Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

Java devs: how do you feel about intellij idea? I'm working with Spring Tool Suite at work (Spring-focused eclipse distro) and I'm interested in seeing what idea has to offer, but I'm having issues finding out how to do all the stuff I'm used to doing in eclipse and I want to know if it's worth it or not.

It's my go to IDE for Java/Android. I've done a small Spring API with it as well and was super painless to get up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I've always preferred calling it the Avalanche model.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Just be Agile guys, geez.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Overheard recently: "We do one week sprints because it reduces churn"

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
That's the agile process working by exposing issues with the team. Butthurt babies need to get out.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I love the manager that leaves me alone unless I need help with a problem or I'm screwing up and need a course correction.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Gounads posted:

Has anyone actually gotten to the point where a non-developer is writing test specs in something like gherkin and then that becomes the functional spec? I hear fairy tales of that happening but have never even been close to it.

Yep, I worked with an internal testing automation team at one gig and I successfully pitched this, where our QA was writing their acceptance criteria in gherkin and then the automation folks took that and filled out the rest of the cucumber tests. It was pretty rad.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Gounads posted:

Were your automation folks the engineers implementing the features, or a team after?

Automation was basically back filling, so they were mostly filling out the rest of the tests to work against what was there. New features were built out by development where the gherkin would need to be passing in order to mark a story as complete.

In this way it was nicely separated, with QA writing out gherkin, development building out new features to pass gherkin specs, and automation making sure old features were covered.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Gul Banana posted:

what is an ice box?

For us it was a landing pad for stuff a client wanted but we may not have budget for after adding all required stories, then pruning them to a level we thought we could accomplish with our budget and time. Basically an out of scope holding pen.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Does anyone's office not basically shut down the last week of December? All my jobs have allowed carryover and it's still always a ghost town between Christmas and New Years.

The last week of December is the best because nobody is around and you basically get a week off without taking PTO.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
It also allows them to not have to pay out PTO if you bounce. Another thing it does is remove the scarcity of PTO time, which does a cool reverse psychology on people leading to less time taken off because you don't have to worry about losing it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
IME having points added to sprints occasionally is pretty normal but if it's regular or lots of points it points to a problem in the process. Whether it's requirements not being well defined, requirements changing, or stories not being sized properly due to the aforementioned problems or unexpected code changes that need to be done to properly complete the story. Or last minute hotfix situations where things aren't pulled from the sprint when bugs and things get added.

Edit: mobile typos

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 19, 2018

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The worst is people who don't know or use the same keyboard shortcuts as you, though. "YOU CAN DO TAB COMPLETION, STOP TYPING AND PRESS TAB"

I've had this happen with a contractor, but the opposite, where the dude was flailing about trying every key combination he could imagine. Took him over 30s to write a line of code.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Are you guys using the new Reactor framework or are you doing the older Spring Boot stuff?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Keetron posted:

I guess the older one as the only thing we have with React in it is the front end. But you mean this is old? It feels so new and shiny and like such a huge leap forward compared to the Java 1.7 Spring monolith I worked on the previous project.

Spring Reactor != React. Spring 5/Spring Boot 2 brings in a bunch of new reactive/event driven style apis to the framework. Spring Boot is still great, not knocking it at all. Definitely look in to the new Reactor framework, it's pretty sweet and should bring a lot of improved performance to Spring.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 15, 2018

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Fuckin lol if you don't think a lovely language barrier doesn't cause stress and frustration for both parties.

Y'all acting like you can't be frustrated while also not acting like an rear end in a top hat. Lmao

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 16, 2018

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The general lack of nuance and broad generalization is sad and you should feel bad. Ah yes, this one normal scenario happened to two completely different people therefore you're an rear end in a top hat! It's no better than being a lovely racist.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Malcolm XML posted:

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Utopia has worked well in the past.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I'm kind of curious why people are getting hyped up about it. It's pretty clear from MS direction they're embracing open source and whatnot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Python is bad forever because it cares about whitespace.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Munkeymon posted:

Java has Jersey and, uh, Spring [Boot], I think is pretty popular, but you might have to slum it and actually write Java instead of getting to use Kotlin :whitewater:

e: but, yeah, the 'right' answer is figure out where you want to work and then proactively learn whatever they use. Easier said than done for Shirec right now, though.

Spring boot is just fine with Kotlin. The problem with spring is the plug-in support for intellij requires Ultimate. Ktor is pretty rad and I've been doing some side projects with it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
TIL treating all applicants the same is exclusionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

The Fool posted:

It is when you treat them all as a 20 something white men that have nothing but free time and no other responsibilities than your interview process.

Absolutely, but then maybe that's what they're selecting for, sadly. I'm not really sure where this heinous "do this 48 hour assignment for us" garbage came from but I imagine it'd go away a lot faster if people stopped trying to work at those places.

Shirec posted:

I've def seen a lot (reading along in the oldies thread and my own experiences) where some interviews ask a lot of you. Whole entire days, weekends of work, hours and hours of prep. Not everyone can manage to do that, nor should everyone be expected to imo. Also for GitHub/Stack Overflow, I haven't had the time to do a lot of side projects since I started working a proper dev job. Sometimes I'm working 60 hours a week, and if a potential employer is going to look at my current Git output and think I'm not motivated enough for them, it's yet another hurdle.

And I'm sure we all know how whiteboarding can be a bunch of bull

I absolutely agree. Hell, just read Good Will Hrunting's(sp) post history for the last forever. It's like some hell dimension that he's living in.

As for the github thing, I don't really do side stuff outside of work. I have other stuff I like to do, and I've used that line of thinking multiple times effectively during interviews, plus, you're fairly new to the profession so having little github code is no big deal.