Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

poo poo, I'm in. I never do this poo poo but the semester is over in two weeks and I need something to do when I'm avoiding my thesis. Xmage, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I've gotten Xmage and built the start of a deck but I can't get Xmage to let me play the deck at all because it isn't legal in any format. I don't know if Xmage will let us play a custom format or not, but I haven't found a way yet.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

Just make a limited game. There's no limits on that besides needing at least a forty card deck. I was able to make a table with a deck of 41 sol rings.

I tried that but couldn't get it to let the AI join that table. I guess I need another human to test against, or a better AI?

E: VV Yeah, just realized that. Whoops.

E2: I think the forums ate a post I made here. Not sure.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 28, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can make your own server if you want to play against the AI.

Yeah I just realizee this, the AI is probably disabled on public servers. I am good at computer.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 28, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

It didn't eat a post entirely, technically, it just doesn't show up at the bottom of the page at times until someone else makes a post.

That's really bizarre, and also the first time that I've ever encountered that behavior. I'm assuming it's a newish bug, but maybe I've just not seen it until now.

I did manage to get the AI running on my local server and it is not the brightest thing ever. At least I can try to gold fish the deck but I've never seen it attack into a blocker or block anything. The deck seems to be working, though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Irony be my Shield, get in touch with me, my schedule is pretty open this week. I'll be hanging out in IRC or you can PM me.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

Looks like Sigma got it wrong. It should be irc.synirc.net as the server and #mtgoon for room.

Also, Lancelot, as mentioned, I'm good for Friday and Saturday.

Is this why I've been idling in an empty room for hours?

Wait, this is what the webclient directs to. Now I'm confused. Oh, mtgoon vs mtgoons

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 4, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

When are we posting lists?

After round one, which should be done by Monday. Irony and I have yet to play, because real life.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

It might also make sense for us to post the time zones that we live/work in, so we have an idea of what time someone will be active. Turns out that IBMS was available in the evenings, but he's like 7 hours ahead of me and that makes a difference.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I beat Irony Be My Shield 2-0 because I'm whitelisted or something and he couldn't draw red sources game two.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't think we've heard from Odiv and Defeatist Elitist.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deck: W/U Artifacts

//Lands
4 Ancient Den
7 Island
7 Plains
4 Seat of the Synod

//Spells
3 Council's Judgment
4 Cranial Plating
3 Preordain
4 Sol Ring
2 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thirst for Knowledge
2 Unexpectedly Absent

//Creatures
4 Lodestone Golem
3 Master of Etherium
4 Myr Enforcer
4 True-Name Nemesis
2 Wurmcoil Engine

//Sideboard
3 Aura of Silence
3 Containment Priest
1 Swords to Plowshares
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Path to Exile
2 Return to Dust
2 Wash Out

I think the wash outs in the board are probably unnecessary, but I was afraid of being run over by the elf deck or something like that. I'm not sure if the Swords in the board should be another council's judgment to kill TNNs and Dacks or not, and I think the unexpectedly absent might not be worth it even as a 2 mana griptide. I have zero idea how I don't just lose to vandalblast.

E: Actually, looking at the decks above me I think wash out might have some game. Naming green makes them all very sad.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 7, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

lol

4 Door to Nothingness

The best deck.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

odiv posted:

I'll post my deck this evening too, but it's Boros Robots. I had a deck similar to little munchkin's, but then I panicked because I had poo poo for removal and traded blue out for white. I lost Dack in the trade, so maybe it wasn't worth it. I also spent less time looking for synergistic artifact creatures, so I just have some dumb/obvious ones.

That sounds sort of like my deck, but I'm playing W/U robots because I think blue is stronger than red. And by stronger I mean "lets me play TNN." I still mostly fold to vandalblast.

Also Muon's bant turbofog is the only deck so far with no sol rings.

I figure that TNN would be the biggest boogeyman of the format and that I'd run into some reanimator of one flavor or another. I missed the presence of vandalblast as a sweeper and I also underestimated just how annoying Dack is when you have a ton of artifacts in your deck.

