Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Volmarias posted:

The projects afterwards were all either minor, ill fated, or ill suited for me

I mean these are still great fodder for that sort of question. Being able to talk about a project that didn't go so well and understanding exactly the reasons it didn't go well and how you'd avoid or tackle those problems in the future is still incredibly valuable to an interviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

"Political interference from above made progress of any kind difficult" doesn't seem like good fodder.

That's what euphemistic phrasing is for!

"The project suffered due to conflicting priorities and difficulties in alignment among stakeholders. It taught me how to balance shifting targets and how to attempt to negotiate compromise between opposing design viewpoints. In the future I'd attempt to work out any differences in requirements earlier in the project so that coordination didn't get in the way of development at later stages"

you and your interviewer both know what you mean but you've identified issues and remediations and been political about it

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Wibla posted:

This perfectly describes a project I'm still in.

:negative:

:sever: but also think about how well that will fit in a "tell me about a challenge you overcame" question in a future interview!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Please do my soft skills interviews for me.

Volguus posted:

Yeah, this language ... is a skill. Hats off to whoever can pull it off in a split second.

The trick is

Truman Peyote posted:

you don't need to pull it off in a split second, though, you can prepare answers for common questions such as "tell me about the challenges you faced in this project."

If you are forearmed with "what went well/what didn't go so well" for your last handful of projects, you've basically nailed these interviews. Even easier if it's a takehome assigment and you get time and a thesaurus and everything.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm getting back into conducting interviews and getting bummed out. Our company is early and we're not offering flashy salaries, instead opting for 6% 401k match, bonuses up to 10%, and good bennies.

Our coding interview is a small utility that's already written, but has bugs in it. I find this way less stressful than asking somebody to write code from scratch, and way more valuable to us. Being able to read, digest, and fix existing code is extremely valuable, while going off to write a greenfield project however you like doesn't come up much until you hit higher levels of the engineering ladder.

The people we're collecting in the pipeline are having a really hard time with it. Like not being able to suss out where the data is flowing, how functions are being called, and where deadlocks are occurring. It's the same test I took so I don't feel like it's bad or unfair, I actually really enjoyed the exercise.

The good engineers just aren't enticed by our mediocre salaries.

Had a very similar problem - a big part of it is that you're not a Big Name and you're not paying Big Name salaries. You'll get candidates eventually, but you're going to be going through a lot of chaff to get there.

My company has never paid great while I've been interviewing and I deeply identify with this because we had an even easier assignment and the number of people we had that just straight up bounced off of it was horrifying. Like I get interview anxiety and everything but 35 mins should at least get us some good discourse on where the problem might be coming from. I shudder to think of how much trouble we'd have had if we'd had any sort of concurrency.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

'Maybe it won't be perfect' is not a good reason continue doing dumb bullshit by hand

I've taken the tack of just repeating the phrase "the perfect is the enemy of the good" as often and as loudly as is professional until people shut the hell up about this

it's worked surprisingly well

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

This remains the single bastion of good code on the internet

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Thread, today I honest-to-god read the documentation for a library update that I wanted to make sure I was using right

And then I went back to just searching directly for the answers to what I wanted to do because the documentation still didn't tell me how to do it

Reading docs properly is for suckers, search for snippets erryday :yayclod:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xarn posted:

That all sounds completely insane, where does everyone find these places?

The probably of this being your place of work hits an inflection point the moment you hire a project/product manager and increases exponentially with every new hire from there. Each addition to the PMO increases the exponent

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Possibly, but good PMs/PgMs will act as bullshit umbrellas in the same way that good managers do.

True but that's not as funny to post

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

oof ouch my boneslived experience

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

a quote from teams the other day

managers.txt posted:

[4:02 p.m.] <manager>
Hi Everyone,

A quick update - <client> plans to go live directly with <version> to get <domain> forecast
So the tentative support start is mid-May.

[4:03 p.m.] <sr ML dev>
<domain> forecast 🫣

[4:03 p.m.] <sr ML dev>
we are at 26% accuracy with <domain> forecast

[4:05 p.m.] <manager>
Are we able to tune it for better accuracy / is the data not good enough?

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Haha, yeah, healthy teams do this, yeah… :negative:

No, it hasn’t gotten any better here. In fact, I ended up taking the afternoon off yesterday because of a depression spike/mental health downturn. I’m okay now, but gently caress man.

:smith:

jobs are stupid

I got back from a two week vacation a while ago that left me in the best mental state I've been in since I had a kid, and within two days I was already almost as stressed as I was pre-vacation.