Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My previous boss^1 just used ChatGPT to write a LinkedIn recommendation for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ChickenWing posted:

and the environment plus deadlines grinding the initiative out of everyone who tries to make things better
I'm in this post and I don't like it

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
*checks DL request, and it's still not approved*

Me: Hey I requested to join this DL two days ago, can you please approve it?

(2 hours later)

Guy: Hi, it's already approved

Me: It was not approved when I asked this morning

Guy: No, it was approved yesterday

*checks DL request, and it's still not approved*

Me: *sends a screenshot showing that it's still not approved*

Guy: ...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Volmarias posted:

"unable to leave the region for whatever reason" and "wouldn't get hired in a competitive job market"
look buddy i dont know how you found out who i am but you need to stop doxxing me like right now

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

the new owners are getting frustrated why we are slower than their other more Greenfield team.
This must be why tech debt never gets addressed, and they keep reinventing the wheel from scratch endlessly.

Maybe the real career strategy isn't to fix what's broken or to cut costs, but rather to just endlessly bootstrap replacements from scratch and then hand off the components to other people so you can start on the next replacement to bootstrap.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

This remains the single bastion of good code on the internet

How do we monetize this?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

lifg posted:

So I was an early employee at a startup with an abusive CEO, I built the entire first version of their product, and then I was fired. Now, two years later, I’m watching them slowly launch. And it hurts knowing that they might succeed with a product that I poured so much sweat into. I don’t want to be bitter, but it’s hard sometimes.

Worst case scenario, I hope you can at least put it on your resume and say in interviews that you built it from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

It's just not convincing to me that someone says something is mandatory, zero-fail or mission-critical but won't actually engineer something to support that.
Alright listen here, hotshot: we are gonna do that as a fast-follow after we get our MVP out and do our initial ramp. Then, once the ramp starts, we're going to pass off everything your team developed to another team who will have no idea what's happening, and then when they ask us for help we'll tell them that we don't have capacity because we're working on the next big important business priority. Basically what I'm saying is that we'll do it, but it won't be us.