Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Excited for this to make a comeback. I've been sitting on a mix idea since we stopped doing it. I promise I will not stiff anyone, but you may wish I had.

Email: lovelyhorse at gmx.net (you'll get replies from a different one though, don't be surprised)
Partners: 2
International: sure. I'll send anywhere but European partners are super appreciated, if only because I have a streak of bad luck and vanishing mail from overseas.
Review: yep! Might not be track-by-track and super in depth but I'll write something.
Mailing list: yes

e: incidentally, for anyone keeping track, we should be at swap #18.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess it's nice to hear at least a little something about how your mix was received, but honestly I never felt comfortable with the usual track-by-track format. It's cool if you're sure you have something to say about each track, but I'm alright with receiving a general impression + standouts and most likely that's what you'll get from me. :v:

And yeah I definitely got a bunch of good tracks from past mixes I received and even got turned on to some great bands I never knew about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like ~20 people is at least an okay turnout for a niche thing. If anything I'd blame people in general moving away from physical media for their music.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Aw, dangit, I missed the cutoff! The mailing list email went into my spam folder for some reason. I'd still love to get involved if anyone's willing to take on a new partner?
... what the heck, if I'm burning 4 CDs I can burn 6. Plus I still listen to a bunch of stuff from your last mixes. Up for it?

e: also, (initial) e-mails sent, and all that.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 16, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody end-of-year rush, I'm only now getting around to putting my stuff together. Don't lose hope!

... that being said I haven't yet heard from any of my partners except Perkins. You guys get my e-mail?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No rush on my behalf, just wanted to check. It's not like I'm very far with mine either. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Whoa I thought this thread had vanished, but I don't tend to delve too deep into nuGBS. My Lovely Horse, I'll get right on it.
E: also I never saw any email, can you resend?
Done!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

2 mixes sent, last one waiting for an address from Y-hat.

Gotta be a pro like me & have a stack of blank CDs that've been gathering dust since the last time CD swaps happened.
:hfive:

I recently moved and came across a stack and aaaalmost chucked them out but then I thought "well WHO KNOWS" and here we are! Although they're normal ones and not the sweet ones with the vinyl look and I could swear I still had some of those...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Status: tracklists are done, cover art is in a good place, just need to give them a final listen and, knowing me, make some last-minute swaps, but I think these might be ready to go out by the end of the week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:siren: CDS ARE ON THE WAY :siren:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I certainly do! Was actually a little concerned I might have overdone it.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I was hoping this is inspired by the JG Ballard novel
Can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4
Was a strong candidate for the mix as well, but it came down to this or Fad Gadget. Fun fact: it's the same guy who's behind Silicon Teens, and the founder of Mute Records.

Speaking of Silicon Teens, this might clear some things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVIiQ8iNvKc
There's a whole album of this stuff, and it's amazing. I think it's even on Spotify.

Human League: yeah, the first two albums are like that pretty much throughout. Then they split up and Oakey kept the name, but had a tour scheduled to start two weeks later, so he picked up two girls from a club to join the band. And then they made Dare and, as they say, the rest is history.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Always good to recycle. Yeah, I came across and listened to enough old synth stuff recently that the mix practically made itself. And then I thought I'd better make an effort to get away from it as far as possible with the other one. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Before I go into my review of Gertrude Perkins' LKTRNK (amd might I add, you missed a chance at a super witty title - should have all been instrumentals :v:), another one or two followups: a lot of these musicians found their own stuff on youtube and commented, which is how I found out that Paul Nova (one of the few artists on this mix, excluding the big names, who have more than one single to their name in the first place) even put up not only the whole album Famous Boys is from, but also his 2015 album. 31 year gap between albums is quite something. Seems to be a decent guy; so does one of the guys from Almost Alone, who not only offered to send original singles to folks in a youtube comment thread, but also did so at the risk of associating his online presence with his 80s hairstyle from the cover.

Anyway.

I never manage to find the right points scale, so I've just taken to marking the tracks I like extremely well with a star.

* Sportsday Megaphone - I Think It's Love
Nice indie-poppy kickoff to the mix. Good synths, some guitar, some chiptune influence. Already checked out the album it's from!

Whitetail - Abyss
Catchy hook tying together a fairly long track that switches between styles a few times.

