Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I was recently hired as a Requirements Engineer at the frontend branch of a software development company. I have about as much IT-knowledge and experience as your average goon and a humanities degree with a professional background in media and journalism. I cannot write a line of code to save my life. My main task will be to work with the PO and produce good user stories. My team more or less uses Scrum and they aim to follow it more closely. I`m in for one hell of a ride.

What I'm asking is, I guess, do you guys have any thoughts regarding requirements engineering? Do you have tips on what to read up on regarding the position in general and the writing of user stories in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007

Thanks for these, managed to get the first one ordered through the company and bought the other one for myself. Tremendous help in getting a grip on the theory.

Messyass posted:

I'm officially a Requirements Engineer as well. The position is in a bit of weird place nowadays because it's not like the role exists in Scrum or anything. Ideally you'd have the developers talking to the PO and other domain experts directly anyway.
On the other hand, writing good user stories is still a skill. And i'm not talking about the 'as a ... i want ... so that ...' part, but about the acceptance criteria / tests.

Since we're recommending books:
http://www.amazon.com/Specification-Example-Successful-Deliver-Software/dp/1617290084

Basically, don't be this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Sle_o1bcs

It's weird since I'm not really part of the whole Scrum-Framework and basically get to do a little bit of everything wherever it helps. What I am trying to do is correlate information, get the right people talking to each other and deliver whatever information the developers need post-haste. At the moment I'm struggling with getting the right information out of huge technical spec documents and translating it into bite-sized pieces the developers will understand. This will take time I reckon.

volkadav posted:

Take this with a big grain of salt, as I've never been fortunate enough to work in a place where there was someone dedicated just to writing decent specifications (which are ... wonderful when you have them, speaking as an engineer). :)

1) In addition to user stories, since you mention being in a frontend group, consider reading up on UI / UX in general (if nothing else, you'll be a good sounding board for the PO that way). I'm a backend engineer and sometimes ops person so sadly I have no specific references to books or whatever to give here.
2) As part of UX, on top of textual user stories, consider whiteboarding / wireframing tools to give visual guidance as well. Sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words. What does the user see when they do something? Literal pencil-on-paper-scanned-in can work here. I've also heard good things about Balsamiq, fwiw, but have not used it (see above re: being a backend nerd).
3) It wouldn't hurt to dabble a bit in how this stuff is done; you don't have to be a developer, but it helps to have some fluency so you know better what is in (and out) of the realm of technical feasibility. Nobody was born knowing any of this, we all learned somehow. :)
4) Don't panic! Your background has already prepared you for the crucial bit of translating/recording things in one domain for an audience in a different domain. You'll definitely have a learning curve but ... as mentioned, everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback!

1) I made a push to tidy up the language used in our user stories and actually creating something akin to understandable acceptance criteria. I got a general sense for UI and UX when I was dabbling in Game Studies academically but I could definitely use more knowledge on that front.

2) I've been playing around with Balsamiq and did some test wireframe concepts, I really like to program. A little Mockup really goes a long way in making a concept understandable.

3) I've been trying to wrap my head around how our stuff works as quickly as possible. It's hard to really get into the code and deeply technical stuff but yes, it helps tremendously to be at least competent at the most important user interfaces and whatnot. It'll be a long while until I can make sense of any code.

4) I'm trying not to get in over my head and just improve step by step. It's a steep learning curve but yeah, I feel up for it. At least for the moment. Famous Last words right here.