Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Also interested. There certainly seem to be plenty of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

After preliminary testing I can confirm that this is some extremely good poo poo. The mix of extremely absurd cards and strategies with the extremely specific lack of certain powerful cards is really really amazing.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv I will try to be on IRC in the evenings for the rest of the week. Let me know if some other arrangement is better for you.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

Nothing until Wednesday at the earliest, so you don't have to show up before then. I'll post again when I figure out my schedule.

No problem, I'm not super available today or tomorrow anyway.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

I'll start hanging around on IRC tonight. I'm only free after about 9pm Mountain Wed-Fri though, so that's a bit rough if you're on the East coast.

If you want to play earlier, then the weekend is our best bet.

I'm on the West Coast, so it's PST for me, we should be all good.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

I think I saw you around 7pm-ish Wednesday, but by the time I checked back in around 9, you weren't there. Hung out yesterday too and didn't see you in there. Probably won't be able to play until late tonight, but I'll try to check in, anyway.

Edit: yeah, won't be able to play tonight, anyway.

I've been hit by a string of bad weather, so my power was out for a while and my internet connection was very poor after. I'm also away on family business tonight, but should be able to do Sunday evening if that works for you?

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

Cool, yeah, Sunday night works.

Does your deck work in xmage?

My preferred deck does work fine, though I had a cascade deck with split cards in it that I decided against.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

odiv posted:

I barely got there, 2-1.

Confirming. Made a couple big mistakes, some that didn't end up mattering, a couple that did.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Enjoy a deck that almost certainly should contain golgari signets:

Deck: Reanimator Midrange

//Main
4 Reanimate
4 Sol Ring
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Smallpox
1 Stitch Together
4 Dread Return
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 The Mimeoplasm
1 Magister of Worth
1 Angel of Despair
1 Angel of Serenity
1 Scion of Darkness
1 Terastodon
1 Artisan of Kozilek
4 Forest
4 Golgari Rot Farm
3 Reflecting Pool
3 Swamp
4 Vivid Marsh
4 Vivid Grove

//Sideboard
4 Dark Ritual
2 Dread Summons
4 Scavenging Ooze
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Acidic Slime
1 Shriekmaw
1 Bane of Progress

Display deck statistics

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

That sounds sort of like my deck, but I'm playing W/U robots because I think blue is stronger than red. And by stronger I mean "lets me play TNN." I still mostly fold to vandalblast.

Also Muon's bant turbofog is the only deck so far with no sol rings.

I figure that TNN would be the biggest boogeyman of the format and that I'd run into some reanimator of one flavor or another. I missed the presence of vandalblast as a sweeper and I also underestimated just how annoying Dack is when you have a ton of artifacts in your deck.

No Reya dawnbringer? Just too hard to cast and you didn't want to go all in on the reanimate plan? Also, I'm in mountain time and I'm free most evenings.

I had a RUG deck built around cascade + TNN but there were just a bunch of bits of it that rubbed me the wrong way. On the whole it was probably better than the current deck I'm playing, but a little less fun.

True Name was an absolute beast though in all my test games. The card seems completely absurd in this format.

edit: I'm on pacific time, also available most evenings. We've been having stormy weather lately and had a few power outages, but hopefully the worst of it is over.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Ramos posted:

Cool, I was trying to figure out how to do golgari reanimator but couldn't figure out a good build and ended up on Grixis instead. I really like this deck, it has a lot of early game and grind potential.

Manabase feels really sketchy, and there are a few other things I'm still not sure on, but the option to just win with early beaters, or to hard cast instead of reanimate felt worth giving up some of the core engine efficiency.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

I beat Defeatist Elitist 2-1 in a harrowing series of games, rife with client issues. That was some of the best magic I've played. I was sweating it basically every turn.

Crazy crazy games on both ends. Highlights include flipping dread return and bane of progress with the same wayfinder, and hardcasting soooo many things. Last game involved a turn 2 Lodestone Golem, a magister of worth killing two True Name nemesises at once in the nick of time, and some of the clutchest paths, and swords you can imagine.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 8, 2015

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Don't forget how I lost game one after getting to 69 life.

Lotleth troll is a hell of a card.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Chamale posted:

Someone polled a bunch of pros what the best first pick for a rotisserie draft of all of Magic would be. Sol Ring was first, followed by Black Lotus and Ancestral Recall.

A couple of the early decks I threw together in this format were general goodstuff decks that were almost completely full of cheap, multicolor value creatures (1 or fewer generic mana in the casting cost), and it was still right to just run 4x sol ring (admittedly the signets make that a much more supportable thing).

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Ramos posted:

2-0 in favor of Odiv.

Man, gently caress Goblin Welder. Granted, both of those games I could have played a ton better.

Game 1 I decided to keep a hand of four Vandalblasts only to realize that Wurmcoil laughs at that. Never drew into any reanimator targets to pitch. Game 2 I had a reasonable hand but no Vandalblasts and as such got steamrolled. Then Goblin Welders just made a total fool of me.

Probably the right play Game 1 would have been to mulligan. Game 2 would have been to keep Overseer of the Damned instead of my own Wurmcoil Engines and used that to kill both the Welders and Daretti before working on the wurms.

Real talk, Wurmcoil engine is the bane of my existence. Welder makes it even worse.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

So I'm still waiting on the Ramos / Odiv match and the Elyv and Suicidesteve match. I know it's busy times - please check in ASAP. I'll give you guys til end of tuesday.

Looks like Odiv beat Ramos 2-0 according to this.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I can't loving read. We're still waiting on the steve/elyv game though, right? Hurry it up guys or I'm letting Steve take the win because he posted last.

e: also go to bed it's 4:30am in california there is no reason for you to be awake at this time unless you're in a country where they don't speak english or spell color with superfluous 'u's

tbh the extra 'u's thing is a sort of identity crisis, because on one hand getting rid of them just makes so much sense and is one of america's greatest contributions to the world, but on the other hand everybody around me uses them like some weird patriotic gesture so I kind of get used to it and start inserting them automatically.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

IBMS, I'll be available some mix of evenings and days for the next week or so. I have an irregular work schedule, but am also expecting to do a bit of travelling to meet with someone. I'll try to be on IRC whenever I'm available.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Well, my computer is hosed right now, if all goes well it will be fixed before long, but if we run up to the deadline before then, just have me concede to IBMS.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Well by some incredible feat of necromancy I've restored my computer to mostly working condition. If you're doing nothing at all on Christmas Eve, IBMS, I'll try to be in IRC, but don't sweat it (obviously).

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I actually may be able to later, although this machine only has Cockatrice.

Unfortunately it's not looking like I'll be able to be on this evening, or the next couple days, so I'll concede this round to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

It would seem line we're waiting on Sigma-x. Last round ended ages ago.

• Locked thread