BT feat. tyDi & Tania Zygar - Stem The Tides (Original Mix)
Sure sounds like a remix. Not bad, but it doesn't quite have the staying power for ten minutes... that said, the last third changes things up and it becomes pretty good again!

DJ Mastercard - Cryogenics
Almost reminds me of a remixed Street Fighter track. And i could swear those stabs are sampled straight from a SNES game.

Dirk Rugged - Unknown Sludge
More of an instrumental industrial track supported by some synths, not bad at all.

Cate Wurtz - Home Bittersweet Home
This reminds me a bit of Boards of Canada, although I should add that what I know by Boards of Canada is mainly the loop used in Salad Fingers. More obscure comparison: Qua.

Fevrier - Mandala
Not unexpectedly, this has some West Asian notes, but they're a lot more subdued than I expected from the title.

* Shlohmo - Ten Days of Falling
This one really grew on me. Somewhere between melancholy and menacing, I could imagine this as the soundtrack to something really weird and cool.

Floex - Sub-Totemic Arci Code (Tom Hodge Remix)
Calm piano tune accompanied by ambient, almost industrial noise. Very night time-y. Actually this might be growing on me the same way the previous one did.

Chtin Mara - Scent of the Wolf -
Oof, there's structure to it, it just feels too noisy. Doesn't do much for me.

* Local Wizards - Let's Go Out
Incredibly catchy, with weird glitchy vocals. My favourite so far! Again, tracked down the album already.

Paul Leonard-Morgan - Order in the Chaos
Super short detour into the realm of the semi-industrial.

* Minamotoya - Witching Hour
I have a feeling I shouldn't like this, but it's so energetic I can't help but. :v:

All Levels At Once - Depender
Pretty dubsteppy, and I've been known to enjoy that from time to time!

Dario Russo - Dance Witches
Huge 80s Italo vibes with a heavily processed vocals style that I swear I know from a fairly popular song.

Tut Tut Child - Barghest
Starts out like a film soundtrack so much I almost thought I'd caught some Vangelis on here.

LCD Soundsystem - Yeah (Crass Version)
Yeah.

Overall: good mix of different modern electronic styles, and it's put me on two two or three musical tracks that I'll have to see where they take me. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Time for a review of Gertrude Perkins' second mix, Mood(y) Music!

* Saul Williams - Horn Of The Clock-Bike
Poetry over a minimalist beat built around a frantic piano loop. Pretty intense and cool.

* Clinic - Radiostory
Kinda similar in broad concept - spoken vocals over sparse instrumentation, prominently featuring an organ this time - that nonetheless comes out as something completely different. Reminds me a bit of Tindersticks.

Grace Petrie - Overheard
Indie folk about political correctness. Kinda reminds me of Billy Bragg, maybe it's the accent.

Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapelles - Strange Love
More quiet, acoustic, still folky. This could straight up be from Conway Savage and Suzie Higgie's album Soon Will Be Tomorrow. Check it out if this is your thing.

Samm Neiland - Leave me Alone (Not by Choice)
First one that's not so memorable. Not bad, nice moody song (I went four tracks without using the title word!), but the others so far have been standing out more.

Second Person - Paper Umbrella
I try not to put songs down too much in these reviews, but the only thing I can think of is "trying for trip hop, hitting the Spice Girls Ballad mark". With better lyrics, mind.

Natti feat. Jason Coffey - Black Diamonds
Hey, straight up hip hop, nice soul chorus, pretty mellow all in all. Need to listen to more of this stuff.

Ximena Sarinana - Tomorrow
It's alright? I dunno, doesn't do much for me.

Emperor X - Fierce Resource Allocation
Pretty weird pop tune carried by some nice clean synths, could get used to this.

Disemballerina - Carpathia
Melancholy strings/acoustic guitar tune, part Apocalyptica, part Devil Eyes. It's very good, just not quite my cup of tea, entirely personally.

* Doomtree - Mini Brute
... like, the synthesizer? Sure sounds like it could be one. Anyway, a very intense hip hop track. Kinda takes some of the stuff that 90s nu metal bands brought to the table back into one of the genres nu metal was influenced by, and the result is quite good. Everything is cyclical. Ommmm.

* Darren Korb feat. Ashley Barrett - We All Become
Transistor is great, the atmosphere is great, the soundtrack is great.

