Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do you work for Chris Roberts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

That kind of clause is worse than my last company that counted my travel expenses to meet them on-site (I was remote) as part of my compensation, meaning I paid 28%+ of my travel costs out of pocket by increasing my taxable income without getting paid any more. It means that if I traveled, say, 50% of the time that I would be starting to get paid negative because my salary and bonuses would be less than the taxes I'd owe on the taxable income. I complained to my manager and he said "yeah, we had a problem for a while where people couldn't pay their mortgages because they had traveled so much for the company and the company just cut them a check in those cases." That company was poo poo though, which is why if you're getting a worse deal than even that before you're even signed on you should absolutely run.

Be thankful you were given this kind of warning flag up-front

Did you ever check with an accountant or attorney to see if there was any remedy?

edit: this happens when they don't have an accountable plan: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2595504-can-my-company-show-reimbursed-expenses-as-my-earnings

I don't see how a company could have an accountant and not have some of the most basic accounting stuff so that's a good reason to run - who knows what questionable stuff they're doing.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 6, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah I would at least have them do something thing trivial like reverse a string or whatever.

In my last round of interviews it was a slight concern if there was nothing involving writing a couple of lines of code in the technical part of the interview.