Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Crossposted from the front-end thread as I didn't realize nobody's posted there in a week, sorry!

--

I hope this is the right place, looking for some insight.

I just graduated with a BSc in compsci and I've been offered a frontend position at a startup, which is owned by a huge company in my country, for pretty decent pay considering I have no real-world programming experience.

I'll be using JavaScript, React, Async, and Redux, and will apparently be given some exposure to backend (my preference) and mobile development.

Now the hosed up part, I never used any of those technologies throughout my degree. The last three I'd never even heard of until I started researching after the interview. I was very up-front about my experience and was assured it wasn't an issue, though I was made aware that I "will be learning a gently caress load".

The whole thing seems bewildering to me but I'm committed now, or at least intend to be after I receive the contract and it checks out - provided I'm not about to make a stupid mistake. That said, one of my circle of friends is made up of mostly mid-senior developers and a couple architects who've all seen my work, and assured me that I'll be fine.

So far, I've picked up the javascript fundamentals from Codecademy and I'm in the process of trying to wrap my head around React from the obvious resources I could find, and I'll be spending the weekend doing the same for Async and Redux. I'm also in the process of building every basic javascript app I can find tutorials for.

For reference, all my spare time is spent with coding, at the gym, gaming, or with the missus so I'm not worried about being able to fit in a lot of research and practice in my own time, after work, as it'll probably be necessary.

My question - am I hosed, or is it likely that since I have no experience outside of uni I'm overthinking the difficulty of being thrown into several technologies I've never heard of? Finally, could anyone recommend some learning resources for the four things I've listed?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Illegal Move posted:

This sounds completely normal to me. I am currently still in my second year for my BSc, but I've also been working as a developer for about a year now. I don't remember a single junior who started during this year who knew anything about any kind of framework - even in Java or Python, which are the main languages taught in the big universities here. They just knew how to do school assignment type things.

Honestly frameworks aren't that hard to pick up. My advice to you: think of some specific web project, something simple. A blog, a forum, something like that. Then just try to build it using the software and tools you'll be using at work. Use documentation, stackoverflow, if you can find some tutorials then that can be a good starting point. Just keep it simple so you can finish it in a few days, maybe a week. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn a new technology.

Probably the most reassuring thing I've heard yet, I've likely been focusing a little too much on the fundamentals, gonna dive into a project. Thanks.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Hello, fellow "new to the real world of programming" buddy! :buddy:

You're basically in the same position I was ~8 months ago. It's not so hard, trust me. You'll almost certainly be working with an established codebase and experienced colleauges. These both give you a foundation to work on, and nobody is going to expect you to start cranking out full systems from the day you land. Just ask a ton of questions and abuse the hell out of your VCS, and you'll be up and running pretty drat quick.

Hah, thanks! I naively expected to be thrown in the deep end on a project of my own but now that I think about it that's retarded. Can't wait to start.

Finster Dexter posted:

Doesn't sound hosed to me. Sounds like typical programming job. As a backend guy, I would definitely manage expectations about doing frontend work, but with these modern js frameworks, it ends up being a lot like backend code anyway; you'll end up with models, controllers, etc. that follow some very similar paradigms, but instead of making calls against a database, you're making calls against an AJAX service.

The guy interviewing me mentioned a lot of the same things when talking about how, initially, he wants me exposed to all aspects of development so this is reassuring as hell, thanks.

NoDamage posted:

This is completely normal. The degree teaches you theory/fundamentals, not any specific technologies (which generally change too quickly to be taught in school). Would be nice if they taught some basic software engineering skills though (like version control), considering most CS graduates will end up in the industry afterwards.

Awesome, thanks. Everyone seems to mirror the feelings of the people I've talked to IRL, apparently I was severely overthinking everything. I mirror your feelings about a compsci degree though, Git and more web development practise than "Assignment X: build thing in HTML/CSS/PHP" would have been great; it makes sense that they don't bother with frameworks though, never thought of it that way.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Axiem posted:

When I graduated college, Ruby on Rails was still in version 1, and among my fellow students, I'd only heard it once or twice, as a "hey, I heard about this thing, and it's interesting, but not worth using yet" sort of thing. Also, the iPhone wasn't out yet, and mobile was definitely not a thing. Hadoop was not a thing, and I don't remember ever hearing about "big data" in school. We did all of our AJAX calls by hand in my Internet Programming course; at that time, jQuery didn't even exist yet. Neither did node.js. Or Angular. Or whatever the new hotness is. Stack Overflow did not exist. There was no Github (git wasn't even particularly well-known; we used SVN in my one class that mentioned version control). My Software Engineering class focused primarily on waterfall, because agile was "just a fad". We never talked about writing unit tests or anything like that.

