Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013
I am currently enjoying our 3 week iterations now being divided into three 1 week iterations by an administrative process to track what we are doing each week, its not like our ALM doesn't show what we are working on or there isn't source history to see what we check in day to day.

So now we have 3 mini iterations inside of our actual iteration with planning and commitment and testing grouped around half features and disjointed efforts until we come to our 3rd mini iteration. Management fails to see how this is not putting into our ALM a 3 week iteration but functionally operating with 1 week iterations. But yay for tripping our overhead, making our stand up and always run over by talking about are we going to make this weeks progress every day and adding a new weekly meeting to plan and commit for our next weeks work.

My all time favorite poo poo storm that had come out of this system is committing same week to a production push that relied on code changes the day prior, QA fails and we miss commitment and management is like HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

Tomorrow I get to live through another planning meeting on how I will be planning for more planning now, I remember when most of my time was writing code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I like the Agile experiment we're running at my company overall for one particular reason - once the planning is done and we actually start the sprint, management gets out of the loving way and lets us work. Most of the time, at least, and if they do start meddling we can politely tell them to butt out. There hasn't been any blowback on us for that so far. It's pretty nice being able to decide how much we can get done and how we get it done, entirely on our own.

But wait for a time leadership will pat themselves on the back and be tell each other, "We did a thing, YAY" And then they will realize there is less of a need for them to be around for development and will try to interject themselves into the process and gently caress it all up. I have seen certain personalities believe that a project will fail without them baby sitting developers for 3 weeks straight.

Largo Usagi
Jan 9, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

The management at my company doesn't appear to have that particular personality issue. That's not to say it's perfect; my boss for example tends to thrive under stress and exudes this aura of mild panic when something goes wrong. But he also generally responds well when we tell him to back off (politely) and let us deal with it, as long as we keep him in the loop.

My team has changed hands a few times and under one leader we had our good practices go to poo poo, I am just a little jaded after seeing hard work going into a good process get ruined becomes some one higher up is insecure about not being in absolute control of every aspect.