Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

To avoid bikeshedding, we moved towards just asking developers to implement requirements however they think is appropriate. We spend less time reimplementing things that people don't like than we did talking about them before

I tried proposing this approach in my team and the lead developer balked at the idea that anyone might do anything even remotely differently from someone else on the team. I wasn't surprised. I knew there would be trouble the first time we had a team-wide meeting about how to capitalize object names in our code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hughlander posted:

That sounds like an argument in favor then. "Since we will all do the same thing anyway let's just do it."

The issue is we won't all do everything the same way (i.e. the way the senior developer prefers) until we discuss it at length.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm a self-taught web developer who has been working professionally for six years. Can I be a good programmer if I study C++, or is it too late for me? :ohdear:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then again this is coming from somebody that dislikes c++ and sticks to things like c# or java so take that as you will.

I'm a C# person myself. For a while I seriously did believe it was all I'd need to know to keep a career, but that's clearly untrue and besides, I'm getting pretty bored of web development.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

You'll never be a good programmer but you may make a goon or two cream themselves if you learn C++.

Personally I'd just stick to making money and living life and not giving a poo poo of some neckbeard thinks you're rad and good.

C++ ain't that hard to learn. Check out http://www.learncpp.com/ if you want. However, if you don't use it at your day job and you have any other hobbies or don't program in your off time - and if you did why wouldn't you just stick to working on projects in a familiar space - then why bother?

I'm being half-facetious. Obviously goons complaining about their coworkers shouldn't be a big deal, but I have to admit I am pretty insecure about my prospects and I don't feel like my day job provides lots of opportunities to learn new things and strengthen my skills. I don't really have time for school (because of the day job) so I just find myself hoping I can use what free time I can spare to focus on the right skills.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Maybe thats because you are doing it in C#. Ruby on Rails is great, and I came from a C# and PHP background.

Funny you should say that. My buddy is a Java developer who has recently become keen on switching to RoR so we've been doing a little studying up on that for a pet project. I've only learned the very basics so far, but it's really apparent how much easier and straightforward it is to set up a functioning MVC application in Rails rather than .NET.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

PT6A posted:

I was having a discussion with a developer, who's apparently in charge of a team of programmers, who was opining to me that he doesn't really understand the purpose of unit testing and thinks it's often a waste of time.

Myself, I don't envy the people working for him.

The senior developer on my team is precisely the same way, and it is aggravating. She complains about the amount of "useless code" it requires and I gotta either pretend the poo poo she's saying makes sense or get into a futile argument. And all this poo poo from someone who insists on having hours of meetings over weeks before any code is even written.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Messyass posted:

And in that case demand that at least the same amount of energy is devoted to estimating the value of the feature.

God, I wish.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My team has been doing agile for 4 years. Each agile activity is spent arguing about the process. :smith:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sorry, what is :yotj: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dirty Frank posted:

I didn't know for ages so I'm gonna give a proper full answer: Its "Year Of the Job". A bunch of IT goons all got new good jobs in the same year at some point (computer janitor thread), its proper life affirming.

That's badass.