Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prom candy posted:

A thing I heard was something along the lines of if you have a poo poo codebase and it's preventing you from iterating and adding new features and you don't rewrite, eventually a competitor will rewrite it themselves and steal your customers. They gave the example of some salon management tool that everyone in the industry used but hated that got absolutely bodied by a competitor who offered more or less the same thing but not poo poo.

I believe that a company who made the industry leading product isn’t capable of making a better, nimbler version. It goes beyond a need to rewrite code. It’s institutional. They can’t even look at a simple user requirement without turning it into an enterprise-level misunderstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For small post-mortems, I’d look to Scrum and the three questions. What went right, what went wrong, and what are we going change. It’s a quick exercise, and keeping track the answers in a giant Google doc will reveal patterns.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The worst thing about hoteling is that everyone sits in the same place every day anyways, except now every time someone new comes in it feels like you’re socially renegotiating your desk arrangement. I can be pretty social person, but it wore on me.

One director explained the upper management’s reasoning as, “the eventual goal is to have more people than desks, so you’re forced to sometimes sit at shared tables.” Then he just kinda shrugged his shoulders and I knew that he didn’t understand it either.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
https://www.workatastartup.com/ if you’re into remote work and owning a lottery ticket.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prom candy posted:

Since we're talking books, anyone have any suggestions for software related books that work well as audio books? I have a bunch of Libro credits I need to use. Doesn't necessarily need to be code books but just any good semi-related non-fiction

Soul Of A New Machine is an old classic. It’s the story of how an exciting new computer was designed and built inside a very boring company. It’s a real fun story.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Did they write code that didn’t work, or did they not even write a line or code?

Did they ask questions?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I wonder if that person was actually reciting a leetcode answer they quickly googled while talking with you, and that’s why they couldn’t adjust.

FWIW, I recently shadowed on an screen share interview where the candidate was asked to fix some code, and they literally didn’t write anything. None of our hints or leading questions got them to start. It was rough. I felt bad. It made me question our process too.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prom candy posted:

Okay I read Designing Data-Intensive Applications, what next?

(I also read Soul of a New Machine after recommendations from this thread, really enjoyed it)

I forget, what kind of books are you looking for?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When you’re feeling strong emotions like anger and bitterness, a good idea is to open the conversation by just outright acknowledging it. “I’m feeling a bit angry and bitter here, and I’d like to talk about it.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I use Notion. It’s text files organized in folders. Of all the problems I have with Notion, it’s good enough for that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Does it have little quizzes after each section? I hate that. But I did learn that with some of the videos I could just see a full transcript and quickly read that.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
IME the way to get developers to do PRs in a timely fashion is to wait until they complain about it in a retro, and then suggest a new rule that all PRs are reviewed within a day (or something). Since they complained about it, they’ll buy in to the new rule.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
There’s this big dead zone in between executive leadership team and Agile. At one end the CEO needs to go the board and say X will finished in 6 months, and at the other end are small teams using Agile and saying “we have no idea what we’ll be doing in six months” while gesturing vaguely at a backlog, and inbetween are middle management scrambling to hold the whole place together.

But it always kinda works.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What’s the salary?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Teams kills conversation. I’ve been in two workplaces that switched from Slack to Teams and in both the small talk about code and software and the company just withered away. A lot of gems appear in small talk, it’s a real loss when it disappears.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I quite like Copilot, but I found it doesn’t work if there aren’t existing examples of code. Like when I was working with Rust, and using portions of a library that apparently no one had ever used in a public repo (and I did a deep search in Google and GitHub), Copilot just gave up. I wonder if ChatGPT would have been better.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The current state of AI is having a junior dev you have to watch and review. It can be useful. But you can’t just accept what it puts out without editing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
So I was an early employee at a startup with an abusive CEO, I built the entire first version of their product, and then I was fired. Now, two years later, I’m watching them slowly launch. And it hurts knowing that they might succeed with a product that I poured so much sweat into. I don’t want to be bitter, but it’s hard sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Where did you get your team leads from?