Pacific//Hotline - Santa Cruz
They say they're doing a retrowave/synthpop thing and by rights I should be into that, but the way they do it - or at least this track - it just comes out as fairly plain modern indie pop.

Cold Cave - The Great Pan Is Dead
Like a metal band covering The Cure. Which turns out to not be the hottest combination.

Ana Tijoux - Shock
We've got some female-fronted Spanish rap here, and that's already a pretty cool concept. It's not a track I'm super in love with but I like that it exists.

Deerhoof - Tiny Bubbles
Weird avant-garde, post-rock-y thing that isn't bad but does kind of fizzle out before it gets anything going.

Anushka - Yes Guess
Chill club tune; this is a scene I know next to nothing about but hey, I do know I could do a lot worse than this one. Puts me in the mood to play some Lumines, actually. :v:

* Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life
Extended sax solo over what I'd guess is some African-inspired rhythm backing, some steel drums I think... and one hell of a chorus hook, this is actually really cool. Have to check out more.

Mom - Warped Tour
Eh, Moldy Peaches did this sort of thing better.

* I Am Kloot - Twist (French)
Suddenly I'm in a half empty bar and smoking a cigarette. It happens every time I put this track on and the trip back is always a huge hassle. It's very cool.

* Rioghnach Robinson - Thus Spoke Carly Rae
So it turns out that as far as explanations why you're desparately stifling the giggles go, "it's this cover of Call Me Maybe with lyrics about Friedrich Nietzsche" already goes way over most people's heads. Their loss. I guess I enjoy it mostly for the novelty value, but credit where it's due, Call Me Maybe is a really catchy tune.

On the whole, a bit of a hit-or-miss mix, but with far more hits than misses. At first I thought I'd not find any real standout tracks, but it's really more that there are more than usual. :v: I might check out more of Pacific//Hotline's stuff in addition, just to see if the other tracks are more retrowave-y.

Should mention at this point that I received Mowgli's Haircut's mixes a few days ago, buuut haven't yet had the time to dig into them. I'll try and get that done post haste!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's fine, I was pretty sure I'd be taking a gamble with that one. :v: Disaffectation is kind of the name of the game in that genre so, yeah. Funny thing is, I never could get into Kraftwerk. At all.

And Silicon Teens did do the Kinks! Doesn't seem to be on youtube, but spotify has you covered.

And here's finally the review of Gertrude Perkins' ROCKQXZ. This mix as a whole really grew on me the more I listened to it. It's got everything from indie rock over metal to punk and a few outliers; I don't really listen to a lot of contemporary music, so it was good to get a little sample of that.

Mew - My Complications
A riff straight out of a PS2 Burnout game, paired with surprisingly soft vocals. I dig it, but the instrumental bits are markedly better than the vocals bits.

Ken Ashcorp - Hunter
And if the whole song sounded like them, it probably wouldn't be entirely unlike this rocking tune. Neat.

Lux Lisbon - Bullingdon Club
I'm not the authority on The Killers or anything, but I can't help but think "wow these guys sure sound a whole lot like The Killers." In a way that makes me think they're very well aware and doing their best to play it up.

Desaparecidos - The Amo Camila Vallejo
All I was gonna say was "catchy, huge singalong factor, but if I'm completely honest it sounds a little focus grouped for maximum open air festival suitability." And then I looked them up and realized it was Conor Oberst. Don't know how I didn't realize that right away, but it explains so much. Man even back when I listened to Bright Eyes I made sure no one would catch me doing it. :v:

Brody Dalle - Dressed In Dreams
Moving away from indie stuff a bit, here's a pretty grungy tune from 2014 that I would definitely have placed in the late 90s if I didn't have the dates right here.

* The Octopus Project - Mmkit
Now we're on to something - very energetic, comparatively minimalist instrumental with some pretty cool synth pads and electro effects in the background. Like it a lot!

Corpo-Mente - Dulcin
Slowly entering the metal portion of the mix, although you wouldn't know it right away. This opera metal isn't exactly a new concept, but they carry it very well. And they even incorporate some electro stutter effects. Very nice!

* Battle Beast - Neuromancer
Super oldschool power metal with juuust the right amount of modern effects. Somehow wasn't surprised these guys are from Finland. Excellent!

