Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's a breath of fresh air, in general, especially once you learn all of the editing shortcuts. There's a lot of nice little things, like intelligently autocompleting variable names that you're declaring by guessing what you'd call it.

The debugger isn't so good, and the static analysis tools aren't as great as eclipse provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

Java devs: how do you feel about intellij idea? I'm working with Spring Tool Suite at work (Spring-focused eclipse distro) and I'm interested in seeing what idea has to offer, but I'm having issues finding out how to do all the stuff I'm used to doing in eclipse and I want to know if it's worth it or not.

It's my go to IDE for Java/Android. I've done a small Spring API with it as well and was super painless to get up and running.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ChickenWing posted:

Java devs: how do you feel about intellij idea? I'm working with Spring Tool Suite at work (Spring-focused eclipse distro) and I'm interested in seeing what idea has to offer, but I'm having issues finding out how to do all the stuff I'm used to doing in eclipse and I want to know if it's worth it or not.
It's fantastic, better, faster, more stable and more intelligent than Eclipse. IDE choice is a strong matter of preference of course, but in my current team where half the people use Eclipse and half use Idea, the Eclipse people had heck of a time importing a slightly more complex Maven project because it can only understand a single classpath per project or something. So that's one practical one-up.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

ChickenWing posted:

I used to think that programming in Java was a chore, but after switching to intellij, I actually like Java.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

ChickenWing posted:

IntelliJ is brilliant and I will fight with anyone speaking to the contrary. Coming from the world of Eclipse it's so much faster and less cumbersome, and it seems to integrate better when I've got custom gradel files. I can say, "Run this gradle file and attach the debugger" and it works.

It's not perfect. Their update system is stuck in an older era and loving with language levels is a pain in the rear end (particularly for multi-project builds). All the same, I swear by it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I cannot imagine that any update system is worse than the Eclipse one.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Okay cool. Every time I've tried to use it I've had issues deploying to servers in the same manner I would with the eclipse TC servers, but I'm now somewhat inspired to get over it. New spare time project :woop:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Volmarias posted:

TDWTF is littered with examples of terrible developers looking for a row in a table by doing SELECT * and then iterating over the results. Even if the database responded instantaneously, it's still an O(n) vs O(1) operation. As your data sizes get larger and larger, having a grasp on the complexity of your queries and your critical sections can have outsized results.

I realize this was posted a month ago, but it was just the previous page, so going to respond anyways!

My job is working as part of a team that does customization and fixes for third party software that my company decided to move to as their main platform for their business. The third party software is (in theory) a complete black box, with us not having access to the source code(officially). One thing that has been a problem since the software was implemented here was that it is very very slow. One of my first tasks as part of the team was supposed to be fixing performance issues on some data retrieval that is both used in the app and there is also a web service that calls it. I wasn't having much luck, so I was a bad boy and decompiled the code to see what was actually going on.

This is how the data retrieval was structured:
Step 1) Pull in keys for every entry in the table
Step 2) Iterate through all the keys and pull in the details
Step 3) Finally filter out the results we don't want

This made me want to go jump off the building's roof because of the sheer stupidity. There is 0 chance you would ever want everything in that table, so why they weren't using 1 query to pull in the entire filtered data set is beyond me. Luckily they have their entire code base with the functions being virtual so that their developers can do customizations for customers.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
How many of you have to log your time on JIRA or something similar? Where I work, everybody is expected to log all working hours on the tasks they work on, and I'm wondering how common it is.

I feel like nobody at my office actually honestly works for 8 hours every day, but if you don't log all the hours, you get angry e-mails from management. I definitely have some days that are less productive than others, so sometimes I end up logging 2 hours on a task that really probably only should have taken 30 minutes. I'm starting to feel really guilty about this, and I keep thinking that somebody will question me about it and I'll get fired, but in reality, my team seems to be really happy with my work. Am I an rear end in a top hat for sometimes stretching the time I log?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Illegal Move posted:

How many of you have to log your time on JIRA or something similar? Where I work, everybody is expected to log all working hours on the tasks they work on, and I'm wondering how common it is.

I feel like nobody at my office actually honestly works for 8 hours every day, but if you don't log all the hours, you get angry e-mails from management. I definitely have some days that are less productive than others, so sometimes I end up logging 2 hours on a task that really probably only should have taken 30 minutes. I'm starting to feel really guilty about this, and I keep thinking that somebody will question me about it and I'll get fired, but in reality, my team seems to be really happy with my work. Am I an rear end in a top hat for sometimes stretching the time I log?

My current workplace uses a time tracking thing, but I only work on one project so I just put 8 hours in to the project each day, very easy.

My last workplace though had a time tracking thing (two actually, for some dumb reason) and had you working on multiple things, and wanted you to make sure to log time in the projects each day. There was also never quite enough work to do for the whole day. What everyone ended up doing was just inflating the time they worked on things or finding projects with lots of slack to just throw time in. No one seemed to care or check that the time made that much sense. Just keep making the time work even if it's not fully accurate and don't worry until someone makes you worry about it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

piratepilates posted:

My current workplace uses a time tracking thing, but I only work on one project so I just put 8 hours in to the project each day, very easy.

