Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Do any of you have any experience working at Capita in the UK? Starting there next week, sort of wondering whats the downlow.

edit: Specifically AMT Sybex, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Today is the start of my new job as a Jr Front End Dev and it's my first time working in a proper development environment. I start in an hour and I'm basically making GBS threads myself.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I got through my first day. It was nice. Very little of it involved anything I'm going to be doing. I did manage to install VSCode, as well as Node and Git.. That's about it. Other than that my day was spent chasing people around for passwords and ID cards and the usual stuff. Everyone was pretty nice, and the laptop I was given is like a little demon in a box. It's all gonna be ok.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

As my first week as a Jr Dev comes to a close I am comforted by the knowledge that everyone, including me, has no idea what the gently caress they're doing. Namaste.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I'm one of 2 people in my office using VSCode and I will DIE before I change.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I've converted someone in the office to VSCode.

The Grand Crusade begins.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Keetron posted:

I use intellij, why should I switch?

I don't use intellij so I'm not really qualified to tell you why you should. All I know is that the plugins are pretty fuckin' great and the soon-to-be released pair programming support is going to be huge.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I use Postman at work and I've only just started using it and I don't know enough about HTTP to call it good or bad.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Our project is behind, significantly behind.

In exchange for keeping our contract open we've made several concessions which aren't really great for us, but we've had to make them to keep the client happy. One of them was bumping up the builds quite a bit, another was increasing the number of client meetings and updates. We thought this would go from an increase of 2 client updates a month to maybe 4, once a week. Not 3 a week. the client is basically living with us now, haunting us. They've hired technically inclined people to come in and make regular project reviews and today they asked something that's basically caused panic/outrage: VSTS access. It's fairly loving cheeky imo.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Custom project for a very large/important client with a deadline that was originally 3 years but has extended to 6. Half the client's fault, half ours. But yeah they're being shoulder-surfing fucks right now and requesting VSTS access is extremely loving lovely of them.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I had a low-key panic attack today about trying to build something and it took me ages to get it done, like a solid 8 hours.

I had an array which called 2 things from an end-point. We put them in the array then we have the ability to remove them and re-add them. The call, remove, and add all obviously come from different end-points. I had 4 buttons, remove and add. So basically I had a combination of YES YES, YES NO, NO YES, NO NO and 4 buttons which modified the values which disappeared and reappeared based on constants I had assigned or whatever. It was something wild like 32 possible combinations of actions I had to build and account for and it drove me to a mental breaking point building it but by about 4pm I did it.

I'm so drained right now.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Is there a COBOL #SLACK?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Today at a company meeting: All future development hires will be from India.

Goodie.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Senior management is fully aware of the absolute dogshit that offshoring has brought about. We're months behind on a major project for a Government client and it's largely in part due to our Indian office literally sitting on their hands and doing loving nothing. I have 3 outstanding issues in my user-stories right now that require back-end fixes for bugs I was assigned like 2 weeks ago. I had to go to my project Manager on Friday and sit down with him and explain why poo poo has been sitting in my VSTS list for loving ages and it looks like I'm not loving doing anything. This is only going to get loving worse.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

PM has decided our datePicker module for the project is dogshit. It is, in fairness. One of the other developers developed a new datepicker module, it's better. Now I get the task of replacing all 149 existing instances of the old datepicker module with the new one.

:toot:

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Keetron posted:

Don't repeat yourself?
This would be a great opportunity to replace them all with a pointer. You are doing that, right?

A lot of them have instance specific logic.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

We got an internal e-mail basically saying all of our development roles (including my job) were being outsourced to India in the new year. They announced this via e-mail, in the most spineless way possible, then basically begged us not to start looking for new jobs until we've all trained our replacements.

edit: The contract for the current major project is a Government Contract. Which stipulates that a certain non-trivial percentage of development must occur in the UK.

Management has not yet told the client what they plan to do.

This will go well.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

They begged you, so I guess it's out the door as quickly as possible?

I've an interview tomorrow.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Volguus posted:

But ... why would they tell you? Incompetence? Or is there something else going on?

