Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Here's my timesheet nag email:

Missing Timesheets for [ME]

Minimum hours per day expected: 8.00
Hours input for 04/03/16 6.25
Hours input for 03/03/16 7.25
Hours input for 02/03/16 8.25
Hours input for 01/03/16 8.50
Hours input for 29/02/16 7.50

We have time fields attached to our task tracker thing - works fine for support / investigation jobs, but it's totally useless for when you're just working on projects. On the bright side we've written a bunch of code to extend the timesheet tool and make it really easy to just go '2 hrs admin 2 hrs checking emails 5 days a week' to fill in all the other time.

Agency work and doing dev for 30 clients at once has its own hilarious set of impediments for developers - I always laugh when we're asked to estimate how long investigating a problem will take before beginning to investigate it so they can get into fights with clients over approving 2 hrs of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

smackfu posted:

(And yes, all this Agile terminology is wankery but calling stuff by the wrong name does make you look uninformed.)

I really hate this right now

We're going through a process of talking about fixing our process. Scrum keeps coming up but we're not actually remotely close to doing scrum and it drives me batty because I just know someone will talk to our customers about how we're DOING SCRUM and look incredibly silly.

(I wish more agile processes were presented as 'hey this is a useful technique given the situation X and forces Y, it achieves Z' and we could just sensibly pick out the things that make sense in our situation with justification - but no, we're looking at cargo cult scrum with no product owners and hard quotes and estimating 500 hours of work up front.)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

PHP used a philosophy of keeping the same function API as the underlying C lib it was exposing - that's pretty much why you have all the things like mysql_real_escape_string as that is literally what mysql named its charset-aware escaping function.

Modern PHP is okay, not my fave language for fun, but the contempt culture around it is pretty bad.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Munkeymon posted:

That just makes me wonder what's wrong with Magento that it's slower to generate SQL than it is to cache it in a database.

https://github.com/magento/magento2/blob/develop/app/code/Magento/Catalog/Model/Product.php#L386 is my favorite example of Magento madness.

Mage1 used a static service locator for dependencies, Mage2 read somewhere that that's Bad and dependency injection is Good, so converted over to this kind of constructor because Good is better than Bad.

I appreciate the @SuppressWarnings(PHPMD.ExcessiveParameterList) in particular

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Stack overflow and irc are inhabited by people burned out through spending all day answering the same questions and so they optimise question policy for them and bite the living gently caress out of newbies for asking wrong.

In a workplace the environment is generally quite different, err in the direction of asking that q.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Our jira setup was going great, replacing our hacked-around copper, until people started doing custom workflows

Now there are 15 states and required transitions and the transition names don't match the new state so you get to guess that REQUIRES MR sends you to INTERNAL QA and there are two different end points RESOLVED and COMPLETE and neither actually sets the resolved flag on issues and it's only a little longer before we reach

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

My psychic powers tell me that if open plan offices were more expensive real estate than private offices it'd instantly be offices all round as a standard.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Just had another two hour meeting with 12 people bikeshedding jira workflows.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

redleader posted:

I had one where you could apply search filters using syntax very similar to that of a SQL where clause.

Then I sent through a malformed parameter and got back a syntax error exception from their DB.

Yeah I love it when an API basically demonstrates for you how to SQLI the database at the far end in its own error messages.

The worst longterm hack I've had with APIs is an ecommerce job where I'm regularly updating price and special price data at my end. There's a getProductInfo call to make, but it doesn't include special price info because they've been implemented as a loyalty discount if you're a customer.

So the only way to get the special price we could find is, roughly,

* call createGuestCart, get a cartID1
* call addProductToCart(cartID1,SKU)
* call getCartTotal(cartID)
* call createCustomerCart(customerID) where this is a magic customerID we keep around for this
* call addProductToCart(cartID2,SKU)
* call getCartTotal(cartID2)
* if the total for cart2 is lower than cart1, then we know the product's on special!

Repeat for 30k SKUs each day. Hope they never delete the magic customer.

I was on the phone with the vendor for hours over months trying to determine a better way of doing this and they couldn't think of one.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

geeves posted:

Jira was good until about 5 or 6 years ago when they decided to be EVERY SINGLE THING.

