Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Destroyenator posted:

This may work for some people in some places but as a junior level new hire this won't be possible for you.

Here's how it went down for the one junior-level hire that tried it, which also coincided with an executive at the top encouraging new ideas.

The new hire of about a year got some leeway to try something new by talking with that executive. She was able to try out a pilot project on scrum to demonstrate measurable goals. At the same time, she explained agile practices to devs via silly team building exercises, retrospective format, etc... After the initial project was a success, she got a piece of the training budget for devs PMs, and managers to attend some "Agile day" thing. And then our team adopted Scrum a couple of months later and iteratively improved over the next 6 months into a functional team despite the odds.

Unfortunately all the politics and a few middle managers caused enough stress to drive her out of the company. :smith: But those same managers were rapidly losing what social capital they had left and soon :frogout:

Two teams ran with a Scrum and Kanban work flow respectively, while other teams had various degrees of success. A year after that and the movement to "be Agile" is still popular and the other teams are coming around as well. :unsmith:

Basically what Cuntpunch wrote above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Cuntpunch posted:

Here's a general question that's somewhat an inversion of my previous statement:

How *do* you make Agile work when there are drastic skill discrepancies amongst the development team?

Other than pair programming, as a dev lead I made sure to provide technical details in stories (before the story was groomed or estimated). Not a strict blueprint but a general idea as to how a story should be approached. This helped normalize estimation and made other secs more confident to pick up stories on their own. And then I had "office hours" where I was available. :eng101: This usually reduced my focus to 50-60% though.

On the team I'm on now we are expected to estimate just on the story and hardly review acceptance criteria, in hours, then create sub-tasks on Jira afterward. Seems sort of backwards to me.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Cicero posted:

In my opinion software development is virtually impossible to estimate accurately, because in order to accurately estimate how long it takes to build something you need to have done it before, and if you've built something before in software why aren't you just re-using that code? Hence everything you build tends to be novel, at least to you, otherwise you wouldn't be building it. Not only that, this is probably MORE true the better your other development practices are, because you'll tend to develop in a more generic way that's more amenable to re-use.

It's not always possible to reuse code if you're developing proprietary poo poo for different clients :downs: or if there are some insane little differences that the customer absolutely must have because.

As with point estimates I find hourly estimates are easy if the complexity is known like slamming out a couple of methods and database poo poo. Sure some copy paste, but not the same code.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Having to switch back to hangouts makes me sad. Being able add :eng101: or :eng99: is vital for my work chat experience dammit! :argh:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Cuntpunch posted:

Management reshuffle means the new boss doesn't understand the team dynamics yet. He's got the contractors with him(because he'll spend 8 hours a day with them dealing with their "could you please show me how to write functions? ok great, could you please check that in for me?") and I'm outnumbered for the time being. The fact that we regularly have "oh hey I just blindly updated a nuget package because Nuget packages are 100% safe to update by major versions and wait what do you mean ASP is delivering assembly binding errors....uhhhh sorry I'm busy looking at stuff can you please fix that?" isn't really understood very well yet.

It's a matter of time, since he got kicked off a different project to join ours because he consistently tended to go "two week sprints mean I can deliver to QA at 2PM the day before the sprint ends!", and he's doing the same thing again. But really wants to push the issue with management to argue about how he is doing *all* the work for the project and he thinks that's unfair. Except that everyone pretty much knows he goes "oh I'm working so hard I'm putting in 4x9's!!! ok it's 10AM on a Friday by guys can't OT!" as he rapidly checks in all his work and suddenly there are bug reports within 30 seconds of anybody looking at it :v:

I think it's time to add some branch permissions to the repo. :v:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Clanpot Shake posted:

What's with all the forcing? I don't think I've ever needed to use that flag, and knowing what it does means you better be drat sure you know what you're forcing before doing it.

Stash has an option to squash history when merging PRs if you need a clean way to revert.

We have our setup pretty locked down. No pushing to master (with some select exceptions), PRs require 2 approvals and a green build, history squashed to make revert easy.

I really like that they added the squash feature to PRs in recent versions. It makes git flow easier to swallow since merging from downstream doesn't necessarily pollute history making it easier to follow.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

geeves posted:

I think the killer feature of git was not having branches as different directories in your file system. So literally we would have app/trunk, app/branchA, app/branchB, etc.

It is not at all obvious, but apparently you're supposed to use svn switch. Then you only have trunk, branchA, or branchB checked out, and then svn switch when you want to change trees.

svn co https://path/to/repo/trunk appname
cd appname
svn switch https://path/to/repo/branches/branchA

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
I mean who doesn’t work on a development team of clowns that are constantly farting, screaming and chucking their managers into crushers as soon as the sprint begins?

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

• HTTP verbs lining up with semantics

Thanks. Finally some validation to make my next api use only OPTIONS requests.

Good luck, browsers. :clint:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

code:
sleep `date +%w`

I was thinking +%W, but the schadenfreude comes much quicker and more routinely this way.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
There’s always the rabbit hole of implementing your own CRDT. :v:

Do it. don’t do it

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Some days you're just too real, erowidrecruiter.

https://twitter.com/erowidrecruiter/status/1195170303577448448

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Woebin posted:

we never finish the work we plan in a sprint and we don't even estimate it anyway so the plans are a joke.

This hits so close to home for a client I work with.

That and the client's team lead/manager is so incompetent they literally don't add issues to a sprint/iteration so issues just kind of float out in a nether world. That doesn't matter because they're incompetent at setting up the infrastructure for their new system so nothing makes it passed Q/A as the test engineer literally has nothing to do related to their job. :bang:

I used to care, but now I'm jus there to see how far this poo poo is going to last. As long as I can shadow project manage and deliver to get paid, the client is too terrible to notice anything's wrong.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

MisterZimbu posted:

Just use Azure Devops for a few minutes and you'll be begging to have JIRA back.

This. :bang: It's so bad I'm at the point where I need to write a web extension with an embedded web app in it so I can avoid using the issue / project management UI as much as possible.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Woebin posted:

Back from vacation today and spent four out of six work hours in meetings, very productive. The team also decided in my absence to add more stuff as "user stories" to the board, such as "help other teams" and "prepare for super sprint planning" and perhaps my favorite, "go through the board and clean up". There are also meeting recordings from when I was on vacation, so I'm expected to watch several hours of that I think?

This is all cool and good, definitely very agile. I know this because the very expensive agile coaches they brought in said so.

Seems pretty straightforward to me: Assign yourself the "go through the board and clean up" task and then passive-aggressively delete all the user stories :v:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Harriet Carker posted:

What's a good, collaborative, web-based JS editor? Just something simple I can use to help coach a friend through data structures/algos. I'd like it to be able to actually run the code so we can do some asserts and such as well. I've been using Codeshare, which is good, except it can't actually run code.

It's not necessarily web-based, but VS Code can use Live Share.

You could also run VS Code inside GitPod and share the workspace. I think GitPod requires a GitHub or GitLab repo based on a quickstart template so it would be pretty easy to setup. I'm pretty impressed with GitPod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

prom candy posted:

Does anyone use a remote development environment? Either something like GitHub codespaces or just a hand rolled thing? I was just introduced to the idea today when looking at ways to improve docker performance on MacOS and now I'm super interested. If i wasn't running a bunch of node dev servers and Ruby instances and stuff all the time I could trade my MBP in for an M1 air, or hop over to my windows PC for development.

I mentioned it at some point recently, but GitPod works well. It doesn't need much network capacity, can share workspaces, and it's just Docker so you can run the entire stack locally if you want.