Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably the most important thing that Sonar reminds you to do is thrown meaningful exceptions. Just throwing "exception" isn't a good idea; it should be an indicator of just what went wrong so that way when it does go wrong (remember, it's not if your program crashes it's when) you have a good indicator of just what did go wrong and have an easier time tracking it down.

This makes me feel pretty vindicated about all those exceptions I wrote that some of my team members roll their eyes at. I usually get the last laugh when there's a problem and VerySpecificNameForProblemException gets thrown and shows up in a log and I'm like :smug: "there's your problem"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The business side of my office ended up getting Jira for support and account issue tracking. The VP of development forbade developers from getting accounts on it or using it in any capacity because we already have gitlab as well as TFS for legacy software and three tracking systems was a bridge too far.

Also he just wanted to kind of stick it to the business guys which was pretty cool.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

netcat posted:

I wish this actually worked. I've tried so many times to tell people to review my work in progress stuff only to get ignored every time. Of course actually getting people to review your code at all is a struggle.

We dedicate a portion of our morning standup to dole out pending merge requests waiting for review/approval. It's not perfect and it can still sometimes take 24 hours to get someone to look at something, but it improved drastically from what it was before.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

thotsky posted:

I need you to understand the transition from "refactoring" to "some more refactoring"!

What about, "trying something" followed by "didn't work, trying something else"?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

The Cavern of COBOL › Working in Development: Leaving sounds like a great decision.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Not being real plugged into this, but why is Docker probably going to fail in the next 3 years as a company?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

A zillion companies use docker (the technology) and basically nobody pays Docker (the company).

Got it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

I have seen multiple startups use off shore technical resources and it never works out because it is hard to be “agile” and move fast and break stuff with someone who is 12 hours adjacent.

lol my company's attempt to use offshore development was an abysmal failure that ended up causing more work for on site employees. Thankfully management wasn't pig headed about it and gave up early enough - but not before burning out a couple of real good developers who left.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I currently have to use teams and slack. 80% teams and 20% slack. It's a baffling setup, because people will randomly choose to use one or the other with no discernable pattern.

I loathe teams.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

This.

At the minimum this is “okay here’s your performance improvement plan” territory of fuckups.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Jabor posted:

Therefore, anyone who knows the git CLI probably knows how to actually use git well

Sort of? I exclusively use the cli, but 98% of my work is using add/commit/push/pull/checkout/merge and if I encounter a situation even remotely outside of the happy path I get paranoid and start asking someone I trust to double check what I'm doing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Volmarias posted:

"Sorry, I need to drop now, please reach out if you still need me for something thanks"

I basically have this on a macro

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

DkHelmet posted:

Devs report slowness in a prod system, he ssh'd in and ran free. He noticed that it was near 95% used, so he doubled the instance size. Reboot, ssh in, notice it's at 95% again, redouble instance and reboot. He wasn't aware that linux uses buffers and will greedily make use of ram, and didn't know the difference between free and available. Dude never heard of memory pressure and PSI either. The underlying slowness was a long running query with no indexes over yonder in RDS.

*reads this post* *checks notes for own job title* *furiously begins googling about linux memory*

At least I know how to horizontally scale in AWS.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

epswing posted:

Or they could write this in about 20 seconds:
C# code:
int SumNumbers(IEnumerable<int> numbers) => numbers.Sum();

It's been two years since I worked on dot net, I definitely know IEnumerable (although apparently not IEnumerable<T> as well as I thought), LINQ and expressions, but I would not have known off hand that IEnumerable<T> had a sum function and might have needed a "maybe IEnumerable has a method that can help" prompt to make me go look. I recall it now, but I had forgotten all about the aggregate functions that are available.

I'm sorry we can't work together.

But yeah coming up with good interview questions is hard. Yours isn't bad or scary. When I was doing interviews at my last company I mainly focused on questions surrounding Tasks because we did alot of async work. On the flip side when I was doing interviews for my current job I was freaking out for days before hand about the possibility of having to code in front of people (remotely). In the end only ONE company out of like eight I interviewed for asked me to do one and it was a walk in the park.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

brand engager posted:

Every time interviewing comes up in here it reveals that most of you are testing for "can this person read my mind" rather than anything useful.

I've never been a hiring manager, but I've been asked to sit in on interviews and come up with questions and its hard. As mentioned a few times I don't think it's a good idea to try and go looking for someone who has memorized the IEnumerable<T> interface (epswing clarified their answer so I'm not picking on them with this example), it's better imo to set up problems that let you see how they work while also getting a sense for their understanding of the language as a whole. And coming up with good questions that do this imo isn't easy. With clarification I think epswing's is pretty good actually.

Man, there was a point at my previous job where the interview process was incredibly arduous. I didn't have to go through it myself, my interview (poo poo... back in uhh 2012) was very simple. But it reached a point where the candidate was subjected to like 4 hours including a coding portion and where every single team would send people to ask culture questions and we'd cycle them into the room in shifts. I complained to my boss who was in charge that I didn't agree and thought we were actively scaring away excellent candidates and no other team but ours should have a say at all in who we're hiring. I think they toned it down, but who knows both my boss and I left eventually and they stopped hiring in any case.

Super glad the whole remote work thing led to quick one hour interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Imagine you have to use both. And although 90% of your job is in teams, some outside contractors use slack and we are required to monitor it.

End result: Nobody monitors slack except my boss who then angrily notifies us we're needed in some slack discussion.