Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Apparently our co-located, very productive team was declared "too large to be AGILE" by the new CTO who has never set foot in this office, so we've been split into two. Nothing like doubling administrative overhead to improve productivity, right?? Now I'm on a wonderful new team with fully half its members 10.5 hours away in India! Huzzah for high-latency communication and 7am meetings! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Taffer posted:

Those twitter posts highlight an important issue in the industry (pressure to overwork), but it's a really dumb hot take. Being passionate is privilege? Give me a break, that's pathetic.

The culture of expecting developers to make their out-of-office life an afterthought is a problem, nobody should be expected to consistently stay in the office after hours, or go home at the end of the day and work more. But if someone is truly passionate and wants to do something all the time, who cares. People are passionate and do that in every field, it has nothing to do with privilege or development.

Privilege is a big deal in terms of someones capability to dedicate a lot of time to something, but that's a much broader issue that affects literally everything in life, and it's counter-productive to say that passion is privilege, it's just a bad twitter hot take.

The reason "passionate" is in quotes in all those tweets is because "passion" is being used as a euphemism for exactly "expecting developers to make their out-of-office life an afterthought".

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

ChickenWing posted:

Dingus might just be forgetful or be rushing. It happens.

I have Eclipse set to automatically remove unused imports on save, so every file I touch gets cleaned up. That's what technology is for, doing the poo poo that is too easy for humans to forget or be lazy about.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Rubellavator posted:

I just have to be there for 10am stand up and whatever meeting immediately follows that, and get my 40/week it's pretty sweet. Almost makes up for all the other stupid poo poo we deal with.

Must have been a whole lot of poo poo today to make you forget having posted 4 hours before

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Why would you pre create a merge request at the beginning of feature development before you are ready to request the code be merged?