The truth is that as a company mine is actually really nice. It's not my company that's forcing this to happen, it's our parent company which is currently undergoing a financial restructuring post-meltdown after Q4. Plus all the seniors are quite buddy buddy and they're all blabber mouths so we sort of half knew this was coming via office scuttlebutt anyway.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

So ughhhh a couple of weeks ago I posted that Corporate had basically told us we were all being outsourced to India in the new year and I said gently caress this and bolted for the door. Today I accepted a new 'Lead Front End Developer' role that's 7k more in a company that's got an absolutely baller corporate culture. I walked into the interview and spent 60 minutes basically IRL shitposting and screaming at the project manager, other lead front end dev, and hiring manager, and having them scream back at me. We didn't even do a tech test they just looked at my Github and said, literally 'Yeah you don't seem retarded, we'll fly one of our guys in from London to teach you React(I'm an Angular 2 developer and don't really know a lot of React at all, and at this point am better with TypeScript than vanilla JS.).', 2 hours later I got the call with the offer. Accepted it immediately. Bye bitches.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

We were very loud, there was a lot of banter, we made a lot of inappropriate jokes, and it was immediately apparent that I was going to fit in with the culture of the office space.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Actually 2 of the 3 were women. There were pride flags all over the office because it was pride this week in Belfast. So v0v sometimes people say rude things off the cuff.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I think it's fairly well established that he's kinda a douche and he's taking a job with a bunch of other douches.

I'm the one taking a job, not him, don't call me a douche I'm really cool irl and online.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure if I started pair programming with a senior of any kind I'd immediately choke and forget how to cast a variable type or what an array is.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Sorry you're right, you're the one I was talking about, but my comment about how you portrayed your new company still stands.

Sounds like you just hate fun tbh.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

So I want a Cloud Platform for my NodeJS/MEAN apps but here's the thing: I'm familiar with Azure, but poo poo's expensive.

I know Linux based solutions tend to be cheaper, but I'm absolutely useless with any kind of Linux-based CLI/SSH or anything like that. Maybe if I can remote into a GUI environment I might be safer, but that's a lot to ask for from a cheap Cloud provider.

Basically I just want to be able to deploy Node apps, either Angular or React, and ideally Express/MongoDB via some sort of control panel or something.

Any ideas?

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 3, 2018

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I'm actually pretty handy with Azure/VSTS from using it at work. I'm fully capable of deploying a working MEAN application to Azure but ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cosmos DB is incredibly expensive.

I actually love Azure, just not wild about my MEAN app nobody is going to use costing like £90 a month because I have to assign a minimum amount of request units to cosmos and it's just sitting there burning money forever.

But I guess if I'm just using it to host a backendless front end app it's probably going to be pretty cheap.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

I found Azure pretty straightforward compared to AWS and it's got the same sort of user interaction logic most Microsoft products have. I found a similar problem with Digital Ocean in that I didn't know what any of their made up terms for poo poo actually meant and I was like welp, guess I'm not using this loving thing.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 3, 2018

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

Pricing also feels impossible to figure out.

This is probably my biggest complaint with Azure, tbh.

You get a bunch of free credit, which you will immediately piss through in a month because the default configuration assumes you want enough resources to run a medium-scale business, not a learning experiment.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Handsome Wife posted:

Are you dead-set on using Cosmos? It is expensive but there are other options for hosted DBs on Azure. The "basic" tier Azure SQL instance is like $5/month, and if you need a document store you could use something like this to get Mongo running on Azure.

Oh no I'm not like IT HAS TO BE COSMOS, I'd prefer MongoDB tbh. I didn't realize you could install it on Azure. Is it just as pricey to run though?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

If you're not working with Ligatures turned on are you even a real developer?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

New Job is ASP.NET with Episerver sitting on top of that. I've been hired as a front end developer to come in and try to shoehorn react or angular on top of THAT and I've no idea how we're going to go about doing that. I mean I can see ways we might but honestly it's pretty silly. There's also no way I'm going to avoid learning ASP.NET which I don't mind too much considering that C# is an easy enough transition after spending 2 years in a typescript / angular environment and the rationalisation that ASP.NET makes makes sense to me.

Still. What the gently caress.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

The Fool posted:

Adding react or angular to ASP.NET shouldn't be a big deal.

