Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Aw, dangit, I missed the cutoff! The mailing list email went into my spam folder for some reason. I'd still love to get involved if anyone's willing to take on a new partner?

Just in case, my deets:

Email - gertrudeprkns [at] Gmail
Country - UK, and I can ship internationally
No. of partners - However many!
Reviews - yes!!
(I am already on the mailing list!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

OfF KiLTeR posted:

Hey Gertrude, if you can tolerate another mix from me, I'll swap with you!

Sounds good! Shoot me an email =D

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

My Lovely Horse posted:

... what the heck, if I'm burning 4 CDs I can burn 6. Plus I still listen to a bunch of stuff from your last mixes. Up for it?

e: also, (initial) e-mails sent, and all that.

Aww, shucks, I can do that! =D Thank you! Send me an email and let's talk

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Update: putting the finishing touches to my mixes, and they ought to be in the post by Friday!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I got my CDs from My Lovely Horse! Will be ripping and listening/reviewing these over the weekend. Thank you!

Also I have sent my CDs out, as of Monday!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

So here's the first mix by My Lovely Horse!

(It came with stickers!)

Sounds Of The Future

I've been warned that "if you don't like synthesisers, you're not going to have a good time with this one". Here we go....!

1. Final Program - Protect & Survive
Synthesisers, synthesisers everywhere! This starts with sirens, then moves into a slightly sleepy electronic mosey. Very much feels like background music to an old DOS adventure game. 6/10

2. Yön - I Dream
Synth-infused post-punk. Moody but groovy at the same time, very lo-fi sound. I can imagine Trent Reznor covering this in his early years. 7/10

3. Das Kabinette - The Cabinet
Similar to the previous track, but even darker and more gothic. About the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari! I really dig this one for some reason. 9/10

4. Fad Gadget - Ricky's Hand
Oh dang, this is even more stark and off-putting, in a good way. Early industrial, with a really abrasive set of samples. Definitely listening to more of this. 9/10

5. Seppuku - New Illusion
This one's funkier, and the lyrics are angsty as all hell, to comical degrees. Still, it's kind of sweet, and the synth solo is pure 1985. 8/10

6. Cccandy - Acid A Gogo
Apparently this one's from 2010! It's a very faithful reproduction of dirty, claustrophobic early-80s electronic music, and doesn't outstay its welcome either. 7/10

7. Inertia - The Screen
Evil computer! Layered synths! Monotony of modern technology! Impassive English-accented vocals! If I had a bingo card for this mix I'd already have filled it out by this point. 7/10

8. The Human League - The Path Of Least Resistance
Shamefully I only know a couple of Human League songs, so I'm happy to be further educated on them. This is early Human League, and it's much more stripped-down than their better-known hits. "The truth is, comfort kills", says Philip Oakley, over the pulsing synths and sparse percussion. Not doing much for me, sadly. 6/10

9. Hospital People - Crash
I was hoping this is inspired by the JG Ballard novel, but I don't think it is. It's very moody, though the production's a little softer (maybe because this track is from 2001). Pretty simple concept, which means it feels much longer than it actually is. Nice atmosphere, though. 7/10

10. New Dimension - Cask Of Possibilities
This one's a little more upbeat, and I'm getting some Pet Shop Boys vibes from the synths. Pretty muddy sound, and the vocals are pretty indistinct, which is a shame since I like the guy's voice. And it has a proper anthemic(?) chorus! 8/10

11. Paul Nova - Famous Boys
My favourite track so far. It's sad, it's got kind of a swing beat to it, and very faint saxophone (probably synth sax) - the kind of thing I can see playing in the background of a low-budget neo-noir film. 9/10

12. Almost Alone - Blue City
This one's more of a song than a dirge, and the synths are gorgeous. "Take me back to Blue City / where I can be near you...It's obvious you love yourself / So love someone else". dang, this guy is mopey, but he's naive and hopeful at the same time. It's perfect. 9/10

13. Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf
I loving love Soft Cell and I loving love this song. 11/10

14. Depeche Mode - Photographic
I never got fully into Depeche Mode, despite liking a lot of their songs. This one's new to me, though I swear I've heard it somewhere before. It also gets some fun OMD-style synth-plinking in the background. Like this one a lot! 9/10

15. Talk Talk - Another World
drat, this is good. Gorgeous melancholy vocals, the perfect 1982 sound, with extravagant synths and a danceable beat. I need more Talk Talk in my life. 10/10

16. Berlin - The Metro
It's nice to have some female (and American) vocals after so many interchangeable "Sad English Man" stuff, and Terri Nunn's voice is lovely. Again, I only knew a few Berlin songs, and this one's new to me. Really fun though, with a lot of very silly-sounding synths in the middle. 8/10

17. SSQ - Jet Town
Ooooh, this is nice. Lovely layers of synth, guitar stings and that one "echo clap" percussion you hear on half the hits of the 80s. I can't keep the grin off my face. 9/10

18. Silicon Teens - Just Like Eddie
Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. The synths sound like they come from the Moog Cookbook. Was this on a children's album? I don't know if I love this or really loving hate it. 7/10

19. Basking Sharks - Club International
Every track on this mix has done something slightly different with their synths. Different sounds, different mood. This one has opted for the "Let's just mash our hands on the keyboard for the intense bits!" style. This is a good song otherwise, some great nuclear-scare lyrics and a nice mellow backing beat. 8/10

20. The Legendary Pink Dots - A Velvet Resurrection
We close with a heartfelt monologue over an atmospheric "towering city in the dead of night" kind of soundscape. It's also rather strange. Wonderful way to finish the album. 9/10

All in all, pretty great! The earlier lo-fi tracks sort of blended into each other, but the second half of this mix was really fun. Thanks a lot! I'll be getting to the second mix soon!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

My Lovely Horse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
Was a strong candidate for the mix as well, but it came down to this or Fad Gadget. Fun fact: it's the same guy who's behind Silicon Teens, and the founder of Mute Records.
Oh, don't worry, I adore Warm Leatherette!

quote:

Speaking of Silicon Teens, this might clear some things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIiQ8iNvKc
There's a whole album of this stuff, and it's amazing. I think it's even on Spotify.