Fightstar - Tannhäuser Gate
Uuugh I dunno about this one. There's a huge contrast between the metal-y and the more melodic bits and apparently that's specifically these guys' thing but I don't think they quite pull it off, at least on this track.

** BATS - Gamma Ray Burst
Love in times of the impending apocalypse through cosmic event. I'll be honest, initially I was like "ugh it's super technical metal stuff, next" but then the lyrics got my attention, and the more I listened to it... long story short it's now my favourite out of all three mixes and I bought the album right away, and it's pretty great too!

We Butter The Bread With Butter - Alles was ich will
German band #1! I was vaguely aware these guys existed but had no idea what they did. Basically I'd heard the band name somewhere before and that's it. Turns out deathcore isn't all that bad, but not something I'd go for usually.

Mad Capsule Markets - All The Time In Sunny Beach
The stanzas are hardcore and the chorus is surf punk. Kinda wish it was all one or the other. This way I like about half the song. Also, suddenly we're in the (actual) 90s!

Cardiacs - She Is Hiding behind The Shed
Suddenly we're in the early 90s! And listening to prog-ish punk. Or punky prog. Not quite working for me I'm afraid.

Elastica - Your Arse My Place
Pretty typical turn-of-the-millenium vaguely Sonic Youth-ish alternative. Had higher hopes for it from the title.

ZSK - Was uns noch übrig bleibt
German band #2! Never heard of these guys before. So I'm not super into this whole skate punk thing, but this track really grew on me. It's super hard to write German lyrics that aren't cliched or clumsy without going into hyper artsy avantgarde stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that), but these guys pull it off. And reading up on them, I like their attitude.

Bomb The Music Industry! - Never Trust A Man Without A Horribly Embarrassing Secret
Super fast punk rock beat and a thin buzzy synth, this is going places OH NO TRAPPED IT'S SKA, WHY

... I mean, I like the Specials as much as the next guy, but I never could get into all this ska punk stuff. I don't know why.

Scanners - Bombs
Mid-2000s indie rock, catchy, but no standout.

Kenickie - Classy
Yep, that sure is some late 90s punk rock. The main riff is pretty good but that late 90s stuff is always a bit... eh.

* Flobots feat. Tim McIlrath
Surprise hip hop out of nowhere, albeit backed by guitars. Very good, very strong lyrics!

Tsuko G. - Airman Ga Taosenai - I Can't Beat Airman
Well, we've all been there. Super silly song, but also catchy and fun!

On the whole, even if it seems like I'm coming down hard on some songs, a very good mix with quite a few standouts JUST WHY SKA :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

3. Eläkeläiset - Sukellan Humppaan
Okay, I guess this is polka! Or rather, the Finnish equivalent, "humppa". The lead singer has the cadence of a Japanese lounge singer - the track feels a little lacking in energy. Also the bridge section is just weird sci-fi sound effects? Despite that, it's definitely grown on me. 8/10
Don't know if you found out about their gimmick so I gotta spoil the joke here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxPUkEHemHc :v:

They put on one hell of a live show as well. There's certainly enough energy to go around in those!

quote:

11. The Gun Club - Ghost On The Highway
Oh hey, rockabilly-punk! Punkabilly? It's pretty neato, whatever it is. Feels pretty short, even though it's a full three-minute song. 8/10
I think it goes more into a punk blues direction - obviously there's tons of overlap.

quote:

13. Kumikameli - Muinaismuisto
More Finnish stuff! This one's late-90s rock, but the verses sound more of a grunge throwback. I wish I spoke any Finnish, because with this kind of song the lyrics tend to make or break for me. Taken just on sound, it's inoffensive, but nothing special. 5/10
Well, this is what Google Translate makes of them. Apparently Finnish is a tough one for mechanical translation. (Any Fingerpori reader could tell you that I guess.)

