Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm enjoying the fact that the plot and motivations are pretty straight forward and relatable so far. Something nice and quaint about the game, like a nice warm apple pie. I was like "UH OH" when Marle decided she wanted to try out the teleporter, lol.

Chrono Trigger is prettyy awesome and I've lost count of how many time I've played. Hope you enjoy it. (Seconding the added content in the DS version kinda sucks--it's pretty obvious, though, so it's easy to get around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Before today I never knew the N64 was capable of FMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ1oVWPSDUE

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

The N64 port of Resident Evil 2 has all the cutscenes, amazingly

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

mycophobia posted:

The N64 port of Resident Evil 2 has all the cutscenes, amazingly
http://vr-zone.com/articles/one-gamings-forgotten-technical-achievements/77665.html

quote:

While the Playstation version of Resident Evil 2 had the luxury of two discs — ample real estate for a game that came in at 1.2 GB — the team responsible for porting the Nintendo 64 version only had 64MB to work with, and they also had to include gamedata, textures and sounds into this claustrophobic environment.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

how the hell did they pull that off/.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

rediscover posted:

uh, it says in the article

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

nintendo 64mb

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

rediscover posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131556/postmortem_angel_studios_.php

that studio is now Rockstar San Diego

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Gato's song is the business.

Beat up gato then steal the lunch, over and over, for hours.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

:eyepop:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I've been playing a bunch of old arcade games that arent really good but have something interesting about them.

Blade Master: This has an early version of the Revengeance parry that feels fantastic but they made it so you can't use it against most things. I like the part where you ride on a giant cicada. You can jump on downed enemies and stab them, but then you lose 1/3 of your life when they knock you off. Baffling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsWyT9DxTk

Psycho Dream: SNES beat em up based on dreams. Also has a giant cicada. You fight alot of weird monsters in depressing abandoned buildings. The last boss is strangely poignant and its music is this sort of Suicide remix of Ave Maria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS4fQw1NeAY

Dino Rex: one of the most insane games i've ever seen. an unplayably bad dinosaur fighting game. Between matches there is a bonus stage subplot where your dinosaur appears in present-day Hong Kong and destroys civilization. there's a newscast segment after each bonus stage, but after the third one you get a "collapse of civilization" bonus and the newscast is just a bunch of scratchy hieroglyphics over a scene of people fleeing down a ruined highway lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzoK9LFiMHI

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
dino rex loving owns lmao, i got it on my random mame stream and its so dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

absolutely anything posted:

dino rex loving owns lmao, i got it on my random mame stream and its so dumb

I saw this the other night and I went to download the rom

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
you have to play it with the sound down because the pachy screech is the worst sound in the world

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
good book https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works-reprint?ref=project_link

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

i remember RE2 coming out for N64 and being absolutely amazed it was possible to port it

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Captain gently caress Face posted:

i remember RE2 coming out for N64 and being absolutely amazed it was possible to port it

Same but starcraft 64.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

The old FMV was like, literally the game would just play a video. It was just when your game was 2GB you could stuff a shitload of videos into it. That's why at some point they were selling literal episodes of TV shows on GBA carts.

The N64 carts went up to 64 Mb lol. Someone wrote a way too detailed article on them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_Game_Pak

The GBA tv stuff is such a weird relic of its time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_Video#Disadvantages

You can buy loving shrek the movie on a gba cart. People forget that between this and UMDs there's a reason phones ate the handheld gaming space, people always wanted a mobile device that could do more than games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

check out the intro to Megami Tensei II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Qclf7CxlI

pretty kick rear end imo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can buy loving shrek the movie on a gba cart. People forget that between this and UMDs there's a reason phones ate the handheld gaming space, people always wanted a mobile device that could do more than games
I have a copy of Lords of Dogtown that came with my PSP at launch, instead of a game GameStop bundled in loving Lords of Dogtown. It really taught me something about expectations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The old FMV was like, literally the game would just play a video. It was just when your game was 2GB you could stuff a shitload of videos into it. That's why at some point they were selling literal episodes of TV shows on GBA carts.

The N64 carts went up to 64 Mb lol. Someone wrote a way too detailed article on them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_Game_Pak

The GBA tv stuff is such a weird relic of its time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Advance_Video#Disadvantages

it was a weird time, and the way that tech came to fruition was also weird:

quote:

Alex: Looking back now, I can see that we were young and fearless and didn’t see any limits to what we could do. We were at a trade show in the UK and had just seen some specifications for the Game Boy Advance, which was launched around that time. We thought that with so many display colours maybe we could include a movie in the software. We weren’t sure whether we would be able to do it, but we were bold enough to go up to the Nintendo booth and look around trying to find someone we could talk to. (laughs)

Jérôme: We thought we would have zero chance of getting anything out of it.