My last workplace though had a time tracking thing (two actually, for some dumb reason) and had you working on multiple things, and wanted you to make sure to log time in the projects each day. There was also never quite enough work to do for the whole day. What everyone ended up doing was just inflating the time they worked on things or finding projects with lots of slack to just throw time in. No one seemed to care or check that the time made that much sense. Just keep making the time work even if it's not fully accurate and don't worry until someone makes you worry about it.

My company uses spreadsheets for time tracking, despite time tracking actually being important and not bullshit micromanagement given that we're consultants and we charge people money based on these timesheets.

It's a small company problem -- spreadsheets get the job done well enough despite being moderately inconvenient for us, so moving to a better system just ends up low on the priority list and never gets implemented. I think we've finally bitched enough that the bosses are investigating using a real time tracking system.

At one place I had to do a timesheet for no reason at all in 15 minute increments. "Filling out timesheet" was a substantial amount of the entries on the timesheet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ithaqua posted:

My company uses spreadsheets for time tracking, despite time tracking actually being important and not bullshit micromanagement given that we're consultants and we charge people money based on these timesheets.
:ssh: both places I've worked for are consultancies that bill the client. At least with my new place there's no real issue since people are only working on one or two project at a time and are working on it all day so it's not hard to accurately log the time. That last place, not so much.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
My current company does not do any kind of time tracking, even just taking rough metrics of our sprint velocity. I feel like this is going to bite us eventually but for now it's nice just getting things done and moving forward with our products without everything being tied to time.

My last company (my last boss, honestly) required I keep track of hours worked on every project, in an excel spreadsheet emailed weekly. He absolutely would not accept a total of 8 hours worked on projects in any given day, because people take breaks and use the toilet and otherwise are never head-down writing code for 8 hours in a given day.

The whole thing was a trap. He was looking for a reason to not give me a raise next time I asked for one, and what could be better than written evidence. Sounds paranoid, I know, but it wasn't the first time he pulled garbage like that. The whole thing was a waste of effort since I was already 90% out the door and quit soon after.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
We keep track of hours in that lovely jira plugin so we have documentation when we apply for a government-supplied grant for 'technical innovation'. I'm just really happy it's not used to coerce employees to do more for less. :geno:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My first job we were just supposed to log what project we spent what hours on, but since for the most part we worked on a single project we just logged all our hours into that project whether we actively worked that many hours or not.

My second job we were supposed to log what time we spent on what task in what project in 2-3 different locations. This was probably because we were a government contractor.

My current job we don't log time anywhere. Some people have suggested it, but luckily IT's leadership has passed on implementing it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I had an ex at Raytheon on a navy contract. 6 minute increments on the time sheet. (1/10th hour obviously). That was a bunch of bullshit. They also worked 3 shifts which is why she was there since second shift was her standard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Like everyone else said, don't feel bad about putting down 4 hours each for the two tasks you completed in the day. Time tracking can be an absolutely great tool to help measure velocity and see how much time is actually being spent in certain areas, but don't take it too literally, and don't forget that without taking breaks your performance will suffer.

Illegal Move posted:

I'm starting to feel really guilty about this, and I keep thinking that somebody will question me about it and I'll get fired

I guarantee that this will not happen because

quote:

but in reality, my team seems to be really happy with my work.

That's the important part. You're being way more productive than you think.

Also, Imposter Syndrome is a very real thing in our field. Relax, you're actually that good.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 7, 2016

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We tracked our time for a while. Nobody could get a straight answer on whether everything was supposed to add up to eight hours or not, whether we were supposed to hit pause when taking our ten-minute breaks, what we were supposed to do if somebody interrupted with a question, etc. Some developers admitted they didn't track in real-time, but instead filled everything in at the end of the week.

Then we mysteriously dropped it and it hasn't come up again.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Illegal Move posted:

We have custom timesheet web application which is complex enough that filling out a timesheet usually warrants a separate entry on it. Work is logged at 30-minute precision for a specific task on a specific project with a specific modifier (overtime, being on standby etc). Vacations and flextime also have their separate entries. Time entry comments can show up on customers' invoices and data from the application gets sent directly into payroll, so middle management routinely sends reminders to fill them out before specific deadlines (usually end of the month).

Illegal Move posted:

As always, it depends. Some project managers stress about everything, especially if the contract was a result of very tense negotiations with the client. But in general, people understand that everyone has good days and bad days, and will pad cost/time estimates accordingly. My personal issue is that either my personal estimates don't include that leeway or aren't directly applicable to other people. So when I err on those estimates to the side of caution, there can be pushback from sales who want to present as low estimates as possible to the customer. And once the project goes over those trimmed estimates, they're off the hook and already working on other sales cases.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
We record time spent on tasks. Luckily our management is reasonably pragmatic so tbe target is 6 hours of time recorded per 8 hour day.

