Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SuddenExpire posted:

This article brings up some pretty good points https://aphyr.com/posts/323-call-me-maybe-elasticsearch-1-5-0, a bit old but the most recent comments links an open issue on Github where nodes can diverge. I would rather have a ACID compliant database then a possibility of a 'rare' occurrence per https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/ela..._status_ongoing. Hopefully it can be resolved in 6.X.

I love aphyr.com. When I started learning NoSQL databases I devoured everything in their blog.

"In this post, we’ll see MongoDB drop a phenomenal amount of data" still makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Clanpot Shake posted:

A lot of our PR guidelines stem from bad things that have happened (caution being the grandson of disaster and all that), which has me wondering what happened at their place of work that had the team going, "if only we had required function parameters be in alphabetical order! Then this catastrophe could have been averted!"

Surely there's some reason for it that isn't some powerful pedant's pet peeve. Surely...

"This function takes 14 parameters and I can't remember the order."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Carbon dioxide posted:

New job is offering me either a macbook or a Dell laptop. All I know is that both are decently powerful machines, good enough for developers. Which should I choose?

If you're a programmer, and assuming you'll be SSHing into your dev environment or will have VMware, it doesn't matter. Go with what you're comfortable with.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KoRMaK posted:

Yea

Mac has unix under the hood and yadada. If I had the option, and the specs were mostly the same I'd prob go macbook now adays. Dell just seems gross to me. Lenovo or bust for windows work machines bb.

Is Lenovo still the best windows laptop? I heard someone say it has fallen in quality.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

I don't really have any pressing needs in my personal life that need bespoke solutions made by myself, I don't have the perspective to do it in a professional capacity (lots more people have a better idea of what we devs need than I do), and I don't really have any OSS that I feel the need to contribute to. :shrug: I just don't do much open source stuff. Am I just unlearned/underexposed?

I think that's normal. I've only contributed to young projects with easy problems. The only time I noticed a problem in a mature project, one that I could actually fix, I found I couldn't easily navigate the code and tests, and soon had to move onto other problems at work.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KoRMaK posted:

"but they slow me down"

So does version control, dev environments, testing, release tagging, security, compiler warnings, passwords, locking your car door, wiping your rear end, and bathing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I think the lesson has less to do with software quality than the business as a whole. Though it's funny to think about Microsoft moving to an open office configuration, and suddenly the stock price takes a dive.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gildiss posted:

My scrum master at my last position gave everyone a rubber duck. He said if you and the duck can't crack the problem to talk to him and he would link you up with someone that could.
That duck knows his poo poo.

Every programmer's secret weapon.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

metztli posted:

Not a bad idea - that way you still have it written out if you need it.

Does anyone else find that actually verbalizing helps you differently than writing? I find verbalizing works best for me and writing it out is less successful at triggering the aha moment. Conversely, having to write out something that I already understand and need to explain to someone else is vastly easier for me than verbalizing it.

Yep. That's why I tell people to actually *talk* to the duck. My understanding is that talking aloud has you using different pathways in the brain, which will help you make new connections with the problem.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
This time of year is very slow for some industries. Lots of executives take vacations in August.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Time was a mistake. Users should have to pick from an enumerated list of approximate values. Nowish, later, and eh.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Dirk Pitt posted:

What are y’alls reporting structures like? Our CTO is stepping down to focus on founding a company and the CPO and CEO re-orged us into reporting to product owners who have full HR control and then the product managers report to the CPO. I haven’t worked in an organization where there is an absence of an engineering leadership path.

I've been told that having devs report to the product owner is Very Not Good, but I've never quite understood why.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

chutwig posted:

I've been using NiFi for prototyping lately and it's been a fairly positive experience. It has its own quirks, but I was able to pick it up pretty quickly and it comes with a lot of processors out of the box for doing things that you'd have to supply yourself with Spark. Writing more processors is also pretty easy - I was able to write a couple of processors for munging JSON in like a day or two after having not written any Java in over a decade. If you just need a basic ETL pipeline and don't want to fumble with workers and Zookeeper and JAR hell, maybe take a look at it. There's a lot of overlap between it and Spark for simple data manipulation jobs.

I'll second this. I was briefly on a big data project that used a Kafka/NiFi/Hadoop, and NiFi was a blast to work with. Like you I hadn't touched Java since forever, but was writing custom components after a few days.

Dunno how it compares to Spark.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My last job had full-time scrum masters, each split between two teams, much like POs there. At my current job the scrum master is a senior developer, and being senior he knows how to unblock problems.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Our lovely Restaurant: My Experience With Agile, Bureaucracy and Unnecessary Complication

https://steemit.com/food/@walden/our-lovely-restaurant-my-experience-with-agile-bureaucracy-and-unnecessary-complication

This story is like a fine book. Every time I return to it i appreciate it on a new level.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So I have a function that queries a database, and the whole thing needs to run quickly. It already has unit tests. But I want to make sure that future maintainers understand performance requirements.

Is it appropriate to add a performance unit test? Like “benchmark sub, fail if > 10 seconds”? One problem is that unit tests run on a shared server, against a shared database.

Normally whenever I fix a bug I add a unit test. I don’t know what the right thing to do when the bug is “slow performance.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Congrats!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Were you working there when Stack Overflow came out?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What was the sales department selling? Ads? Enterprise membership?

How does EE make money?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I kinda felt bad for EE after Stack Overflow came out. It was like Mapquest after Google Maps dropped: overnight they just got lapped.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I like to spend my last two weeks on a job cleaning up, documenting, bugfixing, and leaving at 5pm sharp.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I disagree with the growing wisdom here. One of the most persistent flaws in software developers, even good developers, is how poorly we estimate time-to-complete. A lot of methodologies either try to solve that problem (timeboxing, reducing everything to <4 hour tasks), or eliminate it (throw out anything still unfinished at the end of the day). Good programmers will still struggle when faced with unorganized waterfall messes.

