Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

tldr; you use slack wrong

can i get the expanded edition of this post? please don't say "use threads" because the slack thread interface is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You won't miss anything if you take a day off because you just leave your stuff unread if you don't check it during your off day.

If I get a non-time sensitive request in a busy channel I just click it and say "remind me next week" or whatever so I can respond then.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Carbon dioxide posted:

You won't miss anything if you take a day off because you just leave your stuff unread if you don't check it during your off day.

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/703383420286578688?lang=en

For requests it usually comes as a DM. Like we don't use email at all so if I want to ask someone something but not interrupt what they're doing I don't really have any options. All communication is synchronous on Slack. If someone asks me something on a DM and I don't get back to them right away it can seem like I'm ignoring them or maybe that I'm not at my computer at all.

And if i missed a convo in a channel that I want to weigh in on my options are either start a thread (again, garbage interface and likely not even get seen) or respond in that channel, in the middle of whatever the current topic of conversation is and say "regarding that thing you were talking about before, blah blah blah"

I think Slack is probably great for people whose job it is to talk to people all day but for me it's a total nuisance.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

prom candy posted:

For requests it usually comes as a DM. Like we don't use email at all so if I want to ask someone something but not interrupt what they're doing I don't really have any options. All communication is synchronous on Slack. If someone asks me something on a DM and I don't get back to them right away it can seem like I'm ignoring them or maybe that I'm not at my computer at all.

And if i missed a convo in a channel that I want to weigh in on my options are either start a thread (again, garbage interface and likely not even get seen) or respond in that channel, in the middle of whatever the current topic of conversation is and say "regarding that thing you were talking about before, blah blah blah"

I think Slack is probably great for people whose job it is to talk to people all day but for me it's a total nuisance.

ngl, Slack's synchronous flow does suck, but 'it seems like I'm ignoring them cos I don't respond immediately' sounds like your co-workers also suck. Not responding immediately to a DM is the same as not responding immediately to an email, just because it's Slack doesn't mean you'll get a response faster.

I have the same dislikes as you about Slack, but that's also because due to those dislikes, I haven't felt motivated to invest any time into understanding how to use it more effectively. You prompted me to open up Slack today on a public holiday, and I discovered the 'Save' button, which could help you keep track of messages that you need to follow up on later.
It also sounds like your org needs more channels for specific topics of conversation. And if you do have a couple of large monolithic channels with everyone joining in, and you want to chip in later, just quote the message you want to respond to (prefix with '>') and add it in to the main convo which will be better at steering the conversation back to the earlier topic rather than spinning off a thread which everyone including you will lose sight of immediately.

But for all its faults, it's still better than using email for everything.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
At one company I was at for a year they used Flowdock which had a really great conversation threading interface that I’m sad never made its way into any of the more mainstream offerings I’ve used since.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

prom candy posted:

Just treat slack a bit more like in-person conversations that happen to have a log attached.

If you want to ask someone something: start a DM with "hey, non-urgent question: can you help me with X?" just like you'd start an in-person conversation on the subject.

If you're concentrating and don't want people to think you're offline: set a status that says so and disable notifications. If it's super urgent they can punch through.

If you need to resurrect a thread: use the "send to channel" checkbox.

If you're worried about interrupting the sanctity of the current conversation in a channel: don't. Start a thread if you need to.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ChickenWing posted:

okay how's this work because I'm very strongly of the "I don't want corporate IT's grubby paws in my device" persuasion but I've heard peripherally of this option and how it's basically a second partition?

From what I can tell it's all partitioned. Your corp it cannot view or control anything in your personal phone. It works pretty well and I like it better than any previous solution.

Idk if there's insidious configuration or work around that compromises that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

prom candy posted:

please don't say "use threads" because the slack thread interface is awful.

seconded, gently caress threads

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

itt: gently caress threads :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

all posts are bad posts

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
at least in a single-threaded system you get to see the bad posts to confirm your prejudice

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Who is sending requests in chat tools? Make a ticket like everyone else scrub, otherwise I may not respond.

This is sort of tongue-in-cheek, but also could be true depending on my availability. If someone asks me to do something that is a bigger ask than a few minutes while waiting for things to build/load/etc, then I usually ask they email me or use a ticket task because otherwise I may not remember. Also, I want a record of bigger requests which is better than a chat history that exists for who knows how long.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ChickenWing posted:

all posts are bad posts

all chats are beautiful

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

downout posted:

Who is sending requests in chat tools? Make a ticket like everyone else scrub, otherwise I may not respond.

If I could get everyone to send requests directly in Slack instead of saying "Hey, are you there?" and waiting for a response first I'd consider it a win. (Mostly I have trained everyone who isn't management not to do this, but fuuuuuuck.)

beuges posted:

I have the same dislikes as you about Slack, but that's also because due to those dislikes, I haven't felt motivated to invest any time into understanding how to use it more effectively.

I have looked into it quite a bit, unfortunately, and the little features they keep adding to star/save messages can't save their awful threading.

Some of it is administrative, though. Like, if you don't set up good groups so that people can easily tag @devservices instead of trying to remember everyone who might care when starting a thread then their crappy threading is even worse.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 11, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wallet posted:

If I could get everyone to send requests directly in Slack instead of saying "Hey, are you there?" and waiting for a response first I'd consider it a win. (Mostly I have trained everyone who isn't management not to do this, but fuuuuuuck.)

