Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Full Metal Jackass posted:

What's the deal with the DirecTV dishes on Hoth? Are they supposed to do more damage than the other turrets there or something? I can't kill anyone with them with their one shot and then cooldown. Are they supposed to charge or something? I hit a guy right on and got hit markers and he didnt die.

They're really for vehicles. They do like a quarter of an ATST's health and 5% of an ATAT's per shot. They also one shot fighters if anyone is dumb enough to try strafe you from a super low angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly the annoying thing about ion torpedoes for pilots is that a lot of the time you can actually dodge them with sharp tens depending on what angle it's coming at you from but it's almost completely arbitrary when this does and does not work

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

I see Battlefront up for sale for $45 right now, debating getting it. I liked the demo a lot, but if it doesn't have much more than a handful of maps I'm not sure I want to pay that much. Thoughts?

It entirely depends on how much $45 means to you

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Star Wars: Battlefront - We Follow the Rule of Two (Game Modes)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

is battlefront esports

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jakku is really fun, pretty biased in favor of the Rebels but it's mostly because 90% of the Imperials don't realize that if you lose one point you lose them all in that zone

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

More importantly after the game starts everyone loads in but gets to wait another 15-20 seconds or so to show off your emotes

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jakku is also a great example of how useful speeders can be with a super open outdoors map and no enemy fighters to contest them

not very

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Who cares about this dumb turret bullshit

Serious and very important questions for high level players: when the rebel aliens emote, is it in alien languages?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Super 3 posted:

I feel like an Ion torpedo is only doing about 25% of their hp, blowing them up in an AT-ST isn't too hard but against infantry early game they really rape face.

ion shot + t-21 kills them from full hp in like 3 seconds

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It looks like Imperials no longer get any air support at all in phase 3 on Sullust now. Not sure who was arguing that the Rebels had way too hard of a time on that planet of all places

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Btw they also took out interceptors from phase 3 Hoth so I hope the Imperials won the air battle in phase 2 or else you get 2-3 A wings and snowspeeders dumping on them all phase long lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fightest posted:

My question is why turbolasers on Sullust are anti-infantry. They are capital ship weapons for use against capital ships. They are the same as the guns in the Death Star trench, and here they do gently caress all against AT-STs. My immersion is ruined.

To be fair they 1 shot fighters if you can hit one

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

who honestly gives a gently caress

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

They also moved some of the vehicle power ups in the balance patch. So the rebel x wing power up in phase 1 hoth that used to be in the crashed X wing is now on top of the cliff overlooking it; which was a pretty good change imho since before it was pretty much smack in the middle of one of the main empire routes

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I'm training now so that when DICE balance patches all the lovely star cards I'll be ready

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sullust is absolutely miserable for the Imperials now holy moly. Even if you stop them from getting a single Y wing in the first phase, all it takes is a couple good A wing pilots in the second phase and you're hosed, since now the third phase you have no way to contest them

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Of all the blasters I think I actually like the full auto heavy blaster that wasn't in the beta the most. It's pretty accurate at long range but still can hold its own up close unlike the t-21b

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Can't wait for level 30 and the NOOOOOO emote.

I'm glad that this is the only thing from the prequel trilogy that made it into the game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shooting down A-wings with turbolasers on Sullust is maybe the most satisfying thing you can do in the game, and only slightly less frustrating than trying to kill people with the cycler rifle

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the jetpack is fitting imho

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

just wait till yall see the victory cutscene for Turning Point on Jakku

there isn't one

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Have you played endor? There are no static guns in phase 1, the imperial spawn is very close, and one of the rebel spawns is inside making it about the same distance as the imperial spawn. A second rebel spawn is directly in front of the at-at, so if someone gets in that is covered. The last rebel spawn is at the bottom of a hill which makes camping that one pretty easy, between troops and the at-st.

Compare to phase 2, where the imperials have a decent run to even get to the rebels, who mostly spawn at the top of the hills, and all their spawns can immediately shoot the at-at. Also, the distance to the uplinks is a lot higher, which makes it harder for imperials to interrupt. There are more power-ups around as well, giving more chances for the toys that can really put some hurt down on the at-at.

