Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I had managers once who referred to all testing as unit testing and demanded we unit test everything when they meant they wanted us to make sure it worked before we shipped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol extroverts are obnoxious. I've legitimately never been happier than WFH with no one paying any attention to me

"Oooh you must be depressed humans were made to be forced to hang out with strangers!" gently caress off

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

No, you're not allowed to think anything but full remote is ok. Only full remote is ok, anything else is brain worms, because I really like being fully remote and I do not understand why anyone might not find it as great as I do!

If you can't see the line between "I enjoy working hybrid, I like making friends with my coworkers" (like that one guy up thread no one took any issue with) and "you MUST enjoy socializing regularly with your coworkers it is necessary for your mental health" and the resultant backlash then I think you might just have a victim complex

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ice Fist posted:

It's been two years since I worked on dot net, I definitely know IEnumerable (although apparently not IEnumerable<T> as well as I thought), LINQ and expressions, but I would not have known off hand that IEnumerable<T> had a sum function and might have needed a "maybe IEnumerable has a method that can help" prompt to make me go look. I recall it now, but I had forgotten all about the aggregate functions that are available.

I'm sorry we can't work together.

Agreed, obviously the first function is simply wrong, but at least they named the variable something reasonable and descriptive. I probably wouldn't have thought to use Sum() and I use LINQ practically every day. Most programming interview questions are not necessarily about the solution you write but how you arrive at it. You can teach LINQ and generic collections very easily with a few PRs. Problem solving is much harder to teach. Of course, if you're only interested in hiring wunderkind that write perfect code with ease, then the interview question is a good one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

epswing posted:

You've lost the plot, the point of the exercise is to give the candidate a softball question, which they can complete in a variety of acceptable ways, which will give them confidence in order to slowly build up to more complex/interesting topics. It also quickly weeds out folks who cannot write code at all (if you cannot actually write a function to add up some numbers, like in my first code example, you don't have enough experience yet).

Fair enough, you made it sound like giving the answer you provided was the minimum requirement to be considered not wasting each other's time. Adding up numbers is indeed an easy task. Although if someone gave the answer you gave, but tweaked to actually be correct, I would assume that they came from a C/C++ background, rather than that they were incompetent.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The only metrics I'm interested in are "# of deadlines met" and "# of acceptance criteria met"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IBM doesn't need anyone by the balls. Momentum is powerful. Few businesses can afford to ice skate along for long enough to migrate to newer standards, and nobody likes having a dozen different setups according to whatever a given employee liked best when they took on a project.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Combat Pretzel posted:

AngularJS is EOL since January 2022, so if they're still hugging that one, they'll eventually have to move on.

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you have to tiptoe around your boss, you can turn it into a set of questions to them. Something like "what has changed since the time I presented this that has generated so much interest now? And what could I have done differently to have been included in the re-investigation?" It's absolutely managing upwards and putting your boss' diapers on for them, but this is how I've had to deal with reactive, petty managers before I secured a replacement. Also, secure a replacement.

Asking questions is the way. Never tell anyone anything, people hate that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

You should only refer to people by their UUIDs.

I mean we use SSN for everything else may as well use it for that too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Notepad++ "new 1," "new 2," "new 3," etc. unsaved files

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

redleader posted:

this but unironically. i think i've saved the most important one, but i couldn't tell you where

i was also being unironic lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Volmarias posted:

my_crimes.txt appears to be weirdly absent here

They're a goon so none of the projects have made it out of the idea stage yet

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just be happy they don't call all forms of testing "unit testing"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Plorkyeran posted:

For a while we had a project which had a "unit test" suite that was mostly integration tests and an "integration test" suite that was mostly unit tests.

The "unit test" suite was the original one and was just a bog standard "all automated tests are unit tests" thing. At one point a test started failing due to an actual bug and the person who was hurriedly trying to get a release out just disabled the test. A bit later that bug turned out to be an actual problem, and somehow someone concluded that the reason we shipped the bug was that we didn't have any integration tests which could have caught it. This lead to the creation of an "integration test" suite which ironically did not have any of the functionality required to actually spin up servers and such to perform integration testing. It was a better test harness than the old one, though, so new unit tests got written there.

Oh, I'm just talking about bog standard testing that you perform manually to check if your newly written code is functional (i.e. running the program or loading the page and going through the expected flow), as well as manual regression testing. All this and more was under the umbrella of "unit testing" at one of my old jobs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brand engager posted:

This place is driving me crazy, we do these longass design forms now and the boss still swoops in and has us do whatever setup he wanted anyways. And afterwards any issues are going to get pinned on the person he overruled.

Have you tried saying, No?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xguard86 posted:

Weird move for a VP to run to HR. Most of the VPs I know, even the nice ones, would have zero problem confronting a subordinate for something.

Yeah it's hard to imagine getting to that level of management without being able to settle your own scores

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Aramoro posted:

I'm not even a VP and I can settle my scores.

Puts you miles ahead of many of my coworkers, congrats

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Macichne Leainig posted:

No, and I had the same thought frankly.

Because my (now former) boss had quit, and declined the exit interview, I guess they had a bit of a leadership vacancy to fill.

