Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
For a small team that does not require a full blown solution like gitlab, I found that you cannot beat gitolite in terms of simplicity and low server requirements. Gitolite does one thing and one thing only: provide you with a remote git repo. If you need issue tracking, reports, stuff like that then gitolite is not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

raminasi posted:

We don’t have 20% time but we do spend three days a quarter in a company-wide hackathon which I thought was stupid when I first heard about it but worked out really well.

How did it work out well? Anything specifically happened/came out from it? I do think that hackatons are there for the company to reap a benefit not for you, the employee, but maybe I've been looking at them wrong.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nothing encourages a team to write bad code like knowing another team is responsible for cleaning up the mess.

Which is why they should be reminded at every opportunity:

Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath who knows where you live

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
At the end of the day, if the previous process was a year long waterfall that produced a full project, going to a 3-month sprint is still an improvement. But, from that tweet it looks like it's referring to the team leads and executives. For them, yeah, I can see having fortnight checkins as being often enough, 90 day sprints as being reasonable enough. Presumably the teams under them can have 1-2 weeks sprints and daily standups.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Our team maintains our own ORM and I am completely sold that it might be ideal to just build it yourself. The advantages are that you get to build it exactly how you want, adding features is very easy, and you are expected to have at least some understanding of SQL as a team which conveys some nice benefits.

:barf:

Knowing SQL when dealing with a RDBMS is essential. Building your own ORM when there are gazillions to choose from is just :wtf:.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

scissorman posted:

Apparently Hacktoberfest has just started and I'm thinking of joining to get some practice in.
However the tagged issues seem to be widely inconsistent in scope and quality.
For those of you participating, how do you pick what you're going to work on?

The trolls have kinda killed it this year.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

alias docker="sudo podman"

Honestly I'm taking the CKAD course and they literally recommend you do that in the labs

Question: why would you run podman as root, under sudo? I've been playing with it on my own machine and i never had to do that. It's very happy to run under my own user.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a different term for CRUD apps that sounds less derogatory?

CRUD is derogatory?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Guys and gals, you do know git is just a tool, right? You cannot marry it, cannot have its children. This ... obsession, it cannot be healthy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Jesus you people, you're actively looking for human interaction? WFHs best perks were that human interaction was no longer mandated. If I could get food and internet on the top of the mountain in a cave ... that's where I'd be.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Isn't via chat or video meetings plenty of interaction? Yes, we have to interact with people since we need them and they need us. The internet allows us to do so from half a world away.

Falcon2001 posted:

Other, way less nice possibility: If someone has never worked a job where they got along with your coworkers, maybe they're the rear end in a top hat.

There's a world of difference between "getting along" and "preferring that you are not physically there". I always got along with everyone since I'm only an rear end in a top hat on the interwebs (I think ... I could be wrong). But working from home was the highlight of the pandemic, and I hope the motherfuckers who stand to profit from the office real-estate who buy stories in the papers on the benefits of getting back to the office will die in a fire. Even those articles are light on those benefits, to put it mildly. Basically all the articles that I've seen and read were 100% easily disproven wrong.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
It compiles ... ship it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

The main thing to be aware of is that withholdings on bonuses is weird and even if they do sell-to-cover and deduct some of the shares to cover taxes it’ll usually not be enough and you’ll owe a bit at the end of the year. This mostly only matters when your RSUs start being a big enough portion of your income that you have to make estimated payments to avoid penalties, and there’s a one year grace period on that.

Mine vest every quarter, a few shares of them. They withhold about a little more than half of those shares for taxes. I really do hope that is more than enough, because gently caress them otherwise.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

That's what euphemistic phrasing is for!

"The project suffered due to conflicting priorities and difficulties in alignment among stakeholders. It taught me how to balance shifting targets and how to attempt to negotiate compromise between opposing design viewpoints. In the future I'd attempt to work out any differences in requirements earlier in the project so that coordination didn't get in the way of development at later stages"

you and your interviewer both know what you mean but you've identified issues and remediations and been political about it

Yeah, this language ... is a skill. Hats off to whoever can pull it off in a split second.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
That's ... not the point at all. Nobody gives a poo poo about "employee productivity" whatever that means (can anyone even quantify it like they did in the industrial age? do they even care to quantify it?).

There are, as far as I can tell as being just a pleb, a few reasons to mandate return to office:
- The CEO has a vested interest in the health of the local office real estate. Either directly or indirectly.
- Desire to fire people without actually firing them. It doesn't matter who those people that leave are, the rest are gonna pick up the slack or else ...
- There never was a way to monitor productivity, the middle managers are and always were useless, and with WFH it has become even more obvious. Stuff butts in seats in an attempt to justify the existence of layers of managers.
- And, of course, there are those who feel they're losing the control they had over employees and they want it back. Those are usually just psychopaths. Unfortunately they make the majority of the Fortune 500 CEOs.

Nothing else matters, really. Communication? As you all know, that's 100% bullshit, not today, not in the age of the internet. "Oh, but I can just drop by your desk". Every normal human being: "Please do not do that. I'm working on something, and you doing that will interrupt me. Want help? Ask on chat".

As for shareholders? Buy back stock to keep the price up. It's simple really and it only has to work for a few years, until the contract is completed and the shares vest.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

thotsky posted:

Nah, there's legit reasons for it too. Most people aren't made to sit in a room working for 8 hours straight every day; they need to socialize, and I mean engaging in actual communal behaviors, not just hitting the pub with friends every other weekend.