Never heard of Episerver before, but just looking at their webpage gives me nightmares.

Except EPISERVER is a CMS that wants control of the DOM

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

You are a hiring manager whose also a dev. You can hire one of these people:

Person 1: Has a strong grasp of theory, understands software design concepts quickly, but spends an above average amount of time on stack because they tend to forget syntax things. As a result their code is sometimes untidy, an not ideally optimized.

Person 2: Is extremely good at syntactical recollection, writes clean and efficient code which compiles nicely most times through repetition, but absolutely can't grasp design structures or really any of the theory outside the 'local scope' of what he's working on.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

CPColin posted:

Hire them both and make them sit together!

Good answer

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Week 4 of my new role as Front End Lead and let me tell you about my sadness.

We have 3 front end developers. Me, one other senior, and a Jr. We need another 3, at minimum. The other senior's nose is bent out of shape because I've come on board and taken over, and has basically mentally checked out. He's buried himself in a project and won't move. There are over 150 outstanding front end issues of varying complexity and severity spread across 5 projects. I've been here a month and I still don't fully understand how our horrible loving tech stack works. (ASP.NET MVC + EPISERVER) We have 2 projects which are about to start and one "starter template" which is being built which all projects thereafter will use. Additionally we've taken on stewardship of a legacy webforms project and today I had one of the architects from the project on a call telling me we needed to change a section of the front end to javascript because, and I quote, "They don't like the way the screen reloads when you click a link. Modern websites don't do that anymore so just do some javascript stuff in jQuery to sort it out." He wants an entire corner of their site rebuilt with SPA-like functionality but doesn't want us to use Angular or React because" they're too big and too much work. This shouldn't really take more than 5 days."

Jesus take the loving wheel.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Let me tell you about my new job.

I started it 3 weeks ago, and I have done 1, one [1]. Ticket.

The onboarding process was 2 weeks long. For 6 hours a day, of meetings. That was 10 solid days of meetings, with long-winded powerpoint-based introductions to every single department and the nitty gritty details of what they do.

Those two weeks end, and I finally get to actually spend more time with my team, and the bullshit meeting culture continues. We have chapter meetings once a week, retro once a week, refinements once a week, all 3 of those meetings take 2 hours each. Then there's standup which takes an average of a hour and a half. Half an hour to go through the board for the nitty gritty details, then an extra hour for 'after standup' where the devs discuss the exact technical execution of their work and the direction of the product.

Then there's developing.

I work on the front-end, no problem. Branches have to be named a specific way, not too weird, but they can NOT NOT be named that way or it will trigger a build which will block the other builds and after about an hour it'll break, because the branch is named wrong.

Then there's the back-end. Naturally dockerised because why not, everything needs to be containerised but you only bring up containers X, Y and Z if you want to run locally. Oh and auto-reload won't work on the application when you make modifications because its an Angular 2 application living inside an AngularJS application. So you need to build the full application in iDEA and run it as dev, then run the Angular application in vscode/webstorm and if you make changes you have to manually refresh because, as I said, auto-reload doesn't work.

But wait, there's more. If you pull dev for the back-end you have to go through the whole process of downing the containers and bringing up each individual container in the right order. Then you rebuild dev and it might just break for some reason because there's instability in the configuration. I'm not a Java dev, I don't know or care.

Then there's opening a PR, hoo boy do you open a loving PR.

First you push your very specific branch to the UI application repo.
Then you go back to the main repo, and create a new branch WITH THE EXACT SAME NAME and push that to the main app repo.
Then you go back to your UI repo, and push an empty commit to it. This will trigger a script somewhere that updates the PR to the main repo with some loving update to the docker version or some absurd garbage. Once thats done, THEN your UI PR can be approved and merged, and once thats done you create a ANOTHER commit to the MAIN repo with a git tag.

This is chaos. This is pure loving chaos. This company is absolute loving nonsense.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

what in the spaghetti orchestration hell

Every time I've encountered the word 'Microservices' and 'Docker' together I immediately get depressed because you know this poo poo is going to be loving Chaos. In theory good, in practice extremely upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Armauk posted:

But is the money good?

70k euro is pretty good in Germany, it's upper end for an Angular developer.