I'm not replacing the rear end in a top hat VP, but now I am completely lateral to him and reporting to the CEO directly (neither of which is necessarily great, I think I like the CEO actually but we'll see how long that optimism lasts)

I think my title is now VP of Artificial Intelligence, which I thought was terrifying because I don't know that much about AI as deeply as many of my peers, but also knowledge is evidently meaningless in these levels of positions :shrug:

Ask a lot of questions, make few assumptions, good luck!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah. Broach the subject with him first, then go the manager if he doesn't oblige. I suggest you start by asking him what's preventing him from completing the PR. Then try to steer the conversation in a positive direction by asking him what the plan to move forward with it is. Try to come out of the conversation with a deadline.

Log these discussions on the PR or issue tracker to cover your rear end, e.g. "Spoke with Jerk about the additions blocking this PR, said he would have them done by 10/9." Go above his head as a last resort; this will create drama and stress for you especially if your manager is not good at managing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My ticket: The tiny hard drive you gave me is full of compilers and libraries. AppData is taking up 40% of the drive with DLLs. Please clone me to a larger drive.
IT: How about you reinstall all your development environments to the D drive instead?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

prom candy posted:

Having a bullshit job causes extreme psychological damage but not having money is worse.

I'm contracting for my former employer who I left for largely similar reasons. One of my former teammates estimated 8 hours on a ticket and my old boss smelled bullshit and asked me to do it. Took me 25 minutes. Apparently this kind of thing is commonplace and nobody in the org cares. I love goofing off but not sure I'd be that brazen about it at the height of layoff season.

Would have to know more about the details (did you change one line of code?) but overestimating is better than underestimating. Include time for testing, code review, deployment, unexpected issues, etc. Underpromise, overdeliver. It's not always brazen goofing off, sometimes it's best practice.

prom candy posted:

I tend to overestimate as well, but a reasonable overestimate for this would've been 2-3 hours.

I also think estimating is bullshit. The only valid estimates really are "should be easy" and "that's pretty complex and will take a while" and "I don't know, we have to start on it to find out." Any org that wants hour-estimates for work and especially hour-estimates for work that they expect to be workable by any person in the team is just at levels of self-deception that I can't stomach.

That's true.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm going to be very unpopular for saying this: if you lean into this mindset and get good at figuring out what follow-ups you're going to be asked, you'll start banging these out in 15 minutes. There are a lot of problems with change advisory boards, especially if there's tons of rework, but a lot of the complaints about the front ends of these processes originate from people who are chronically unable to describe the problem they're trying to solve.

I assume by "banging out" you mean "generating with ChatGPT because nobody's gonna be reading it in-depth anyway"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Are you offering WFH? I'd take a lower salary for a 5-day WFH workweek.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't do it, but I am fairly confident that I could work two jobs without the quality or reliability of my work suffering. It would just eat into the time that I currently use for goofing off. Some of you may have more demanding jobs, though, and I respect that; it's why I'm sticking with mine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't mind my coworkers, they're just people who were chosen for me to have to work with. Some good, some bad. But WFH is abundantly, plainly better for my mental health than having to go into an office. I just don't work very well that way. One of the most immediately obvious things about the COVID pandemic was how much happier I was compared to when I had to go into the office. I've tried hybrid, and it is not enough. Commuting and sitting in an office makes me abjectly miserable compared to WFH. I'm so, so glad that I was born in an age where I don't have to do it. I believe I can communicate just as well on projects from home as from an office and get just as much done.

If you don't work that way, and you prefer to be in an office, that's fine. But please have respect for the fact that not everybody has the same outlook on life as you, especially if you're going to talk about teamwork and respecting your coworkers as human beings. Meeting people where they are is a huge part of that. And don't act as a toady for management, whose reasons for trying to force people back to the office are not benevolent. No one's forcing you to work from home. And if you feel like your office experience isn't "complete" without us, somehow-- tough poo poo??

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cugel the Clever posted:

Commute keeps coming up as a despicable thing, but no one citing it ever seems to want to do anything about it except WFH forever. Though obviously suburban sprawl is an artifact of legacy decisions made by the people who came before us, it's weird that the thing people want to end is the WFO rather than the suburban sprawl, something which many of us can self-select into changing the narrative on.

If someone made the decision to move to a car-dependent exurb knowing their company has an office downtown and is now complaining that either they can't RTO or that my walkable, bikeable, and bussable 15-minute neighborhood needs to rip out sidewalk and bike lanes to allow more single-occupancy autos on the streets, it's something I'm going to push back on.

Yeah it's weird how nobody is posting any individual solutions for poor urban planning. :rolleyes: Strawmanning this into a NUMTOT thing is weak and you know it. Nobody WFH wants to drive anywhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teams malfunctioned the other day because it had an update that it didn't inform me of and entirely stopped synchronizing messages for almost the whole day, so I didn't see any of them until COB when I finally updated it. I imagine if I were in Mega Comrade's organization I would be fired for that. :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And you're making your broken org my culture problem? :P

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All code is error

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

StumblyWumbly posted:

?
Maybe I'm the idiot, but the free chat gpt's knowledge was frozen a while ago, and it routinely confuses less known stuff with well known stuff, like confusing Polars dataframes with Pandas.
The person deserves to be laughed at for being too reliant on chat gpt, but it's a legit problem with the tool

Yes, the tool has many problems. So does ChatGPT even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've never read documentation, just stackoverflow posts