Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Good thing you sent that email or I never would have known that one of my favorite things on SA was back. Thanks for doing this, axleblaze.

USA
2 partners
International Yes
Will review
run.child.run AT gmail DOT com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Inco posted:

So where am I sending my mixes? I don't think I got a reply from you.

I also need an address, Tendai.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Pinechild posted:

Speaking of, here's a review of runchild's ALGECIRAS!

It’s always interesting to see what will and what won’t connect with someone. I’m glad you liked most of it okay and some of it a lot. A few fun facts about various songs:

Propizio Chitarra - Amusingly enough, this is actually supposed to be restaurant muzak. The album is just called “Italian Restaurant Music” and I can’t find anything else about or by the artist.

Space rear end in a top hat - Chris Remo (there’s no “i”, my bad, I hosed up my track listing) is a host of the podcast Idle Thumbs and a composer for video games. This song was a result of a discussion about Red Faction Guerrilla, a game in which you can be a hilarious rear end in a top hat on Mars.

Uranium Fever - I got this from the radio station in Fallout 4. It’s got lots of 40s/50s/60s songs about uranium, nuclear power, nuclear weapons, the end of the world, etc. And there’s even more that they didn’t include. You can’t drop a couple atomic bombs without the fallout (hah) spreading through pop culture. Here’s a bunch of them, though I didn’t immediately find any that are quite as rag-time. https://www.youtube.com/user/CivilDefenseSpot

In Mexico - Another song by a podcast host/video game maker, this time of Video Games Hot Dog/The KoL Podcast and The Kingdom of Loathing. It’s just silly nonsense and I love it.

My reviews are almost ready but it will have to wait until I get home from work tonight.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Disk 1: Hunter by Pinechild

1. Golden Earring - Radar Love: Starts as a good but not terribly special rock song. Goes into an extended bridge that brings some fun jazz into the mix, which elevates the rating a little. 3.5/5

2. Wolfmother - Joker and the Thief: Good metal song. Thumbs up. 4/5

3. Bomb the Music Industry - Stand There 'Til You're Sober: Don’t like this song much. The singer’s voice/style is unpleasant. The reversed guitar at the beginning is unpleasant. The electronic kick drum being only in the right channel is VERY unpleasant. At least “go to work, eat a dick” got a laugh out of me. 1/5

4. Barenaked Ladies - Every Subway Car: Barenaked Ladies are one of the few things on this album I'm familiar with, but I haven't really listened to them since Everything to Everyone. This is definitely encouraging me to listen to the many albums I've missed since then. 5/5

5. Jonathan Coulton - I Feel Fantastic: Similar story with Jonathon Coulton, though I’m not quite as compelled to catch up with his work as I am with Barenaked Ladies. This is a still a really fun/funny song, and it got stuck in my head real bad one day. 4/5

6. Hüsker Dü - Hate Paper Doll: Meh. 2/5

7. Bloodnstuff - Bloodnstuff: I was very relieved when the vocals came in and weren't screaming. I used to listen to a lot of screamo, but I kind of got over it. Anyways, I liked this song a lot. Bloodnstuff goes on my list to seek more of. 5/5

8. Dillinger Four - Q. How Many Punks Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb?: I am not a fan of that nasally “punk voice.” It’s otherwise okay. 3/5

9. Semisonic - Never You Mind: I like the backing piano. This one grew on me through repeated listenings, and rose from okay to pretty great. It’s also cool to hear something from Semisonic other than Closing Time. 4/5

10. Scooter - How Much Is The Fish: Taking a sharp turn from what we've had so far, it’s time for some German EDM. I did not expect the vocals to continue after the intro, I thought it was just gonna be one of those voice samples techno artists like to start songs with. This is really fun to listen to. Also, I love the name. Why are we shouting about fish prices? I don't know, but I approve. 5/5

11. Niki & the Dove - DJ, Ease My Mind: I really love Scandinavian electronic acts with female vocalists. Pinechild may have gathered this from me bookending my mix with Susanne Sundfør. Anyways, big thumbs up for this song. 5/5

12. Tally Hall - Turn the Lights Off: A very fun song. I like the chiptunes-style parts, and the vocals are catchy. I like the transition back and forth between the quieter verses and the party of the chorus. Also got me to check out more Tally Hall and they’re great. 5/5

13. Low - Just Make It Stop: Another song that took a few listens to really grow on me. Quiet, a little slow, a little repetitive, but not at all boring. 4/5

14. Morcheeba - Enjoy the Ride: Pretty good. Similarly quiet and a little slow, still not boring. Didn’t quite catch me as much as the previous song, though. 3/5

15. Lily Allen - The Fear: Fun, funny. Listening to just the verses without the chorus makes Lily Allen sound like a terrible person. 4/5

