoughts on My Lovely Horse's mix.
CD1 - Sounds of the Future
1. Protect & Survive - Sounds of the Future. - Bleep boop beep. Repetitive instrumental track to kick us off. Like I'm just sitting on the menu screen of a Megadrive game.

2. I Dream - Yon - Short electro/post-punk type tune. Like a slightly more synthy Joy Division. I don't really like Joy Division so this didn't do much for me.

3. The Cabinet - Das Kabinette - Same as above. A slightly monotonous electro tune with a singer doing the whole 'not quite singing' thing.

4. Ricky's Hand - Fad Gadget - Yeah sorry I feel like all my criticism of this song has been covered in the last two songs as well. A pattern is emerging and unfortunately I don't like it!

5. New Illusion - Seppuku - Yep, dissafected post-punk electro tune again.

6. Acid A Gogo - Cccandy - Pretty much an instrumental break? With a muffled voice mumbling stuff behind it? Everything so far feels very...bassless? With no depth or texture to it beyond surface level bleeps and bloops and repetitive drum-lines behind them. I feel like I'm being a bit harsh but as I'm sure you've gathered from my CD, our tastes are pretty different...

7. The Screen - Inertia - Didn't I just hear this song?

8. The Path of Least Resistance - Human League - My girlfriend saw the tracklist to this album and remarked that the only thing missing is some actual Kraftwerk to make the whole German techno fan bingo complete. This is ok but I think the singer is slightly more expressive which helps. Still never big on the Human League though.

9. Crash - Hospital People - This was pretty boring too.

10. Cash of Possibilites - New Dimension - This builds up to something a bit different at the end but overall the same as the rest.

11. Famous Boys - Paul Nova - Ditto.

12. Blue City - Almost None - Probably my favourite track so far, as it seemed to distinguish the chorus's from the verses and the singer got a bit more expressive.

13. Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell - The thing that appeals about Soft Cell over all the other tracks here is they sound like they're actually feeling an emotion. This song is gross and sleazy in a good way, and shows you can do the dissafected electro thing, but without totally boring the pants off of me.

14. Photographic - Depeche Mode - Never into Depeche Mode really.

15. Another Word - Talk Talk - aaand we're back to the usual.

16. Metro - Berlin - Oh look a female singer! Apart from that this track is barely different to the rest.

17. Jet Town - SSQ - This had a bit more to like about it, had a bit more depth and I enjoyed the way it built up as well.

18. Just Like Eddie - Silicon Teens - This is a very silly song in that it sounds like a band like The Kinks but filtered through cheesy electro beats. Liked it.

19. Club International - Basking Sharks - Ho-hum.

20. A Velvet Resurrection - The Legendary Pink Dots - And we end how we began, with a repetitive monotonous drone of electro beats and muffled unemotional voices.

Sorry My Lovely Horse for the harsh review, but this CD didn't hold my attention at all. Besides two or three outlying tracks that I enjoyed it was incredibly repetitive, doubly so as all the songs sounded the same all the way through and the same as each other! Double repetition. I enjoyed your second CD a lot more so will post a write-up in due time. Thanks for sending them though! You never do know with these things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Matt Berry - Take My Hand
I knew Matt Berry was a musician as well, I didn't know it was gonna be so early 70s. And I swear that intro is lifted straight from something very familiar indeed, but I can't put my finger on it. Not that I mind, this is pretty good.

Overall - excellent mix! I liked the intro punk songs most, but it was all very good (well, almost), from the punk stuff over the slower alternative ones all the way to the 60s revival tracks. And I got a fantastic album out of it as well. Thanks very much!

Glad you enjoyed it, if you're familiar with Matt Berry then you've maybe seen the show Toast of London, which has this song as it's theme, which is probably where you recognise it! I feel bad for disliking your CD so much now but thems the breaks with mix swaps. I will be putting up a write-up of your 2nd CD soon, which I did enjoy more than the 1st.

• Locked thread