"Hey, can I ask you a quick question?"

(Always asked in a PM/DM, as a question, without fail.)

This drives me nuts because if you just asked the question in the first place we'd be that much closer to an answer already...

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I had https://www.nohello.com as my status message in Teams for a while but it had no effect and felt kind of passive aggressive so I dropped it.

Anyway chat vs email preferences are pretty subjective and probably not worth debating, personally I prefer chat in almost all instances. Current job uses MS Teams which is mostly fine, I miss Slack a bit because it's way easier to navigate using just the keyboard. With Teams I keep having to reach for the mouse and I don't like it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'd be happier if every PM from my coworkers didn't always start with:

quote:

Colin,
Although I like picturing them saying it in exasperation sometimes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

beuges posted:

Hi Prom Candy

Noted.

Regards,
beuges
<1MB signature image that's now been added to the email for the 10th time>
Please be kind to the environment and think before you print this email

Disclaimer: this email is intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and you are self. Unlawful possession of this email or the contents therein could result in death by immolation. If you are unable to read this email or disclaimer please send an email to lol@urbutt and you will receive another email with this disclaimer in it.

can you please remove me from this email

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

beuges posted:

Hi Prom Candy

Noted.

Regards,
beuges

Disclaimer: this email is intended only for the addressed recipient. If you have received this email in error, please destroy it and you are self. Unlawful possession of this email or the contents therein could result in death by immolation. If you are unable to read this email or disclaimer please send an email to lol@urbutt and you will receive another email with this disclaimer in it.

unsubscribe me from this list

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Volmarias posted:

beuges posted:

Hi Prom Candy

Noted.

Regards,
beuges

unsubscribe me from this list

Can everyone please stop hitting reply-all when unsubscribing? Thanks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Paolomania posted:

Can everyone please stop hitting reply-all when unsubscribing? Thanks.

Why am I still on this email??? please take me off!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Woebin posted:

I had https://www.nohello.com as my status message in Teams for a while but it had no effect and felt kind of passive aggressive so I dropped it.

I want a Slack plugin or something that just sets my status to "In a meeting" if my IDE is open. Someone must have already created this.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

I want a Slack plugin or something that just sets my status to "In a meeting" if my IDE is open. Someone must have already created this.

That's a good idea.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Just leave that as your status. Place a rubber duck on your desk to make it technically true.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Wallet posted:

Is your IDE not always open on one screen?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Twist (https://twist.com/) seems like kind of a cool idea (basically: what if slack but threads were good/mandatory) but I don't know if it's really gained any steam

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

prom candy posted:

Twist (https://twist.com/) seems like kind of a cool idea (basically: what if slack but threads were good/mandatory) but I don't know if it's really gained any steam

Zulip (https://zulipchat.com/) does topics within streams (basically channels) and it seems really nice, since it keeps messages with the same topic together, and since you cannot have messages without topics. It's also open source and doesn't think things like proper authentication only belong in the super-duper-enterprise-plus-plus-tier.

I would have really liked it. But we use Slack like all the cool kids. :sigh:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

lifg posted:

Is your IDE not always open on one screen?

Your point? :v:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Wallet posted:

We use clockwise which uses your calendar to set your status. It also has a built in "focus-time" function which is nice.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

prom candy posted:

I like the look of this. I maintain that threads are trash by default but this seems to really lean towards "what if email, but faster-paced" side of things. Looks like what Teams *should* be

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ChickenWing posted:

I like the look of this. I maintain that threads are trash by default but this seems to really lean towards "what if email, but faster-paced" side of things. Looks like what Teams *should* be

Now if you want to talk about an implementation of chat threads that's vomit inducing... Teams.

Sucks because I liked everything else about it. It was super great for SharePoint document sharing when I was using it at my old job. SharePoint actually got used by more than like 2 of the manager-type guys once we started using Teams.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

Now if you want to talk about an implementation of chat threads that's vomit inducing... Teams.

I had high hopes for Teams but every day they are crushed just a little more

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ChickenWing posted:

I had high hopes for Teams but every day they are crushed just a little more

Sorry, I tried to reply to your comment in this thread but created a new thread instead, further muddling the discussion on this topic.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah, faster email with the option to fallback on general chat via built-in DM would be nice. I'm sure it has its own issues once you get into it though.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I've found the problem with threaded conversations is that any thread with more than one person will invariably have at least one person that does not know how threaded conversations work and refuses to learn, so the entire thing falls apart.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did you guys see that 5OT hockey game last night?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MisterZimbu posted:

I've found the problem with threaded conversations is that any thread with more than one person will invariably have at least one person that does not know how threaded conversations work and refuses to learn, so the entire thing falls apart.

This is me, joining Slack via a Pidgin plugin that can't participate in threading :cool:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

CPColin posted:

This is me, joining Slack via a Pidgin plugin that can't participate in threading :cool:

:corsair::respek::corsair:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's so special about this boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Slack threads are fine and after the initial adjustment period of having a guy yell USE THREADS at us a lot I have no problem with them.