Alex: Right. And then I saw someone who seemed a bit remote and just walking around, but he seemed to work at Nintendo. He was Japanese and I could see from his badge that he was some kind of general manager, so I realised that he was an important person. So I jumped in and did my piece, saying "we think we can do something great with the Game Boy Advance based on the specs! Please just give us a chance to show it!" But my English wasn’t good enough and I was probably speaking too fast from excitement, so Okada-san didn’t really understand what I was saying.

Iwata: And your English was probably much more French than it is now.

Alex: So I was very disappointed. But he must have thought that something about it was interesting because he came back to the booth we had. But we still struggled to communicate, so I just wrote numbers on a piece of paper. I wrote the resolution of the Game Boy Advance, the frame rate and the number of bits per pixel, and I divided by 100. I was trying to show how much the graphical data can be compressed by this calculation. When Okada-san saw that fraction along with the numbers, it must have rung a bell in his head because he said, “Oh yeah! That’s great!” So the fraction was saying everything.

Iwata: You couldn’t communicate with words so you were having a conversation with numbers?

Alex: From an engineer to an engineer, there is no language barrier with numbers. It’s a universal language.

Iwata: I think that's really amazing. Your courage to approach Okada-san but also Okada-san's courage to start asking you to do something. (laughs) I can still remember when Okada-san came back and he told me, "I met some interesting people in France and I've asked them to work on something to see what they can do."

Alex: I didn’t know that he talked to you about us. (laughs)

actimagine was eventually purchased by nintendo, renamed NERD (heh) and would go on to create the nes classic and a bunch of virtual console tech

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Kins posted:

actimagine was eventually purchased by nintendo, renamed NERD (heh) and would go on to create the nes classic and a bunch of virtual console tech

thats nuts wow

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Kins posted:

That's awesome

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

The Kins posted:

That's really cool

Dec 26, 2012

The Kins posted:

hot drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This should be rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_UHWHjI2s

I thought Danny's doom doc waffled between being lame advertainment (spent like 15 minutes talking about how epic Doom 3 was "..." ) and fascinating in a seemingly unintentional way (how desperately Bethesda wants to paint modern ID as torchbearers of the spirit of original ID even though that's a completely insane notion). But I'm optimistic that a Romero profile will be pretty frank and neat.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
it could also be a puff piece to coincide with him relaunching his Kickstarter game

it'll probably be good but Romero's done nothing but talk about himself for 20 years so there probably isn't much left to learn about him at this point

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

do you consider the earthworm jim games more as genesis games or snes games?

how about the mortal kombat games?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Earthworm Jim SNES definitely.

MK1 Genesis; 2, 3 and ultimate are SNES

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
let me elaborate:

Earthworm jium just looks and sounds way better on the SNES. no contest here. basically the same feeling with the MK games after the first one.

MK1 obv the blood is only on genesis, butr I think the music is better too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MK1 SNES is a bad port in lots of ways aside from blood but the later ports were fine

Earthworm Jim is absolutely better on MD but there were other versions for MCD, PC, etc that are further improved. none of them are fun

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i think of them all as genesis games, also boogerman

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Earthworm Jim is absolutely better on MD but there were other versions for MCD, PC, etc that are further improved. none of them are fun

Elaborate!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played earthworm Jim but videos make it seem really boring

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

2 is one of those games where every other level is a new minigame because they dont know how to make their own levels interesting for an entire game

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im not going to pretend that the earthworm jim games are anything great but I absolutely adored them as a kid and I still think they look really good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mycophobia posted:

im not going to pretend that the earthworm jim games are anything great but I absolutely adored them as a kid and I still think they look really good

i had a tape of the cartoon and still have a jim action figure in box

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mycophobia posted:

Elaborate!!!

MD version has an extra level that's not in the SNES version, MCD/Windows versions have another extra level, redbook audio, lots of little visual enhancements, dumb videos, etc

In Training posted:

Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, a few of the 16-bit Disney platformers were made by the same team and they all have a similar feel, they're a cut above the typical licensed/eurogamer crap of that era but the levels are mostly just filler between gimmicks and the gimmicks aren't always very good

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Aladdin was pretty solid, except for the carpet ride level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Win. Im gonna play a bunch of random crap on this this afternoon with a fresh cup of coffee and the heat turned up to beat the cold.