I've had games where the rebels got like 8+ y-wings phase 1 and did maybe 10% damage to it.

Sullest/Hoth are much less extreme but still phase 2 on both those maps give nice advantages to the rebels (mainly a-wings and more permanent gun placements, far back spawns). It is a risk, but in phase 1 on both maps the rebels have less firepower and easier spawns for the imperials to handle.

A big issue with this on Hoth at least is that if the rebels focus and destroy the closer ATAT in phase 1 it makes phase 2 significantly easier for them. On Sullust at least the walkers are in a line so losing one isn't as dramatic of a loss

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

They honestly just need to make the hitbox on the a wing slightly bigger. Even if it's going at slow speed if it's flying directly at you in an atst your shots still miss 80% of the time because it's such a tiny target

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It feels like there's very few things that reward skilled play in Battlefront. It's a very casual shooter. The fact that DICE isn't balancing any of the more egregious issues like A-Wings or the DL-44 is pretty strange to me. Of course, I've never actually played a DICE game before.

It still feels like there's too many ways to die instantly. The fact that powerups are just randomly strewn around the map and yet are the coolest parts of the matches is annoying, too - it sure is great watching a player grab a fighter and ram it into the ground. Would it be that hard to have the random powerups and something more like, I don't know, CoDs killstreak stuff?

On one hand, it's sad that the game is dying so soon after release because it has a lot of potential. On the other, it absolutely needs more content and some more balancing.

Having the stuff be killstreaks is completely antithetical to the core design of the game, which is allowing anyone and everyone equal access to the game and all the cool stuff.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The game doesn't have a ton of depth to it. It does this in order to be more accessible to everyone who can jump right in and have fun with it. EA even admits this fact

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Siets posted:

We can go back and forth on this all day. The reality is I don't think you guys understand what you are saying when you accuse the game of a lack of depth. This is evidenced by the fact that you just say "it doesn't have depth" and seem completely incapable of describing what you are saying.

What makes a shooter "deep" versus "not deep"? Genuinely curious.

No gun customization, small rotation of maps for each game mode, almost exclusively multiplayer, small variety of vehicles, whatever else you want to put here. It's not like this is a contentious issue for everyone else; here's the CFO of EA explicitly stating the game doesnt have as much depth as some people might've wanted.

Blake Jorgensen posted:

"So, an 8-year-old could play with his father on the couch, as well as a teenager or 20-year-old could play the game and enjoy it. It is more accessible. And for the hardcore, it may not have the depth that they wanted in the game."

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I guess that's to try and stop the rampant boba sniping that goes on?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

For real though the speeder bikes on Endor prove that a vehicle doesn't have to be good or effective for it to be in this game. Give us our loving tauntauns

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Siets posted:

So lets assume we all take up the Utnayan banner and relentlessly boycott EA releases. Is there an actual chance that EA dumps the Star Wars exclusivity contract if sales are bad enough, thereby allowing new developers to take up the mantle? I will admit that I don't know much about the business side of the games industry.

Would EA ever agree to sell the Star Wars license now that we are about to experience a franchise being milked like nothing ever has before? Definitely not. Even in the impossible scenario where they choose to sell it, the only publishers with pockets deep enough to buy it would be Activision and maybe Take-Two. So pick your poison

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the fact that vader is #5 most popular hero out of 6 is shameful

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Don't forget that whatever percentage of walkers get towed is -14% right off the bat from Endor

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

please stop replying to utnayan

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e; wrong thread

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The training missions are pretty fun actually. The snowspeeder one is practically a (very short) Rogue Squadron level

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtD_Q3PRtg

Do they even test this poo poo before they release it?

lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

when you think about it, Walker Assault is the most balanced mode ever made. Everyone ends up with a 50% win rate

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lando or bust

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Other pro tip for dogfighting: if you're trying to shake someone who's tailing you pretty close, cut your speed and turn hard diagonally up and to the right or left. It makes it harder for your opponent to track you by radar since you're gaining altitude while circling back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

As a skylord the air respawn changes are insanely good

• Locked thread