I have a CD of theirs where they put liner notes to every song. It paints an interesting picture of them. Some choice bits (with genres even):

quote:

Tarmo - Ballad of a man with a hat made of porcupine with the spikes turned inwards. (Action)
Satu - Story of a king who makes queen a widow by coughing to death while burning heretics in the backyard. (Healthy Cooking)
Horjuva Holtiton Matkustaja - Happy funeral waltz of a man who was a shithead anf finally got what he deserved. (Drama-Comedy)
Fun fact: Eläkeläiset are a side project of Kumikameli.

quote:

16. Nomeansno - Our Town
I recently had Nomeansno recommended to me! Another band hella influenced by Nick Cave here, an eight-minute portrait of a dark urban wasteland. It's good, but I zoned out a fair bit - it doesn't change up too interestingly to justify the full eight minutes. 7/10
Yeah, it's not one of their more energetic tracks. Try this or this one, they're a bit more typical.

And since you seem to have noticed a bit of a Nick Cave theme: I had a few different mix ideas that all kinda ended up in this one, and one was "Six degrees of Nick Cave" - only bands that Nick Cave or any of the Bad Seeds were somehow involved in. So you'd get the Bad Seeds, Grinderman, Birthday Party, Einstürzende Neubauten, Dirty Three, PJ Harvey, all the way to Kylie Minogue. Maybe another time!

Time for another review - here's the first of Mowgli's Haircut's two untitled CDs. It's super short!

* FIDLAR - Wake Bake Skate
Energetic raw punk rock, great stuff, great kickoff to the mix!

Titus Andronicus - Lookalike
At under 50 seconds I bet it's more punk! And it is, and it's also great!

** Jay Reatard - It's So Easy
I bought the album this is from immediately and this review would have been up on Wednesday if I'd been able to stop listening to it long enough to go back to the mix. poo poo this guy had an ear for catchy melodies.

* Diarrhea Planet - My Dubs
First song that reduces the tempo a bit... halfway through, and it's only 1.26. And it still manages to have a guitar solo.

Wavves - Hippes Is Punks
Okay, we're reducing the tempo for real now. These guys give me a bit of a 90s vibe, kinda Alice Donut-like. Not bad at all!

Drenge - We Can Do What We Want
More energetic raw rock. 3 minutes suddenly seems like a really long time for a song after the intro barrage of ultrashort punk songs. Still pretty good.

Traams - Low
And so is this. I feel like by now we've covered the standout tracks, but don't get me wrong, these are all still great.

together PANGEA - Badillac
Spoke too soon, this one's really good, great bassline. Is that a harmonica? That's the last thing I expected...

Titus Andronicus - Dimed Out
Hey, these guys again! Think I like this one better than the 50 second one.

FIDLAR - Stupid Decisions
... don't much like that one, but I'll leave it at that, considering the backstory.

* Carolina Chocolate Drops - Mahalla
Okay, changing gears entirely, here's some old-timey string music. I really enjoy this, very upbeat.

* Damon Albarn - Mr Tembo
I only ever had very superficial contact with Albarn's various projects, apart from the songs everyone's heard. An African-inspired pop tune was definitely not what I expected. It's extremely catchy though!

Villagers - Courage
I'm detecting the faintest trace of Leonoard Cohen in this quiet acoustic tune. Not bad at all.

Ty Segall - Green Belly
Hmm. There is a definite late 60s vibe going on here and that's extremely my thing, but somehow this track doesn't quite do it. Not ready to call it a standout track quite yet, but I'll keep an eye on this guy.

Will Butler - Witness
A similar kind of retro sensibility here with the piano chords. Decent.

Matt Berry - Take My Hand
I knew Matt Berry was a musician as well, I didn't know it was gonna be so early 70s. And I swear that intro is lifted straight from something very familiar indeed, but I can't put my finger on it. Not that I mind, this is pretty good.

Overall - excellent mix! I liked the intro punk songs most, but it was all very good (well, almost), from the punk stuff over the slower alternative ones all the way to the 60s revival tracks. And I got a fantastic album out of it as well. Thanks very much!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah that's fine, I was thinking "well this is a love-it-or-hate-it thing if ever there was" even as I was putting it together. :v:

Never heard of the show until today. But it's written by Arthur Mathews, huh? Might check it out. I know Berry from Darkplace and Mighty Boosh, and IT Crowd, obviously.

I have, however, seen the video! Ages ago, but yeah, going through the mix the first time I thought "isn't that the one with the sweet robot video"? Now all I have to figure out is if that's where I know the song from or if I wasn't maybe thinking "there's something very specifically familiar about those chords" back when I saw it the first time, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sure

• Locked thread