Scrum is one method for helping programmers with this problem, while giving management their say in what needs to be built.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
1990s: “Look like somebody has a case of the Monday’s.”

2000s: (poo poo, I can’t say that anymore since Office Space was written to make fun of people like me.)

2010s: Posts “Looks like somebody has a case of the Monday’s.” Office Space meme, but, like, ironically.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

redleader posted:

It's fine. Just don't gently caress up on prod.

Here, you get full access to every production server and database from day 1. Few of our clients pay for pre-production environments, and we don't have a process for taking a prod DB and making it "safe" to work on. So you get people running up local websites connected to real DBs etc. Our docs remain neutral on the issue of "should I develop directly on the prod DB?"

We don't really do "best", or even "good" practice.

If programming was weight loss supplements, your company would be the “Before” picture.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

csammis posted:

This sort of thing happens pretty regularly (annually in fact :haw: ) at companies going for the R&D tax credit

That stupid tax is why I had to fill out time sheets while I was a full time employee at one job. They didn’t care how long I worked, thank god, they just wanted to know what I was doing that could be counted as “New Work”.

I hate filling out time sheets.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

Officially starting my new remote job today. It's a 3-hour time difference and it's the first day, so it's a strange feeling to not really know what you're supposed to be doing until around noon...

How was your last day at the old place? Have a fun exit interview?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gildiss posted:

Any good tools or techniques for planning out an application.
I find myself spinning my wheels trying to solve one problem and getting side tracked by another that reveals itself working on the first.
I'm working pretty much solo on this, no stories, no BAs, no masters.
Building an online interface to View/Edit/Create nested data.

Since I’m in web dev land, I normally sketch (literally) out the the screens I want. Then build something to make those work. If I’m doing pure backend work, I’ll write the API I want first.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
You guys ever do that thing where you spend hours coming up with an extremely efficient algorithm for your data structure, only to learn that you’ll never have more than a couple dozen pieces of data, and the ugliest algorithm in the world would execute in approximately the same time?

That happens to me a lot.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I spent so long in college learning about time v space trade-offs in programming, but software development is all about development speed v correctness of new features. This little fact is something that didn’t really sink in until just recently when I read the Google SRE book.

Do other professions have this weird chasm between school and work? Is this like how lawyers (according to My Cousin Vinny) learn theory in school, and expect their firms to train them in practice?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Munkeymon posted:

I've dreamt in X(A)ML before. It was about as bad as you'd think.

All my XML dreams were nightmares.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Clanpot Shake posted:

What were you asked? I've always been asked one of: reverse a string, sort a list, traverse a tree. Basic stuff.

I saw the palindrome and biggest drop problems a lot.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If you have five projects to yourself, your manager has a deeper misunderstanding of how to work effectively than a bit of scrum training will solve.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

FormatAmerica posted:

I work 35-40 hours a week, 50 if I feel like stretching on something interesting where I'm learning new stuff or having fun. I am full-time salaried.

Double echoed.

I used to work tons more, but most of it was slacking off interleaved with panicked coding sessions. I had a light bulb moment when I realized I could leave at 5 every day, even coming in at 10am and taking lunch, if I spent all my time at work working.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

vonnegutt posted:

A friend of mine has her setup so in tune with her coding practices that I swear she just flails on the keyboard and perfect, complete code pops out all by itself.

I knew a guy like this, but with Eclipse. His hands never left the keyboard, but managed to code quicky across multiple oprn files at once. I wasn't surprised to hear that he later was on the Eclipse board.

...And holy poo poo, I just googled him and learned he passed away.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Taffer posted:

Tech debt removal and testibility and good architecture have very high business value, it's just indirect instead of direct. If your PO doesn't understand that they're an idiot and shouldn't be a PO.

My team recently did some tech debt pay-down, and were able to immediately show it's usefulness by quickly implementing a couple useful features on top of the new code. Stuff like that is PO crack. I'm planning on using that as a model for how we tackle tech debt for now on. Today's Refactoring is Tomorrow's Feature.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That is extremely temporary I hope, and ill-advised if it isn't.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's Git's fault for having wildly unhelpful documentation, obtuse output, and one of the least intuitive CLIs I've ever encountered.

It makes perfect sense if you’re managing Linux development. Every time I’m at an impasse with git, I ask myself, “What would Linus Torvalds do?” Then I go yell at a junior dev.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

CPColin posted:

I've been stressing lately about what I'm going to put on my resume for this job, besides, "Maintained a bunch of dumb poo poo for a department that shouldn't exist." Like, I do not want "Groovy" and "Grails" getting anywhere loving close to my "Skills" section.

Although I guess "Took one web application from a dozen unit and integration tests to 432 tests" is a start.

I have a couple lines on my resume that read something like, "maintained x lines of legacy code, adding y unit tests".

The word "legacy" is fun, because interviewers always know what it means, and ask for stories.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

SardonicTyrant posted:

A friend told me his job hired a new software developer, and after a few days they realized he had completely lied about his background and fired him. Like, how did he expect to do the job if he had no idea what to do?

More importantly, how did your job fire someone who deserves to be fired in only a few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

kitten smoothie posted:

I miss the job I worked at where they realized that team coverage is always terrible during the last six weeks of the year, so company-wide policy was that no releases are to happen between Thanksgiving and New Year. People used the time for learning and paying off tech debt, if they weren't just on vacation.

Whereas I just had to make the argument that this time of year is different, and no we should not take a full sprint worth of points for the two weeks covering Christmas and New Years.