Nobody is made to sit in a room working for 8 hours straight. This is why working from home is so much beneficial to everyone. You actually get to see people you care about and your pets (if you have any), which are the creatures that love you the most in the world. Rather than the ghouls at the office. 99% of which you don't even know the name of, nor do you care to.And you can go outside whenever you want (when other people aren't) see the sun, a forest (or just a tree), and re-energize.

thotsky posted:

Motivation is a factor. Some people like being able to show off their work in person, or getting an actual pat on the back rather than a like on your slack message. Online work is convenient, but pretty dehumanizing.

If the work you need to show off requires "in person" (I'm thinking robots or some other machinery) then there's no problem in organizing such events. Work-related social events are not prohibited by a work from home policy. Online work is not only convenient, but the most humanizing, as it values the most of a person's time than any other option. And "time" is the most precious currency we have, as is extremely limited as it is.

edit: I'm joking about the "ghouls" part. They're human. Mostly. I think. Not 100% on that though.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 9, 2024

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

I generally agree with Thotsky on this. Like if you can make WFH work for you kudos, but so many of the explanations sound like this:

Like yeah you said it's a joke but... Is it? This attitude is everywhere in WFH stuff and I think it's a pretty lovely take that reflects a deeply lovely view towards coworkers.

As in? I'd be a bit curious to find out the reason you think that way. We're coworkers, not friends. We try to get along, to help each other achieve the common goal (whatever that is), but it is nothing more than that. Yes, I have made friends, decades long friends, at work. Just visited one last Blizzcon, he works at Blizzard now, know him since 1999. But that's the exception and definitely not the rule. Want to get out and have a beer? By all means, nothing is stopping you. But forcing that interaction on people? That's just loving evil. And they know it.

As I said earlier: CEOs do have their motives. None of them involve productivity, employee happiness, or the well being of the company long term. They are actual ghouls, devoid of any humanity, if they even had any to begin with.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

In general I disagree with you, but I'm glad I'll never need to talk to you while grabbing some coffee.

The feeling is absolutely mutual. I like to grab my coffee alone too.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Ok, WTF? Nobody's making the problem about the other victims of the situation. Is just that nobody wants to interact with strangers if they don't have to. And certainly not more than they have to. Nobody's dehumanizing anything, is just that everyone is preferring the obviously way better solution to both their own health (mental and physical) and to the goals of the company they work for. As in, be better, more productive employees.

Surely we can all agree on the fact that unhappy employees are indeed a drag on the quality of the finished product, right? And we can all agree that making people do things that make no sense, which rob them of the most precious and unreplaceable currency they have (time) is making them less happy, right? And, not to mention, said currency (time) is not paid for when you're asking people to commute to an office, so basically they're throwing that time away for no good reason.

The problem is not the other employees. When we have demonstrated time and time again and we can and do get all along just fine remotely. Products and features get done on time. People are happier. Hell, people actually work longer (I know I do/did), because they're in a comfortable and happy environment. The chat (as lovely as the chat products have become, they still do perform their basic functions just fine) is the perfect and sufficient medium for conveying the important information among each other. The speed of the internet makes it possible to have face to face communication whenever we want and need to. Ad-hoc even, if we feel like it. And we still talk about "return to the office" as being a positive thing? Because I don't believe anyone who says it that they don't have an underlying, evil, motive.

And the discussions that you have heard/read online about bitching about the other coworkers: However much of that was real, however much of that was a joke, would all of that be better if everyone would be forced together in a building for 8 hours per day? Would we all get along just fine at that point in time and pat each other on the back? do you not see the absurdity of this position?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's really funny when someone insists that there are no possible upsides to anybody for being in an office, and it takes less than two sentences for it to become abundantly clear that it's actually a personal issue on their part.

Ah, I see. "It's you, you're the subhuman" argument coming in full force. Right. Oh well, what can I say, enjoy your commute.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think this mindset is the crux of the difference between those who are okay about returning to the office and those who aren't. Why are your coworkers strangers? Every acquaintance, friend, or lover you've ever had started out as a stranger to you—if your coworkers are stuck at stranger, that suggests something's either horribly wrong with your workplace culture or there's another common denominator holding things back.

If the former, it could be one reason to look for greener pastures elsewhere. If the latter, well, you do you—this gets back to the initial point: companies should more clearly settle into one camp or another and those who prefer one to the other should self-select to what works best for them.
Because they are coworkers. I have family and friends and I know plenty of people. With my coworkers I have a strictly professional relationship. Why would there be anything wrong with the workplace? Why is there a need, a mandate to make friends with your coworkers? They're fine people, but first and foremost we are professionals and I very much like it this way.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can you expand on this? What's the evil intent?

It depends on who they are. A CEO ... we have expanded on it. A pleb? Maybe evil is not the right word, maybe selfish is better. They are extroverts looking for get their energy from people, so they want people around, whether those people wanna be there or not. Maybe they're gunning for that promotion so they're looking to kiss someones rear end. There could a bunch of reasons.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've never read documentation, just stackoverflow posts

I do read the documentation, after everything else failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

:smith:

jobs are stupid

I got back from a two week vacation a while ago that left me in the best mental state I've been in since I had a kid, and within two days I was already almost as stressed as I was pre-vacation.

Is not like the work got done in the meantime. It was just waiting there for you.