Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatz
Jul 1, 2011

Drythe posted:

My work claims to the death we are agile despite me even giving all our management a presentation over what agile is and how we are not and what we can do to work towards it. We still require the business to give all requirements at the start, refuse to talk to them to clarify anything, only ever do one release of a product, and testing is still only at the end.

We are also trying to force Salesforce to work for everything, including letting the business make their own web apps. To everyone who isn't an idiot's shock, it sucks rear end at doing all of that but they refuse to move on and do real work. Sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing.

We call that "sloganized agile". It usually happens in an old waterfall style development company with alot of lifer middle management. The terms used in agile are substituted in for old existing practices, (i.e. meetings become standups, design specs become user stories, managers become dual product owners/scrum masters because they're just that good...)

..and I work at that company!

Everything's a disaster. The transparency that agile brings to the table was hijacked into micromanagement every morning where managers show up at stand ups and tell everyone they're doing it wrong. The moment a team starts showing any signs of success middle management is threatened so they work to break up the teams. Things have gotten so bad developers are required to fill out secret surveys at the end of a sprint detailing who they thought the best and worst performers on their team were and deliver it straight to management.

We've something called a Definition of Done that must be met before a team can call a user story done. At some point that became optional because "We don't have time." Following that are celebratory emails about how everything was done on time.

I got a scrum master certification out of it, which looks good on a resume but is virtually worthless as an indicator of skill or talent. It was a 2 day course outlining agile and scrum practices, that's about it. No tests to pass, etc.

Fatz fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU