Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What a doozy of a badwrong opinion. Code reviews are a great tool to improve code quality and team knowledge of the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Queen Victorian posted:

And none of this weirdness and badness was caught in a timely manner and corrected because this guy has a strange habit of only doing a single commit/push when his thing is complete.

How old is this guy? He'll stop doing this when he loses a week's worth of work because he didn't want anyone to look at his precious half-finished opus when he drops his laptop into the street but something tells me he hasn't been around long enough to see that actually happen to someone.

Good for you getting out. Place sounds incredibly toxic.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Can you take me off this chain? I left that work unit 6 months ago but somehow I'm still in this group. Thanks in advance.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I do the opposite and write inscrutable code that is heavily commented

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

imo that's a crazy amount to ask of an interviewee. what that tells me is they don't have anyone on their interview panel who can see through bullshitters who say they have done those things.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

joebuddah posted:

I'm hoping to get some insight from more Sr devs.

For the past year I've been stuck in limb
I have been working on a Tableau style project for our location. Since then I've built a front end for another location that will feed into the tableau project.

However since this is still "experimental" I haven't been given new title or pay. When I ask about it, they I get the run-around. Because they don't know if this project will be permanent.
How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait and see?

They will never promote you. This is how you know.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

good jovi posted:

How do people work linters into their team’s flow? Ideally (to me) everyone would just use a real editor that could reliably run on-save hooks, but apparently this is too much to ask... Simply marking a PR as failing unless the code matches linted output feels a little petty, but actually committing linted code and pushing from CI feels a little inflexible.

We use formatters with configurations that can be read by our IDEs with format on save. There's a build command you can run locally that does the same thing as our build pipeline, to run all the tests and whatnot. If you forget to run the code format step the pipeline will run it and commit the changes for you. Worst case you just have to do a pull afterward.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Careful with that -D - I caused a coworker to lose work by cleaning up stale branches on remote that they had committed but unpushed work in locally. We all learned a lesson that day.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The early return logic could be clearer (maybe with good variable names?) but the root of the suggestion is good. Don't do more work than you need to when it is trivial to break out the loop or whatever. Shame there's no list.find or list.exists in whatever language you're using, that's exactly what you need.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

We had a process for docs like this at a previous job of mine that was actually very useful. The team was around a dozen people and we had 2 core applications that we maintained, together forming the company's money tree.

Since every new feature went into one of these two codebases and everyone worked on them, having context for why changes were being made was super important. To that end, for big features (not literally every change), we'd get everyone in a room, engineers and product, and an engineer who was assigned to would walk through their approach to implementing the feature - what sections of the code will be updated and how, any new database support needed for the feature, etc. These meetings might sound awful but they were extremely useful for having everyone understand the work that was taking place and correcting any misunderstanding or miscommunications before engineering started actually implementing anything.

There would almost always be something the engineer didn't account for, and it could come from the product side or the engineering side. It slowed us down somewhat, but we didn't make mistakes in our production environment (mistakes in prod for us cost us a boatload of money, so "testing in prod" was verboten). It also has the added benefit of being a great learning time for newer and less experienced engineers to see code architecture work done in real time and explaining different parts of the system in a practical setting.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Xguard86 posted:

PM should ask for some kind of outcome and leave it to the devs to figure out. If the PM thinks the engineering team's implementation won't fit their outcome they need to give more context or communicate the future better.

This. If a PM is coming to you asking for a specific technical implementation, something is very wrong. Ask them what they actually want to accomplish and trust your devs to either do it or to explain why doing it is difficult or expensive.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Trapick posted:

I have no comment on the product, but don't reach out to DataDog/sign up for a trial/whatever unless you want to keep hearing from them multiple times a week. I get calls or emails twice a week because one time I was like "sure I'll look at a demo".

Any time I get a sales call like that I tell them the number they dialed is my personal number and I don't take work calls on it. Never had a call back after telling them that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

nullfunction posted:

All of the responses are 200 OK with an error message in the JSON payload, right?

I see you have heard the gospel of graphql

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A design with no regard for accessibility is not a complete design. If he's really a Professional Designer he should account for these things.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

prom candy posted:

Yeah honestly op just take this exchange to whoever is in charge of firing dumb motherfuckers and let them do their thing.

This. This guy has missed the fundamental point that software development is a collaborative exercise. He's insisting on being right when he should be trying to understand the perspective of somebody who hasn't read the ticket he picked up and is only seeing the code (e.g. himself, 6 months from now).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I prefer the git CLI, but I'm also the weirdo doing a bunch of other poo poo on the command line. I chalk it up to preference

smackfu posted:

I don’t care how you use git, but I constantly run into people who:
* don’t know how to fix a typo in a commit message if it’s not the most recent one
* end up with random files in their commits and they don’t know who added them
* have no sense of how to partially revert a commit

All of which are medium complexity things they come up regularly.

Send them this: the git fuckup CYOA

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have no idea if it's any good these days, but I used to use Synergy to use one set of inputs across multiple computers.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pagination is an MVP feature in my mind, alongside whatever you use for observability. Exposing a "get literally everything" access mechanism is just asking for trouble.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bongo Bill posted:

I would simply write good code instead of bad.

This only works if there was such a thing. The truth is all code is bad.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

it's just so insane and hard to work with.

But enough about Go

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

epswing posted:

StumblyWumbly posted:

̵T̴e̴s̷t̸i̴n̴g̷ ̷s̵i̷m̶p̶l̵e̴ functions ̷i̴s̶ ̷m̴a̸i̴n̵l̶y̷ ̴g̸o̸o̴d̴ ̴f̷o̶r̴ ̵c̴h̶e̸c̸k̵i̷n̶g̴ ̵s̴i̴t̶u̴a̶t̵i̶o̶n̵s̷ ̴t̸h̵a̴t̴ ̶t̴h̴e̴ ̸d̴e̶v̵ ̷d̴i̴d̷n̶'̵t̷ ̶c̵o̵n̵s̷i̷d̶e̵r̷,̵ ̸l̴i̷k̴e̸ ̴"̴w̴h̵a̴t̴ ̵i̵f̸ ̶t̸h̸e̸ input ̷i̵s̸ ̵0̷"̶

̸̭́F̸͔̅i̸͙̓x̸̞͌é̶̲d̸͙̽.̸͎̏

̸̷̶̶̭́F̸̸̸̷̴͔̅i̶̸̶̷̶͙̓x̵̸̶̷̸̞͌é̸̶̵̸̴̲d̷̸̸̶̴͙̽.̶̸̶̶̶͎̏

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Notepad++ "new 1," "new 2," "new 3," etc. unsaved files

I also work this way.

On my linux machine it's sublime text, but same idea.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Am I the odd one out for enjoying PRs? I find they're one of the best places to spend time if your goal is increasing code quality.

downout posted:

One of our teams has a bunch of engineers that always ask “please approve this PR!”

Why yes their code reviews are box checking dogshit, why do you ask?

It’s a pretty obvious tell that their entire team culture around code review is terrible.

Culture is a hard thing to change. They misunderstand the point of a PR. The question the reviewer is answering is not "does this do the thing?" - the author asserted that it does the thing when they opened the PR. The question is "can this be made better?" which can almost always be answered with "yes." From there the conversation can be about the relative effort and value of any proposed changes, and by that collaboration you will nearly always walk away with an improved solution. And who knows, somebody might learn something

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

We've been using Backstage TechDocs to collect documentation from GitHub, confluence, and Google docs. Over the years we had things maintained in disparate places and this gets them all in one place, which has been hugely beneficial. Some of our more complex code has a multi-directory docs folder with everything from system architecture diagrams to operations run books.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm immensely jealous of the "ran out of work for the day" crowd, though I don't entirely understand it... There's always something available, even if it's just refactoring, bug fixes, operational improvements, or self-driven learning.

What if you need to write a 10 paragraph decision log for why your changes should be made and a comparative analysis of which data type to use for a database column before you can do any of that

e; the decision log requires a review meeting and signoff from the ivory tower

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mega Comrade posted:

management are control freaks and the idea of trusting development... is just not something they feel comfortable doing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ChickenWing posted:

oof ouch my boneslived experience

MBAs will do anything to not pay down tech debt

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

downout posted:

Every time our executives open their mouth, they expose how ignorant they are about software engineering.

Maybe this is self-evident to everyone, but I just gotta yell it into the void.

Half of our stack is running on an end of life transport layer and nobody cares. Is that better or worse than what you're dealing with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To me it's an equation of time. I only have so many hours in the day and most of them are spent building the product. The product team is designed to spend all of their time focusing on customers. I can't be effective while focusing on customers and product isn't going to be effective focusing on how the solution is built.

I'm not advocating for a "not my job" attitude, I'm advocating for leaning into specialties for higher efficiency.
We're leaning into the opposite of this. The higher-ups all had a training recently and came back raving about the flavorade and now I, as a backend engineer, am being asked to come up with solutions for things like "how do we get more users to register?" instead of things like "how do we improve our (awful) engineering posture?"

Vulture Culture posted:

Most people don't quite grasp the gravity of the situation where product is bottlenecked so badly that engineering teams are asking, "What do I do next?"

Healthy teams quite often have backlogs that are months long and not nearly enough time to do all the work they need to ship high-quality software. Teams having to stop work because of missing requirements means that product has been dysfunctional at keeping the pipeline full of work for at least several months.
We have both a healthy backlog and so little autonomy that we do nothing of value while product spins their wheels for six months trying to think up the next big feature. Don't start anything big because we'll need that capacity for the thing... any day now... any day...

abraham linksys posted:

ive only ever worked places where product managers are literally just Tom from office space. itd be cool to meet one who's good at their job someday
At my first job we had a phenomenal product manager, who knew the application inside and out despite having no technical background. I had no idea how good I had it until I had a bad one.