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Enjoy a deck that almost certainly should contain golgari signets:

Deck: Reanimator Midrange

No Reya dawnbringer? Just too hard to cast and you didn't want to go all in on the reanimate plan? Also, I'm in mountain time and I'm free most evenings.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 8, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

At the request of Sigma-X, here are the bad decks that I toyed around with running and/or built to have the the AI run to test against various types of interaction. The AI is particularly bad with certain cards, it will often name itself when casting true-name nemesis, and just plain crashes after turn 4 or 5 when piloting the elf deck. As you can see, I am very good at ignoring my thesis.

Elfball
//Lands
14 Forest
6 Mountain

//Creatures
2 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader
4 Imperious Perfect
2 Joraga Warcaller
2 Lys Alana Huntmaster
2 Priest of Titania
2 Thornweald Archer

//Spells
1 Rolling Thunder
4 Skullclamp
4 Sol Ring
3 Sylvan Library

I tested this with Garruk Wildspeaker in it at first, but he doesn't do enough and I always wished he was Ezuri or a Warcaller. This has zero interaction beyond the singleton rolling thunder and would definitely benefit from some more. It hits real hard though. This is probably the biggest reason I have wash out in the board, because it's just really hard to deal with this many dudes. Probably needs fires of yavimaya too.

W/R Giants
//Lands
13 Mountain
10 Plains

//Creatures
2 Borderland Behemoth
2 Brion Stoutarm
2 Hamletback Goliath
2 Inferno Titan
2 Kalemne's Captain
2 Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
2 Sunrise Sovereign
4 Stinkdrinker Daredevil
4 Thundercloud Shaman

//Spells
3 Boros Charm
4 Boros Signet
4 Sol Ring
4 Lightning Helix

This deck is super reliant on drawing a daredevil, and is mostly just very bad. Occasionally it is hilarious and just blows you out with massive dudes. Thundercloud shaman is amazing, but I think it's bugged in xmage as it never did any damage with its trigger.

G/B Reanimator the all-in version
//Lands
7 Forest
4 Golgari Guildgate
4 Jungle Hollow
8 Swamp

//Creatures
1 Angel of Despair
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Grave Titan
1 Hornet Queen
4 Lotleth Troll
1 Reya Dawnbringer
3 Satyr Wayfinder
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Teneb, the Harvester
1 Wurmcoil Engine

//Spells
3 Buried Alive
4 Dread Return
2 Grisly Salvage
1 Living Death
2 Phyrexian Arena
2 Reanimate
4 Sol Ring
2 Stitch Together
2 Victimize

This deck was pretty linear, cast a lotleth troll or buried alive fill your yard and then get huge things. I basically decided I cared nothing for hardcasting most of the monsters so mana is basically not a consideration. It probably needs work because grave titan and reya are almost 100% the correct choice each time, Reya is obvious and the zombies from grave titan let you flash back the dread returns. Hornet queen does the same, but isn't repeatable like the titan. I cut Terastodon from this but he'd be a very good sideboard card.

R/U Artifacts or, Valuetown
//Lands
4 Great Furnace
6 Island
8 Mountain
4 Seat of the Synod

//Creatures
2 Bosh, Iron Golem
2 Feldon of the Third Path
4 Goblin Welder
2 Myr Battlesphere
4 True-name Nemesis
4 Wurmcoil Engine

//Spells
3 Dack Fayden
3 Daretti, Scrap Savant
4 Faithless Looting
4 Izzet Signet
2 Scrap Mastery
4 Sol Ring

This one seems pretty easy, like half the people seem to be on this plan. It's a good plan, but I went with white because of how much removal it brings over red and containment priest is really good in a format with dread return and goblin welder.

I also considered a deck that ran windfall, magus of the wheel, jace's archivist, whirlpool warrior, and just tried to mill everyone out and not lose first. The lack of lab maniac makes this plan really bad.
E: Oh hey, whirlpool warrior doesn't do what I thought it did. Boo.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I beat Defeatist Elitist 2-1 in a harrowing series of games, rife with client issues. That was some of the best magic I've played. I was sweating it basically every turn.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Crazy crazy games on both ends. Highlights include flipping dread return and bane of progress with the same wayfinder, and hardcasting soooo many things. Last game involved a turn 2 Lodestone Golem, a magister of worth killing two True Name nemesises at once in the nick of time, and some of the clutchest paths, and swords you can imagine.