Time is actually tracked in Microsoft Dynamics CRM. It... works, I suppose, and the higher-ups love running their reports through it. It's not really a tool designed for managing a scrum-ish process flow, and is a constant source of minor annoyances for everyone. But hey, it's already installed and mostly works, so why change?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Luckily on my current contract, I am billed 40 hours by default, and they only care about whether I'm going to be out in PTO so they can adjust their cost projections for the month.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

We log work to specific jira tasks, but as far as I know nobody really cares about it so long as you don't go too wildly over the estimate without an excuse

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just want to point out that Agilefall is a really awkward system because it doesn't roll off the tongue. If you switch to Scrummerfall, things go much more smoothly.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

baquerd posted:

Just want to point out that Agilefall is a really awkward system because it doesn't roll off the tongue. If you switch to Scrummerfall, things go much more smoothly.

Agile and Scrum are different things, though! You have to make sure you choose the bad process that works right for you. :v:

I like "waterscrum", personally.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've always preferred calling it the Avalanche model.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Waterfail, every time.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think I effectively just killed the goddamn title of SCRUMMASTER from our team.

Good riddance.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ithaqua posted:

Agile and Scrum are different things, though! You have to make sure you choose the bad process that works right for you. :v:

Does Agile actually have any meaning any more? I thought it was mainly Scrum vs Kanban?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Waterfall 2006 is generally superior to Agile anyways.

http://www.waterfall2006.com/

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Anybody know which issue caused this error message?" he asked, having already looked up who did it.

*time passes*

"It looks like it was commit number a1b2c3. Anybody remember where that came from?" he asked, despite the Blame command already telling him.

*time passes*

"Hey Team X, fix your poo poo!" he wished he could say.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CPColin posted:

"Anybody know which issue caused this error message?" he asked, having already looked up who did it.

*time passes*

"It looks like it was commit number a1b2c3. Anybody remember where that came from?" he asked, despite the Blame command already telling him.

*time passes*

"Hey Team X, fix your poo poo!" he wished he could say.

I hate places where you can't point out the person who actually broke something and tell them to fix their poo poo. At a minimum you should be able to talk directly to the person and tell them that they broke X and need to fix it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mean, I probably could, but I'd start feeling like a bully pretty quickly. The Socratic approach definitely isn't working very well, so I'll have to shift gears soon.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Doh004 posted:

I think I effectively just killed the goddamn title of SCRUMMASTER from our team.

Good riddance.

One of our team members already managed to completely devalue that title because he insisted the person using it was a pretender attempting to take away from his title, Scrum Lord

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

baquerd posted:

Waterfall 2006 is generally superior to Agile anyways.

http://www.waterfall2006.com/
thanks for posting this

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

thanks for posting this

Yeah, hadn't seen it before either. The keynote speech "Dead Fish Can't Swim But They Can Float Down a Waterfall" made me lol

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

CPColin posted:

I mean, I probably could, but I'd start feeling like a bully pretty quickly. The Socratic approach definitely isn't working very well, so I'll have to shift gears soon.

Can you not send a polite email to the individual responsible? That's what I do, and what I'd like others to do when its my fault. It also gives you a good reason to escalate if they don't respond in a reasonable time frame.

Or you could do what one guy does and send an email to the "everyone" group and publicly cc person whose fault it is (don't do this).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ChickenWing posted:

We log work to specific jira tasks, but as far as I know nobody really cares about it so long as you don't go too wildly over the estimate without an excuse
The entire point of estimation in Agile, and people don't stress this enough, is that it forces developers to think about the time their dumb scope-creep idea actually takes before they go ahead and just do it

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cuntpunch posted:

One of our team members already managed to completely devalue that title because he insisted the person using it was a pretender attempting to take away from his title, Scrum Lord

Sounds like something from Star Wars.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

The entire point of estimation in Agile, and people don't stress this enough, is that it forces developers to think about the time their dumb scope-creep idea actually takes before they go ahead and just do it

Yeah, the idea is that if you don't know enough about it to estimate it, you don't know enough about it to build it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of the new projects I'm on has everyone estimate their tickets hour-by-hour during each team's sub-sprint planning. Neither me nor the other developer I'm pairing with have any loving clue how to do this or why, so we just plan the sum total of the tickets' hours to be (2 weeks/sprint * 40 hrs/week * 2 people per ticket) = 160hrs. Ostensibly, the upper management sprint leaders want to see burndown charts as close to the model as possible, and have been blowing their stack up until now over the charts looking like square waves, so everyone just adjusts the hours taken every afternoon by some arbitrary degree.

The good thing is that nothing really happens aside from upper management getting mad and being ineffectual, so it doesn't matter outside of the numbers affecting your bonuses, performance reviews, and continued employment, but that'll never be a problem because the industry and company is robust and will survive forever hahaha *layoffs* :yikes:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 8, 2016