Oh my good gracious.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Thanks for being so honest about my mixes so far, dude! Sounds like I picked a lot of stuff that's adjacent to stuff you already know and dig, so that's interesting. That Saul Williams track is off his new (like, three week old) album, and it's all excellent. He's great. I love him. Grace Petrie is very Billy Bragg - they've shared a lot of stages, and she cites him as one of her biggest influences! Doomtree and Melt Yourself Down are both awesome. I Am Kloot make some really gorgeous music, but when I saw them live the frontman was drunk off his arse and it was pretty naff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Sadly, I haven't heard anything at all from my other mix partner OfF KiLTeR.

But here's the other mix by My Lovely Horse:

The End! No Theme

1. Polysics - Baby Bias
I'm way into Polysics, and this song is one of their most fun. Jaunty, like a hyperkinetic Japanese DEVO. 9/10

2. The Pogues - Streams Of Whiskey
This is exactly what I was expecting from a Pogues song. Not super, but in no way bad. 6/10

3. Eläkeläiset - Sukellan Humppaan
Okay, I guess this is polka! Or rather, the Finnish equivalent, "humppa". The lead singer has the cadence of a Japanese lounge singer - the track feels a little lacking in energy. Also the bridge section is just weird sci-fi sound effects? Despite that, it's definitely grown on me. 8/10

4. The Doll - Desire Me
This is some traditional new wave from a band that sound very much like Blondie, though that might be heresy to hardcore fans. I like the song! It's got some nice guitar work and the symths aren't bad. 8/10

5. Martha And The Muffins - Echo Beach
First off: excellent band name. This is a similar sound to the previous track, though a little more 60s bubblegum pop here and there. Also there are some nice smooth saxophones. This is one of my favourites I think. 9/10

6. The Mekons - Where Were You
I think I've heard of these guys, but I forget where from. The drums are great, the guitars sound lovely. It's classic late-70s British punk! "Do you loik me?" the vocalist grumps. I kinda do. 8/10

7. The Stranglers - Dagenham Dave
Now these folks I've heard of. A great track to follow the last one - this is a little more musical and singalong, but still definitely grumpy, charismatic British punk. 9/10

8. Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave
The only Sabbath I actually own is Paranoid, but I've heard this one before. It sounds exactly like what you'd expect from "1971 Black Sabbath" - I'm sure at the time this was absolutely face-melting, but it leaves me a little cold. 7/10

9. Steel Pulse - Babylon Makes The Rules
As one might expect from the title, this is purestrain reggae. It's about resisting social oppression, it's got a great bounce to the beat, and the vocals play with the instrumentation gorgeously. A real highlight. 10/10

10. Tindersticks - Whiskey & Water
This is very moody, downbeat, with some noisy grungy instrumentation. Definitely Nick Cave inspirations going on here. Also the vocals are exactly the kind of thing that modern folks like Woodkid wish they could pull off. Really very fond of this one. 9/10

11. The Gun Club - Ghost On The Highway
Oh hey, rockabilly-punk! Punkabilly? It's pretty neato, whatever it is. Feels pretty short, even though it's a full three-minute song. 8/10

12. 16 Horsepower - Praying Arm Lane
Some nice melancholy country, that could be straight out of an introspective neo-Western movie. The bridge section could be taken straight from something on your new wave mix, though, moody and echoey. Another one that really grew on me. 9/10

13. Kumikameli - Muinaismuisto
More Finnish stuff! This one's late-90s rock, but the verses sound more of a grunge throwback. I wish I spoke any Finnish, because with this kind of song the lyrics tend to make or break for me. Taken just on sound, it's inoffensive, but nothing special. 5/10

14. Grinderman - No Pussy Blues
Grinderman are one of those bands I keep getting songs from in mix exchanges, but never actually get the albums of. I really should, since I love Nick Cave. And grouchy monologuing Nick Cave is my favourite kind. 9/10

15. Do Make Say Think - Horns Of A Rabbit
Atmospheric, moody post-rock, up-tempo and really drat cool. Gonna have to check these guys out properly. 9/10

16. Nomeansno - Our Town
I recently had Nomeansno recommended to me! Another band hella influenced by Nick Cave here, an eight-minute portrait of a dark urban wasteland. It's good, but I zoned out a fair bit - it doesn't change up too interestingly to justify the full eight minutes. 7/10

17. Louise Attaque - Si L'on Marchait Jusqu'à Demain
Very French indeed. It's groovy, with a nice bassline, and I like the guy's voice a fair bit. 8/10

18. The Vanity Set - Little Stabs Of Happiness
Very Britpop-sounding (but Greek-American according to Wikipedia) indie rock. Another Nick Cave-related band (the lead singer performs with the Bad Seeds), this is elevated from regular indie rock by some nice strings and a very silly Queen-style guitar solo. Also a tuba? Wild. 9/10

19.Nick Cave - Disco 2000
And we close with Nick Cave himself again - doing a cover of a really gorgeous Pulp song. And it's much slower and more melancholy than the original, which isn't surprising. The lack of energy means it doesn't grab me like Pulp's did, but this is lovely in its own way. A great way to finish the mix! 8/10

There's some really good stuff there, and only a couple I'd skip. Thanks again My Lovely Horse!!!

• Locked thread