Don't forget how I lost game one after getting to 69 life.

Also game three was the thirstiest game ever, so much knowledge was thirsted for.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I can't loving read. We're still waiting on the steve/elyv game though, right? Hurry it up guys or I'm letting Steve take the win because he posted last.

e: also go to bed it's 4:30am in california there is no reason for you to be awake at this time unless you're in a country where they don't speak english or spell color with superfluous 'u's

It's 5:30 here, I should be going to bed, and IBMS is definitely somewhere across the Atlantic. Roughly GMT I think.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'll be hanging around in IRC, Little Munchkin.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

little munchkin posted:

thursday or sunday night are the only good days for me. either of those work for you? pick a time

Either of those days are good for me, I'm in mountain time, I'll chill in the IRC channel when I'm around. If one of them works better for you let me know. I'm on break from school so my schedule is basically empty of things that have actual times on them.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Little Munchkin, I'm idling in the channel. I hope your deck works in Xmage because I don't have cockatrice.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I beat Little Munchkin 2-1, he timed out staring down a lethal TNN.

Game one he played the goblin welder value plan, destroyed me. Games two and three I draw a lot more removal and things go my way. Game three he drew probably 30 cards just to find a single vandalblast.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I know sigma was traveling for the holidays, while also looking for a new job and maybe having to move for a new job. I'll see if I can get in touch with him. I'm also moving, but nearly finished, so I should be good to go for the final round.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

So what's the word?

It's you and me for the champion spot, I guess. I'm freshly moved so my internet situation is patchy and my desktop is in storage. I'll try to hang out in IRC when I can but it would be better to schedule a time.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Sunday evening?

That should work fine. I'll get Xmage installed here on my laptop and rebuild my deck in the meantime. Turns out that posting decklists was a good idea. I'm in mountain time, got a rough estimate of when would be good for you?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Sunday evening?

I'm idling in #mtgoon while xmage downloads all these card images. Ugh.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

I'm idling in #mtgoon while xmage downloads all these card images. Ugh.

I'm doing this again, minus the downloading. Ready whenever.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok Snorkel, I'm going to assume that you went on to do other things like a reasonable person would have done. I'll still be in IRC checking it every so often while I play fallout 4 in the other room, but if we need to reschedule that also works.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Yeah we'll have to try for later this coming week.

My evenings are usually pretty free, and I can arrange for daytime stuff with a few days notice if needed. Just let me know what works for you and we'll get this done.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

My evenings are usually pretty free, and I can arrange for daytime stuff with a few days notice if needed. Just let me know what works for you and we'll get this done.

I'm hanging out on IRC right now, but it's also X-files night, soooooooo.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

We're snowed in and I'm trying not to starve. I'll commit to finding you this week.
Good luck! I seem to recall you being in a state that could see regular snow so hopefully your town/city is well equipped for digging out. I'll try to hang around in IRC in the evenings, I've improved my internet enough that I can probably idle while also playing fallout, so that should help :v:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy Snorkel, do you want to give this a try tonight or tomorrow night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Pussy snorkel takes it 2-0. Oof.

Game one was draw all the lands, game two was not. It happens, I suppose. I did draw a ton of removal, but not enough. The variance is real. I will take solace in having beat you that one time before the tournament started.

Now, the fun part. In retrospect I would never have played Myr Enforcer at all and would have run the containment priests mainboard as a 4 of. Unexpectedly absent seems awesome as a 2 mana griptide, in reality it is bad and should have been more Path/Swords. I also needed a better way to deal with Dack, who hadn't really been a problem until our match, but it was clear there that he does some super good work. Maybe o-ring. Usually TNN works but I have to be able to cast those to attack with them.

Also IRC refuses to work right now, so yeah.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 31, 2016

• Locked thread