Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Finster Dexter posted:

They asked me what the Big O was of the LINQ OrderBy method. I guessed polynomial time. I was wrong. It was logarithmic. But they didn't seem to care and I don't care either.

If I remember correctly, technically you were correct, since big o defines an upper bound of the algorithmic complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

We have an ssl-enabled IRC server and have a bouncer set up for people to retain history when not connected.

It's handy for us since there's less impedance when new hires need to hang around on the IRC channel for a FOSS project when they need help or are working on it.

Given the number of FOSS old-hands, the general attitude towards slack is generally dismissive, which gets reinforced whenever we have to deal with an organisation that is using slack badly.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Could be worse, you could be working on the git codebase where they know how memory works but don't appear to care.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Plus, everyone reinvents the wheel and we build toppling edifices of abstraction that inevitably fall down so we build a new platform in the misguided belief that this time it won't happen again! Requiring us to port and rewrite everything for the new platform.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

PT6A posted:

I was having a discussion with a developer, who's apparently in charge of a team of programmers, who was opining to me that he doesn't really understand the purpose of unit testing and thinks it's often a waste of time.

Myself, I don't envy the people working for him.

It's worse when it's the CEO who holds this opinion.

There is a point in there, that it's an effort trade-off on effort spent writing and updating tests when your program changes vs fixing bugs because behaviour changed unintentionally, and that requiring tests reduces development momentum, but I've seen first-hand what the logical extreme is, and once the program gets big enough that it can actually do anything useful, development stalls because without tests everything is always broken.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

CPColin posted:

Anybody know if there's a difference between "Architect" and "Systems Engineer?" There's talk about creating a new position that more closely reflects my job duties and I'm lobbying for "Architect," but the higher-ups are leaning toward "Systems Engineer."

I don't know how everyone else defines them, but in my current project Architect appears to imply technical leadership as well, whether it's on a project that has multiple systems or not.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

I love Prolog so much. Did a bunch of my masters NLP work with it. It's such a shame no one in industry uses it or even cares that it exists.

I've heard from someone that works there that Planixs use Prolog. Can't say I'd recommend working with them though.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

MisterZimbu posted:

- Times that do change with timezone (this conference call with us and our UK affiliate is at 4 EST) or are used in actual math (how many hours has it been since <thing> started)?

The international appointment booking is a fun one because time zones change too.
Not just daylight savings, sometimes a country picks an entirely different time zone (Samoa).

You need to include where the event will be, so if the time zone changes it's still correct for local time.
Probably better to include GPS coordinates too in case the country changes shape or stops existing.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

If you don't want to look at Slack, then don't. Half the point of asynchronous communication mechanisms like Slack is that you can ignore stuff when you're heads-down. At my org at least, a Slack message is way less "this needs attention" than an email.

Then you get chewed out by someone who doesn't understand what asynchronous means for not replying to their messages immediately.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Portland Sucks posted:

You say Okay! a lot.

It's code for "go gently caress yourself".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I use vim for programming because I learnt it as the highest common factor text-editor for the systems I'll be using, and I end up hopping between technologies often enough that it's not worth learning the IDE for that specific technology and generic IDEs suck.