Our "workflow" at one point was an MC Escher masterpiece.

This has been really loving me off since it's taken 5 or 6 years for us to actually get Jira in place, and now a bunch of the stuff I looked at when trialling it years ago is trash. I keep looking up features and finding tickets explaining how they've been removed from the cloud version. Why am i resorting to tampermonkey to get things like timestamps on updates?

It didn't help that we had people setting up workflows without trying them out leading to things like START WORK and IN PROGRESS being two different buttons leading into different flow routes and no ability to go back if you clicked the wrong thing

Confluence is particularly awful now - you can't even edit using wikitext at this point and it's trying to look like a social media post instead of anything useful.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I say 'agile is a set of techniques we can choose from to make us more effective'and what gets heard is 'agile is a set of buzzwords we can use to tell our customers we are cheaper' and they're not quite the same thing

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I saw some slides the other day that included blocking out 'wfw' meetings in order to get any time to work from work.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Cool, GitHub now allows users to make unlimited private repos on the free tier.

There's some things you can't do, like add more than 3 contributors but still. I often have personal projects I'm working on that I don't want public yet but would like to store on GitHub and this is perfect.

I have a heap of stuff on gitlab because of this. Nice to see.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Watching small agency teams try and do scrum is enraging. oh look you planned out seven sprints worth of work for 1 person to do in advance, that was a good use of days of slaving in jira for this fixed-price job

it's improving though

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah it's pretty crazy how completely non-scrum has been memory-holed and how a lot of PMs have never encountered anything else. It really shows up when talking about QA and deployment.

I still think we should be making people read McConnell's Rapid Development first before letting them out.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

look have you considered just adding a new workflow to fix it

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I quit my agency job end of last year and having all-day 'what are our values' whiteboard workshops the same week we were being told developer utilisation time was too low was a nontrivial part of it.

turns out the MANTRA developed from the workshop was that we cared a lot about our customers while also having fun doing it! That was a great use of 300 person-hours.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

(this was the same place where the dev team arrived in the new office to check it out and discovered that they'd arranged for giant vinyl coloured text on the wall in the dev area saying IF YOU DON'T SHUT YOUR TWITTER WE'LL SKYPE YOU IN THE FACEBOOK')

(it disappeared very quickly)

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Volmarias posted:

This specific scenario is where the metaphor breaks down, and why I don't (and others don't) use user stories for things. User stories are excellent for mainly visual content, with minor backend processing, but they fall down for things like "As a driver, I want the car to start when I use the ignition" which is a button press to the user and an absolute ton more behind the scenes.

See if you can have specific tasks broken down an epic or whatever the term is now, so that the user story is an overarching goal, not one specific task, then create subtasks from there and consider those as you would the story.

Back a bit but man this gave me flashbacks to a previous gig where they absolutely would not consider thinking about systems outside the lens of user stories, and refuse to do (or allow time for) actual analysis / design / planning of the system that's supposed to fulfil them. So you'd end up with specs containing user stories that implied huge non-user-facing features and bafflement when suggesting that you might need to build things outside that concept. Very much one of those tools that people latch onto.

I am a big fan of user stories as a chunk of the overall design where you use them to validate the actual system you're going to build, but then you actually design things coherently and use the stories to check up that your design actually achieves useful things. The other big failure is when you look at your tickets as a whole and realise that these six different stories are actually one piece of work, and giving them to a dev one at a time was a disaster.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Steve French posted:

There’s an epidemic among my coworkers where they use “deprecated” to mean “removed/deleted” and I can’t handle it.

I've started to see 'demised' used more and more, eurgh.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I didn't want to go back to the office because modern open plan offices are still loving awful for any kind of focus work and WFH reminded me of that. People talk about monkey social dynamics, well having a chunk of my brain paying attention to all the people around me and walking behind me and having those vigorous debates two desks over is miserable.

also you can never ever ever say 'your dog in the office is being a pain in the rear end' or you meet instant social death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

we've been mandated to switch from confluence release notes to jira releases

i am not allowed permissions to create/edit releases for, allegedly, ISO reasons.

as a sysadmin i have access to the jira master admin account but i am not allowed to use it to give myself the perms, so instead i slack the head of engineering for every release setup, update, typo fix, and date update.