Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I'm down.

E-mail: username at gmail
How many partners: 3
International: yes
Review: yes
Mailing list: think I'm already on it, but sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Partners emailed. IT BEGINS.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Dropped off my CDs at the post office!

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

School of Seven Bells- When You Sing- I listen to these CDs twice, and this one was somehow way better the second time. Also has a catchy riff. Nothing spectacular about it, but nothing objectionable either! 4/5

Funny thing, I actually edited that track to make it shorter. The part where it fades out? Yeah, in the original it goes on for another few minutes or so, it's like an 8 minute song. I trimmed it mainly to make it fit in the mix so I could include more songs overall, and because I think its kinda repetitive after a while. I just like the mood and tempo of the song.

quote:

The Mountain Goats- Heel Turn 2- I think I would like this song better if it was being sung by someone else, because the vocalist has this shake to his voice that I realize was probably supposed to sound authentic, but just makes me think he's either about to start crying or is incredibly nervous. Did not need to be 6 minutes long. Why does it end with like 2 minutes of an unrelated melody on piano?

John Darnielle, the singer, just always sounds like that. I guess he's an acquired taste. I think I remember thinking his voice sounded a little goofy when I first found him. IIRC, I actually first heard them from an SA CD Swap of yesteryear. Yeah, the track's a bit long - to be honest I usually hit the "skip" button on my iphone once the main part of the actual song finishes, I usually don't let the whole piano segment play. I thought it'd be a nice way to end the mix, you know? Stick it at the end, have a little peaceful denouement, that sort of thing. Ah well, can't win 'em all.

Pinechild posted:

Overall, this CD was pretty meh for me, mostly due to my non-interest in most of the genres represented. Sorry! I promise the next two CDs were better received. I will hopefully get to runchild's single CD next, though.

Hey, thanks for the review! Glad you ended up liking the other discs. I need to get off my rear end and post some thoughts about the mixes you sent me. Overall I was pretty pleased.

• Locked thread