Some of that might have been the failure of my professors, but some of it was simply that some things were just not as widely known about in the software engineering world.

That's just the nature of the industry: things change quickly, and new technologies arrive on the scene. It's much less (in my opinion) about whether or not you've used each technology; it's much more about being able to pick up new stuff and keep building. Learn how to keep getting better.

It's rad to know that other people had a similar experience at uni, I'm fuckin stoked if all I have to do is be willing to continuously learn and improve; poo poo's half the fun of coding for me.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Click Beelay posted:

Crossposted from the front-end thread as I didn't realize nobody's posted there in a week, sorry!

--

I hope this is the right place, looking for some insight.

I just graduated with a BSc in compsci and I've been offered a frontend position at a startup, which is owned by a huge company in my country, for pretty decent pay considering I have no real-world programming experience.

I'll be using JavaScript, React, Async, and Redux, and will apparently be given some exposure to backend (my preference) and mobile development.

Now the hosed up part, I never used any of those technologies throughout my degree. The last three I'd never even heard of until I started researching after the interview. I was very up-front about my experience and was assured it wasn't an issue, though I was made aware that I "will be learning a gently caress load".

The whole thing seems bewildering to me but I'm committed now, or at least intend to be after I receive the contract and it checks out - provided I'm not about to make a stupid mistake. That said, one of my circle of friends is made up of mostly mid-senior developers and a couple architects who've all seen my work, and assured me that I'll be fine.

So far, I've picked up the javascript fundamentals from Codecademy and I'm in the process of trying to wrap my head around React from the obvious resources I could find, and I'll be spending the weekend doing the same for Async and Redux. I'm also in the process of building every basic javascript app I can find tutorials for.

For reference, all my spare time is spent with coding, at the gym, gaming, or with the missus so I'm not worried about being able to fit in a lot of research and practice in my own time, after work, as it'll probably be necessary.

My question - am I hosed, or is it likely that since I have no experience outside of uni I'm overthinking the difficulty of being thrown into several technologies I've never heard of? Finally, could anyone recommend some learning resources for the four things I've listed?

Thanks.

I don't really have a place to share this kind of thing in real life besides my partner but ~2.5 years after the above post I'm about to sign the contract for the lead developer position at this cool little place that took a chance on me! In this time we've grown from a local company of ~7 people to 30+ operating across two countries and it's been a wild ride.

My first ~1.5 years was spent grinding/building stuff/leetcode/learning something almost daily after work but it's paid off! I've had junior, intermediate, senior, and now lead contracts during my time here and my salary has increased by 267% since my original post. I don't get to code as much as I'd like to any more but it's rewarding as hell helping all the devs and QA guys grow, I've had the lead responsibilities since January so the new contract is essentially just a very happy and welcome acknowledgement.

Thanks thread for being a supportive environment when I doubted myself a lot. You guys are awesome and our industry is awesome.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Nice job, holy poo poo. I've been in the industry for like 3.5 years and I'm nowhere near your level.

Thanks man. I was fortunate in that, for a long time, I was able to spend several hours a day learning after work due to having no major responsibilities. I've since bought a house and moved in with my partner so less time for grinding udemy/leetcode nowadays.

Keep in mind all my professional experience is 100% focused on a specific tech stack and tool sets, specifically MERN, GraphQL, some Postgres, TravisCI, AWS, Docker, etc. If I were to find employment elsewhere using a different tech stack and tools it's unlikely that I would be comfortable coming in as lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

That genuinely means a lot, thanks man. Still have a lot of imposter syndrome when meeting other devs at conferences/meetups but after 2.5 years I've kinda gotten used to it and keep stumbling forward anyway.