16. Sex Piano - Dance Floor - "Sex Piano" is a great name for a band. I could tell from the recording quality that this was a local band, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good song. It feels like a band that would be great to see in a small venue with lots of band-crowd interaction. 3.5/5

17. Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child: It’s okay. Makes me think of Freezepop. 3/5

18. !!! - Myth Takes: This band is impossible to google. Another one that grew on me as I kept listening. 4/5

19. Bond - Bond on Bond: A pretty cool mashup of various Bond theme songs. Nice. 4/5

20. The Protomen - The Hounds: I got this on a mix in a previous exchange. That's cool though, it's a great song, and it’s interesting to think of how music moves from person to person as they participate in multiple mixes. Funny how The Protomen wrote a bunch of songs about Megaman and made them actually really awesome and not lame.5/5

Synopsis - I liked this mix well enough on first listen, but there were a lot of songs that took repeated listenings to grow on me. The mix as a whole rose from pretty good to really good the more I listened to it. It’s my favorite of the two mixes overall. That doesn't mean I don't have a lot of good things to say about Disk 2: Hunted. I'll get that review up tomorrow.

runchild
May 26, 2010

And by "tomorrow," I apparently meant "in a few days."

Disk 2: Hunted by Pinechild

1. Aaron Copeland - Fanfare for the Common Man: My girlfriend's wind symphony played this at a concert this past summer, and it was easily my favorite piece they played that evening. 4/5

2. Pentatonix - Run To You: This is some REALLY good a cappella. 5/5

3. Charlie Parr - Badger: I can see the story told in this song with perfect clarity. Though I think he meant it more as a picture of his father, it also brings to my mind an experience I had of confronting death when you’re still relatively young. Love the guitar. 5/5

4. Cat Stevens - Peace Train: A little silly, a little naive, but I can appreciate the sentiment. Fun to listen to. 4/5

5. Pudding Run - Red River Hog: Thematically 180 degrees from the previous song. Really good. Angry ?bluegrass-metal? about how everything is hosed. 5/5

6. Head For The Hills - Scrap Meta: It’s pretty good. I liked Never Does a lot better. 3/5

7. Crooked Still - Ain't No Grave: Good train-like vibe to the strings. Gives it a feeling of movement. I also like slightly modernized takes on old traditional songs like this. 4.5/5

8. Two Siberians - Before Departure: Also has a nice train-like vibe to it. And wow, some of that guitar is really impressive. String duos being really impressive is something I’m fond of. Maybe you should check out Rodrigo y Gabriela. 4.5/5

9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through the Jungle: Still kind of sounds like a train to me, though a more languid one just chugging along. That's neat, but otherwise it's fine but not terribly interesting. 3/5

10. the 4onthefloor - On Tuesdays: Remarkably similar in tone to Stand There ’Til You’re Sober on the other album, but I like this one so much better. 4/5

11. Bitter Ruin - Trust: I’ve gotten this in a mix before, but again, that’s fine. Great song. Love the dueling vocals. Somewhat similar style to The Hush Sound (though I don’t think they have any songs that come off this angry.) 5/5

12. Chastity Brown - Leroy: It’s beautiful, but I have to be in the right mood for it or else I find it pretty boring. 3/5

13. Charlie Parr - Jesus is a Hobo: I was excited for more Charlie Parr, but I only found this song okay. I liked Badger so much better. 3/5

14. Head For The Hills - Never Does: I really like this song. 5/5

15. Atmosphere - Always Coming Back Home To You: We’re taking a turn to hip hop. I noticed all the artists in this hip hop section are all from Minneapolis (as is a lot of stuff from these mixes). This one’s good. 4/5

16. Dessa - The Lamb: Dark and intense. I like it a lot. 5/5

17. Doomtree - Kid Gloves: My least favorite of this section, I think I’m just not in love with the trumpet. Still good. 3/5

18. Literati - Parade: My favorite of this section. 5/5

19. Apocalyptica - Path: A primarily cello-based metal band is a really neat idea. I like this song. 4/5

20. Butthole Surfers - Pepper: Oh, this song. Interesting to hear it in better quality than radio. Still don’t really like it though. So much of it, both the lyrics and music, is just kind of…ugly? I find it unpleasant to listen to. 1/5

21. Sex Piano - Janey I Been Lost: Good ol' Sex Piano again. I liked Dance Floor on the other album better. Still, it's cute, and a good song to end on. 3/5

Synopsis: - It's cliche for people to say "oh, I like everything except country and rap!" Those people aren't listening to the right bluegrass/folk/americana and hip hop. This mix had a lot of great examples. Also, I realize I didn’t include a lot of detail about some of these songs. Maybe I was running out of steam, but I couldn’t come up with much to say. Obviously I really liked a lot of it though! These were some of the best mixes I’ve gotten in these exchanges.

• Locked thread