Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have only ever worked at private companies and usually haven't stuck around more than a couple years so i've always just kind of assumed my equity was worthless and never picked up whatever did manage to vest

now i've been at a company for four years and had all my ISOs vest, and just got another batch of NSOs that will vest with the same stuff everyone uses - one year cliff for 25% and then three years for the remaining 75%. i cannot possibly imagine being at this company another full year, let alone four, and it was very hard to pretend to be excited when my boss told me i was getting this grant :negative:

of course the ISOs are still fake as well because the company is still private and it's hard to see them going public any time soon, and exercising my options would cost me a cool $51k before taxes. maybe if i bail i'll try one of those secondary market things, since giving up like 10% of the theoretical exit money in exchange for funding seems a lot better than spending a bunch of money that'll go nowhere if this company never gets around to going public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

but office productivity is so much greater, better ergonomics, better work setup, presentation screens, white boards

this is a post from someone who has never worked at a pre Series A or private equity owned startup :allears:

one of the reasons I have declined to RTO here in NYC, in addition to an annoying commute, is that our lovely WeWork is just hotdesks with bad 1080p monitors and terrible Dell keyboards

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also I'm doing some work today so I can take half of Tuesday off to go ride my bike since the weather is miserable this weekend but going to be nice during the week, but this is IC privilege I guess, and one of the reasons I hope to never become a manager

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Nybble posted:

I’m transferring within the department so I can actually work with people in my office. Everyone else on my team and partner teams are 90 miles away and it sucks because they constantly leave me out of conversations. My first few weeks I just worked from home because my managers didn’t know who to introduce me to. I ended up meeting people from my home location at that away location for the first time.

the funny thing is this was my company in 2019 trying to manage having 3 offices across the US, where 80% of a team would be in one office and the other 20% would have a super hard time keeping up

because we've gone remote by default, this is no longer an issue, because there is not a single engineering team that is majority in one location

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the most notable thing AI has done for me is that one of my coworkers uses it to generate the most loving worthless pull request descriptions that just itemize every change he made in a file with zero context on why the hell he was changing anything

love to read the equivalent of SEO spam drivel in PRs and JIRA tickets